Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #7,156 of 23,434
Sorry ProtegeManiac & HiPiper, what I meant is that recently, my HD600 highlights the distortion of the recording very clearly but I've double checked with another headphone and it turns out that the particular track is distorted. I was a little worried that my HD600's driver is giving way. Does anybody here experience a damaged driver with their HD600 yet?

I have had my pair over 10years, daily use and the only things I have had to replace/repair were the earpads/headband pad and the cables. They are built like a Mack truck internally. I guess I could plug them into my Lyr and crank the volume all the way up, but I am talking normal use. I even fall asleep with them on quite often and they are still pluggin along quite nicely.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #7,157 of 23,434
Sorry ProtegeManiac & HiPiper, what I meant is that recently, my HD600 highlights the distortion of the recording very clearly but I've double checked with another headphone and it turns out that the particular track is distorted. I was a little worried that my HD600's driver is giving way. Does anybody here experience a damaged driver with their HD600 yet?

I've noticed this, too. On Beck's new album Morning Phase, I noticed that the drums were unpleasantly distorted on "Heart Is A Drum" and "Say Goodbye." Listening with PX100-II on an iPod reveals that the distortion is in the tracks, however it doesn't sound as strong as it does with the HD600.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #7,158 of 23,434

I've noticed this, too. On Beck's new album Morning Phase, I noticed that the drums were unpleasantly distorted on "Heart Is A Drum" and "Say Goodbye." Listening with PX100-II on an iPod reveals that the distortion is in the tracks, however it doesn't sound as strong as it does with the HD600.

I've noticed this as well in regards to Morning Phase and found it disappointing. I was listening with my LCD-2's when I first heard it and had to confirm what I was hearing with my HD600's. Some of the tracks sound fantastic, so I don't know if it was intended as an effect of sorts? Whatever the case, it doesn't work for me.

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #7,159 of 23,434
  I've noticed this as well in regards to Morning Phase and found it disappointing. I was listening with my LCD-2's when I first heard it and had to confirm what I was hearing with my HD600's. Some of the tracks sound fantastic, so I don't know if it was intended as an effect of sorts? Whatever the case, it doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking.
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #7,160 of 23,434

I'll have to give that a listen, make sure its not just string rattle or something.  I just got it today.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #7,161 of 23,434
I find the "distortion" on the last track, Waking Light, to be especially noticeable. It can be heard on some of the vocals in the track as well...almost sounds like clipping to me. Pity as it's a stunning song otherwise. I can only assume this was intentional (I don't think Beck's a hack). I'm just at a loss as to why.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #7,163 of 23,434
I was going to get a cheaper tube amp like the Vali but I decided that if I'm going to get a tube amp I might as well go big so I'm saving a bit more to get something like the WA6 so let us know how it sounds with the HD600.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #7,164 of 23,434

Some have, and they ordered a new pair of drivers from Sennheiser. Note that these are likely the first runs of the HD600, and they've been around for over ten years, so these really aren't surprising.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #7,165 of 23,434
Thanks for the info ProtegeManiac. The track "Water Sign" (second track of Jeff Lorber's Definitive Collection) sounds distorted that I thought my HD600 drivers are damaged and i came to find out that it was poor mastering that made it sound so distorted when I checked with my Etymotic ER4PT and sure enough the kick drums and bass of the track is saturated. All is good now after confirming on the distortion on the Etymotic ER4PT.

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #7,166 of 23,434
Just bought a pair of broken in HD700.  Evaluating against HD600.  I like them both.  The 600 are kinda like apple pie or chicken soup...they're simple and not very complex.  Easy to like.  The HD700 detailed and a little more complex to figure out since I'm enjoying what I get from them, but have to tamp down the high end a bit to keep listening fatigue down.  I'm not one that minds applying a bit of EQ though so this doesn't bother me as much as it does many.  So, right now I'm figure out which to keep, but the 600 might need to help pay for the 700, at least in part.  If I go that route, it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up buying another pair of hd600 or 598 down the road.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #7,168 of 23,434
Keep the 600. The 700 isn't worth it's number.

The 700's are definitely better than the 600's in many ways. Comfort, sound, imaging, soundstage, separation - they're all better on the 700's. Used, the 700's are ~$500. Used, the 600's are ~$250. The 700's are easily worth $250 more than the 600's. They are much more engaging headphones though, and that type of sound may not be for you. In terms of technical ability, the 700's lie in between the 600's and 800's, and rightfully so are named the HD700's. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #7,169 of 23,434
  The 700's are definitely better than the 600's in many ways. Comfort, sound, imaging, soundstage, separation - they're all better on the 700's. Used, the 700's are ~$500. Used, the 600's are ~$250. The 700's are easily worth $250 more than the 600's. They are much more engaging headphones though, and that type of sound may not be for you. In terms of technical ability, the 700's lie in between the 600's and 800's, and rightfully so are named the HD700's. 

Thanks.  I don't want to turn this into a 700 discussion...but your brief summary is right about where I'm at with my feelings as well.  What's interesting is that the HD600 were my first higher end pair of headphones and though I haven't had them that long (ya know...head-fi upgrade-itis) I'd feel like if I sold them I'd be ridding myself of a dear friend.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #7,170 of 23,434

I must respectfully disagree, but of course this is only my opinion.  for me though, the 700 only excels in comfort.  I found the sound cold, out of balance, and unengaging.  I might concede though that soundstage is a bit better because of the angled design.  If they could have kept the 600 sound and widened the soundstage and separation they would have had a real winner.  instead, they just completely screwed up the tonal balance.  again, IMHO.

To each his own of course.  If you love it, thats all that really matters.  The time they spent with me was short lived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back