Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #8,131 of 23,468
  BTW, do you guys think HD800 is a better can, or do some of you love the HD600 more?

HD800 indeed better assuming you have a good setup. Most important is the source it self. Play crap audio will give you crap sound from HD800. I think HD600 is good enough for me but if your budget allow, go for HD800.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #8,132 of 23,468
  What kind of amps do well with the AKG K701 phones? I would probably go with the Q701 because of price and value I see it on sale alot. But I was wondering what amp would suit them

O2 perhaps... If you like flat sound... I only tried Q701 with Ocean Bravo and O2... Good pairing, but not my liking.

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #8,133 of 23,468
  What kind of amps do well with the AKG K701 phones? I would probably go with the Q701 because of price and value I see it on sale alot. But I was wondering what amp would suit them

Something that outputs reasonably good current - rather than straight voltage.  So preferably a good solid state.  I always preferred my NFB-12 when using the AKGs - rather than the LD MKIV.

I had thought the Q701 had a bit more warm and liveliness too it? Is that true or not

Not warmth as in sub and mid-bass (which is the common meaning).  They are more tilted to the mid-range (and especially upper mids).  Drivers are also really fast.  Bass is not prominent (some find them bass light).  If I was to describe them - it would be well balanced, but on the brighter and airier side of neutral, and with a slightly forward midrange - great for vocals and acoustic instruments.  Expansive sound stage - but sometimes quite L/C/R rather than enveloping.

I'm often still tempted to repurchase either the K702 or even K612 - but I know they wouldn't get headtime with the T1's around nowadays.  Whenever we head home with the family to see Mum (she's now in her late 70's and still loves classical), I get to listen to my old K701s (gift for her birthday a few years ago), and I'm still captivated by how good they can be.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #8,134 of 23,468

Something that outputs reasonably good current - rather than straight voltage.  So preferably a good solid state.  I always preferred my NFB-12 when using the AKGs - rather than the LD MKIV.

Not warmth as in sub and mid-bass (which is the common meaning).  They are more tilted to the mid-range (and especially upper mids).  Drivers are also really fast.  Bass is not prominent (some find them bass light).  If I was to describe them - it would be well balanced, but on the brighter and airier side of neutral, and with a slightly forward midrange - great for vocals and acoustic instruments.  Expansive sound stage - but sometimes quite L/C/R rather than enveloping.

I'm often still tempted to repurchase either the K702 or even K612 - but I know they wouldn't get headtime with the T1's around nowadays.  Whenever we head home with the family to see Mum (she's now in her late 70's and still loves classical), I get to listen to my old K701s (gift for her birthday a few years ago), and I'm still captivated by how good they can be.

Hm, I am understanding what you are expressing about these headphones and their overall sound.That is what I had believed the K701 to be and I had read quite a bit about comparisons between the DT 880s, K701s, HD600s. I am very happy with the DT 880s and am surprised how much a difference they are, to me at least, in comparisons to the 990s.

I am even more thrilled about the HD600s though, and my friend is a saint for sending them to me so quickly. I will be doing some a/bing between the two, but not until I get some one on one time with the 600s. I have honestly been up in the air about the 880s and Senns because what I really have been wanting is the SoundMagic HP200s( whcih I have heard and read nothing but positive) after really getting to know and love the closed back version of the model(HP100) It has been on my short list to purchase the HP200s. It is just a damn shame they are never on sale in the used and classifieds, most likely because they are not as popular and maybe perhaps because the people that did purchase them never got rid of them because they enjoy the sound. I am a little worried about the clamp force of the HD600s though being that I have a larger than average head. 

I will definitely be getting back on this thread on Friday though after spending at least acouple hours and spending some quality time I will be giving my impressions and then perhaps later on a write a review of this headphone. Thanks for all teh information guys, it helped me out with some knowledge that was long overdo. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #8,136 of 23,468
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #8,137 of 23,468
Stupid question
Why would you want to own HD6x0, DT880 and K701?
Dont they sound fairly similar ?

Nope - all very different in their presentation. Just read the last couple of pages and there are some impressions on the differences. The one thing all 3 have in common as that they were all considered TOTL a few years ago, and at the much lower pricing today are all very much bargains. If you search the forums for comparisons, you'll get plenty of opinions on their strengths and contrasts.

