Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #7,204 of 23,486
To be honest I have too many variables going on in my systems right now.  Rolled different tubes into the Lyr and am still evaluating them as I put some hours on them.  The Magni / Modi stack is only a few weeks old in my house and I've just added an iPad air into the picture.  When I get it all sorted out I'll have a much better opinion on comparing things.

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #7,205 of 23,486
  Hey guys .... what's the best AMP and DAC for HD600?  Under $700 total.

I tried Shiit Modi / Vali and to be honest ... not too impressed. (compared to my PC with old and low level sound card)

thanks

i think Crack  is an excellent choice for amp. It can even make HD800  sing . IMO it is more suitable for HD600 rather than HD800
   it doesn't require expensive tube to sound good & only requires one for pre section & one for power section. So no headache finding the match pair
   In addition, u can change the sound by changing the tubes --- eg .  Bendix WB vs stock tube RCA

I do own crack + speedball with mundolf caps & power tube like the GEC brown base,Bendix WB, Sylvania gold brand and several others
   I was surprise on how good the stock powertube sound

BTW - I do find an endgame rig for both my hd800  &  hd600.
  Why i purchase crack: ?  Just to see how far crack live to its accolades & also its ability to colored sound
  Can crack beats my existing rig? No .Absolute not
  Is crack a very good amplifier? Hell Yes. You cannot go wrong with the price

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #7,208 of 23,486
is it true that the pads wear off fast? some one on another thread said that and its cost 60$ for replacement

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #7,210 of 23,486
is it true that the pads wear off fast? some one on another thread said that and its cost 60$ for replacement

The best way to increase the lifespan of the pads is to bend the metal parts of the headband to reduce the clamp of the earcups against the sides of your head. Less pressure against your head = the pads last a lot longer. This also significantly improves comfort!

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #7,211 of 23,486

Is this an Australian thing like the water that swirls in the opposite direction in the sink? :p

That, by the way, is a common misconception. The water does not swirl the opposite way in the southern hemisphere.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #7,213 of 23,486
  Hey guys .... what's the best AMP and DAC for HD600?  Under $700 total.

I tried Shiit Modi / Vali and to be honest ... not too impressed. (compared to my PC with old and low level sound card)

thanks

Yea, similar experience for me too.  I bought the Schiit Magni and was not impressed at all.  Ended up selling it on eBay and I purchased the Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card.  MUCH happier now.  The Xonar Essence ST is a beast of a sound card and amplifier.  Pairs very well with my HD 600 and my HD 580.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #7,214 of 23,486
Yea, similar experience for me too.  I bought the Schiit Magni and was not impressed at all.  Ended up selling it on eBay and I purchased the Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card.  MUCH happier now.  The Xonar Essence ST is a beast of a sound card and amplifier.  Pairs very well with my HD 600 and my HD 580.

The Magni and Vali are quite different... The Magni is flat, dry, and gets the job done; the Vali is wet and sounds much higher end than the Magni.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #7,215 of 23,486
The Magni and Vali are quite different... The Magni is flat, dry, and gets the job done; the Vali is wet and sounds much higher end than the Magni.

Well, for me, the Magni did not get the job done.  And, I have no idea what a wet sound is but I know that the Xonar Essence ST is a beast.  Very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back