Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #7,186 of 23,482
And to be clear, in regards to the HD700's treble issue that I described-- I don't just mean it has emphasized treble. Generally speaking I found it to be a touch bright but I actually really liked the signature (my favorite headphone is the DT880 and the HD700 was quite similar in that regard). Personally I would not say the HD700 is overly bright. The issue was that a very small section of the treble frequencies sounded overly-emphasized and *distorted*. To my ears, the HD700 sound like they are clipping in this frequency range. I don't know what causes that and its the first time I've heard a mid/hi-end headphone sound like that. Obviously clipping is something that happens in the source, not in the headphones, but this issue I'm trying to describe sounded exactly like clipping and/or distortion from an over-emphasized signal. It was very strange and very disappointing.

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #7,187 of 23,482
  Thinking more on this.  Sennheiser really did put a lot of effort in the 700.  Obviously pulling what the learned from the technical marvel that is the hd800.  unfortunately, It just didn't transfer well IMHO.  I wonder if it actually came out how they wanted it.  or, could it be that they spent so much time and energy in its design, that they just put it out without tweaking.  I find that hard to believe, but it is just such an odd addition to the lineup.

I've always felt that with all the advanced tech in that headphone, that it should be better.  has anyone attempted mods on it?  just some thoughts.

As much as it may seem hard to  believe, perhaps someone back at the farm forgot to put on a pair of HD700's and listen while they were hatching thier plans.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #7,188 of 23,482
Hey guys .... what's the best AMP and DAC for HD600?  Under $700 total.

I tried Shiit Modi / Vali and to be honest ... not too impressed. (compared to my PC with old and low level sound card)

thanks

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #7,189 of 23,482

I tried Shiit Modi / Vali and to be honest ... not too impressed. (compared to my PC with old and low level sound card)

thanks

I wonder if $700 wouldn't be better spent on the next level of headphone. Just an idea, fwiw. I see nuances in dacs and amps, but its possible the bottleneck may be at your headphone. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #7,190 of 23,482
  I wonder if $700 wouldn't be better spent on the next level of headphone. Just an idea, fwiw. I see nuances in dacs and amps, but its possible the bottleneck may be at your headphone. 

I'll rephrase :)  I am impressed with HD600 sound ... love it ... but comparing running sound from PC versus connecting to DAC and AMP ... little sound improvement. :)

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #7,191 of 23,482

I'll rephrase :)  I am impressed with HD600 sound ... love it ... but comparing running sound from PC versus connecting to DAC and AMP ... little sound improvement. :)

In general, I've not seen much improvement by switching amps or dacs. I can see nuances I like from one amp or another, some brighter, some with tighter bass. I just wonder if the sound improvement you're looking for exists with the same headphone. 

By far the most sworn by amp on this thread is the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball, though I've never heard it myself. The only tubes I've heard are the Valhalla and the Vali, both of which seemed different flavors than improvements. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #7,192 of 23,482

In general, I've not seen much improvement by switching amps or dacs. I can see nuances I like from one amp or another, some brighter, some with tighter bass. I just wonder if the sound improvement you're looking for exists with the same headphone. 

By far the most sworn by amp on this thread is the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball, though I've never heard it myself. The only tubes I've heard are the Valhalla and the Vali, both of which seemed different flavors than improvements. 

Maybe I should just go, no DAC and just an Amp. Just wondering how to connect it to my PC....

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #7,193 of 23,482

thanks

I am getting excellent results with the bottlehead crack w/speedball, and the grant fidelity tubedac 11.  I believe the crack is THE amp for the 600's.  You could go anywhere on the DAC.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #7,195 of 23,482
You ever hear the 600s from the Mjolnir. Cause that's for sure some good Schiit. I like it better than the Crack, and I could call myself more of a tube guy than solid state. Iron grip, fully extended and quite the clear window to listen through.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #7,196 of 23,482
You ever hear the 600s from the Mjolnir. Cause that's for sure some good Schiit. I like it better than the Crack, and I could call myself more of a tube guy than solid state. Iron grip, fully extended and quite the clear window to listen through.

+1

The 650s from the Mjolnir are the same way.  Never heard them sound better.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #7,198 of 23,482

And I'll +1 that, because I have those too, and agree.

Nice!  
beerchug.gif
  I think the HD600 will be my next headphone purchase.  I've been wanting to hear and compare them for years.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #7,199 of 23,482
Before I buy the Asgard2 and test it on my own ... just curious.... how important is the dac?

Right now I am listening to Modi/Vali with my HD600. Sounds very, very nice ... biggest benefit I hear is louder volume and clearer recording I guess.

I am just thinking that my HD600 can benefit from a more serious Amp like Asgard2 and I may not even need the Modi dac.   

Modi/Vali = $273  or just  Asgard 2 = $259

My computer sound card is very basic. 

what do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back