I had all 3 at the same time (a while ago) - it was a great multi-combo!

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #8,138 of 23,468
Nope - all very different in their presentation. Just read the last couple of pages and there are some impressions on the differences. The one thing all 3 have in common as that they were all considered TOTL a few years ago, and at the much lower pricing today are all very much bargains. If you search the forums for comparisons, you'll get plenty of opinions on their strengths and contrasts.

I had all 3 at the same time (a while ago) - it was a great multi-combo!

Which of the three would you recommend to an avid rock listener? Bands I primarily listen to are in my profile, if you need a frame of reference (it only includes bands I listen to more than a few singles from).

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #8,139 of 23,468
Stupid question
Why would you want to own HD6x0, DT880 and K701?
Dont they sound fairly similar ?

No.

That is why they are referred to as the mid-fi trifecta. They are the former top of the line from each manufacturer and have a distinctive sound to each company.

Buying all three gives one a great view on the different sounds preferred and allows for very good sound. Better sound to be had, for sure, above that price level - much more above that level.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #8,141 of 23,468
Which of the three would you recommend to an avid rock listener? Bands I primarily listen to are in my profile, if you need a frame of reference (it only includes bands I listen to more than a few singles from).

Nice list 
smile.gif
 - we share a similar taste for Grunge.  I absolutely love Seether, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam - especially Vedder (favourite male vocalist).

Let me see - what kind of sound do you like?  Quick down and dirty description:

HD600 = open, airy but not overly expansive/ more decay (often perceived as slower), neutralish - but not flat, very natural sounding (most realistic timbre and tone), bassiest of the 3 as far as impact goes - but it's primarily mid-bass.
Weaknesses = can sometimes sound a little polite, a little slow, and a little thumpy - I still rank it as technically the best overall sounding of the three.

DT880 = open, airy, again not overly expansive, brighter and perception of more detail than HD600 (this is only perception IMO), a lot flatter / more neutral, faster, better bass quality than the HD600, and more extended both ends.
Weaknesses = can sometimes be overly bright and etched, mid-range can also be perceived as sometimes being recessed - it's not - it's just that the signature overall is the most neutral of the three

K701/2 = open, airy, expansive, DT880 is brighter overall, but AKG sits behind it, very fast (faster than DT880 IMO), least bass of the 3 - but very high quality bass, mids are slightly elevated, but I find them very natural - maybe even a little euphoric.
Weaknesses = soundstage is almost too big, and can be a little left/center/right rather than circular, if underpowered bass can go AWOL (right amp and the bass is fantastic), some have called the mids plasticky or false (I always loved them) - least comfortable of the three

For Seether I'd probably pick the DT880 or K701, for PJ it would be the HD600, for Nirvana could be any of the 3.

Safest for Rock would probably be the DT880 - but safest isn't necessarily the best.

Sorry - probably didn't help much.  You need to see if you can hear all 3 side by side.  IMO HD600 and DT880 are good with either tubes or SS.  K701/2 are definitely at their best with a high current SS amp.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #8,142 of 23,468
Actually one you should try if you get the chance is the AKG612 - more comfortable, cheaper, and more bass.

Here's a review I did comparing the AKG K612 and AKG K702 - http://www.head-fi.org/t/685483/akg-k702-the-classic-vs-k612-pro-the-upstart-review-and-comparison

It might have some interest for you.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #8,143 of 23,468
I could not agree more with the HD600 for Pearl Jam. I think Eddie Vedder's vocals would benefit more from the thicker presentation of the HD600 than the DT880 or K701.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #8,144 of 23,468
  I could not agree more with the HD600 for Pearl Jam. I think Eddie Vedder's vocals would benefit more from the thicker presentation of the HD600 than the DT880 or K701.

Just for giggles I threw on Backspacer tonight - started with the T1, then switched to the HD600 and replayed the same tracks.  Still going through the album now.  Guess which are still on my head?

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #8,145 of 23,468

Just for giggles I threw on Backspacer tonight - started with the T1, then switched to the HD600 and replayed the same tracks.  Still going through the album now.  Guess which are still on my head?

I'm not familiar with that album but I'm guessing for the track 'The Fixer' the HD600 would master if better than the T1? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back