Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #6,901 of 23,482
  After you have some time with them try taking off the grills, that seemed to bring out the highs a bit more and make them sound even more open.  I also took out the foam that sits between your ear and the driver and replaced it with thin speaker fabric.  I'd be curious to see what other people think, I've been running my HD600s like that for over a year and a half now.

I'm listening to mine right now. I don't think that I feel the need to mess with purrfection. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #6,902 of 23,482
And I'm having a week long hiatus from any music listening... Still having issues with my overly sensitive hearing and some earache/discomfort..
I'm now sitting in a complete silence for more than a week and it's not going away. Going to see the doctor soon.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #6,903 of 23,482
  And I'm having a week long hiatus from any music listening... Still having issues with my overly sensitive hearing and some ear pain..
It's not going away. Going to see the doctor soon.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #6,904 of 23,482
  And I'm having a week long hiatus from any music listening... Still having issues with my overly sensitive hearing and some earache/discomfort..
I'm now sitting in a complete silence for more than a week and it's not going away. Going to see the doctor soon.

That really sucks!  Hopefully you'll be on the mend soon.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #6,905 of 23,482
  Don't really understand why tube amps are still around. If they sound different from SS it is most likely due to distortion, non-flat response or some other design flaw. Seems like a band-aid approach for a transducer defect. Headphones or speakers too bright? Get an amp that rolls off the treble and gives the impression of depth by adding distortion. But, if you must, check out http://schiit.com/products/vali. Its a tube version of the Magni and only $119.

Tim

Yeah, Mcintosh has no idea what its doing.  
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #6,907 of 23,482
  After you have some time with them try taking off the grills, that seemed to bring out the highs a bit more and make them sound even more open.  I also took out the foam that sits between your ear and the driver and replaced it with thin speaker fabric.  I'd be curious to see what other people think, I've been running my HD600s like that for over a year and a half now.

I'm listening now and I am absolutely loving these!! no way am I going to mess this gorgeous balanced sound up. the mid range is awesome. I think I prefer the mids on these to my 800s!! 

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #6,908 of 23,482
I'm listening now and I am absolutely loving these!! no way am I going to mess this gorgeous balanced sound up. the mid range is awesome. I think I prefer the mids on these to my 800s!! 

I am glad to hear you like them. Based on your previous comments, I knew you would.

Yeah, don't butcher them...they are perfect just the way Sennheiser engineers intended them to be.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #6,909 of 23,482
I am glad to hear you like them. Based on your previous comments, I knew you would.

Yeah, don't butcher them...they are perfect just the way Sennheiser engineers intended them to be.

What are you  talking about?  it takes literally 2 seconds to remove the grills or the foam behind the ear pads.... You can put it back in 2 seconds and it'll be as good as new lol not "butchering" anything.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #6,910 of 23,482
OK, the word "butchering" may be a little over the top, but any time you attempt to pry, unclip, pull, etc. on factory installed parts, you run the risk of a piece breaking, stretching, bending, or otherwise not going back exactly the way it came off.

Anyways, my point is that, in my opinion, some people are too quick to assume that they can make something better with "modding." The HD 600 has been around in one form or another for more than 20 years and the engineers employed by Sennheiser, then and now, designed and have refined them to the point of diminishing returns.

If someone has a personal preference for the way they sound (or think/expect they sound) with this part removed or that part coated with tin foil, more power to them. But I would not encourage others to follow suit. Just like with cars - when I was a kid I used to modify them with intake, suspension, chip, cam, exhaust "upgrades." It was fun and made my cars more unique, but they didnt necessarily "improve." Today I am happy keeping my cars stock.

Just my personal opinion.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #6,911 of 23,482
My thoughts exactly! For both audio components and cars, there is a certain personality type - the "do-it-yourselfer" - who generally believes things can be improved by tweaking/modding. Not saying that's never the case, but in my experience, professionally trained (and hired) audio engineers and automotive designers know more than you. Of course, in this age of Internet forums, everyone thinks they can do better. Better than the folks who managed to beat out lesser applicants to land those highly desireable engineering designer jobs. Just like everyone thinks they can write better TV commercials. Guess what? They can't.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #6,912 of 23,482
You're forgetting that audio is subjective.  "Sounding better" doesn't always mean the same thing some people want a warmer sound sig some people are bass heads and some one a flat FR.  Imo the mods make it a bit less warmer and adds more detail in the highs but that's obviously not what the engineers/designers were going for when they made the HD600.  

Tuning an engine is completely different as measuring "improvement" is black and white and everyone wants the same thing (increased power, top end, reliability, efficiency)  Where as measuring how good a headphone sounds is like personal taste granted that not everyone is after the same sound signature.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #6,913 of 23,482
My thoughts exactly! For both audio components and cars, there is a certain personality type - the "do-it-yourselfer" - who generally believes things can be improved by tweaking/modding. Not saying that's never the case, but in my experience, professionally trained (and hired) audio engineers and automotive designers know more than you. Of course, in this age of Internet forums, everyone thinks they can do better. Better than the folks who managed to beat out lesser applicants to land those highly desireable engineering designer jobs. Just like everyone thinks they can write better TV commercials. Guess what? They can't.

Guess what?

Do-it-yourself and check the difference out. And if it doesn't improve anything? You've learnt to appreciate another well-thought out element that the Sennheiser engineers have put into this product.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #6,914 of 23,482
 You're forgetting that audio is subjective.  "Sounding better" doesn't always mean the same thing some people want a warmer sound sig some people are bass heads and some one a flat FR.  Imo the mods make it a bit less warmer and adds more detail in the highs but that's obviously not what the engineers/designers were going for when they made the HD600.  

Tuning an engine is completely different as measuring "improvement" is black and white and everyone wants the same thing (increased power, top end, reliability, efficiency)  Where as measuring how good a headphone sounds is like personal taste granted that not everyone is after the same sound signature.

Audio is partly subjective and partly objective.

Read about the blind testing performed by Floyd Toole to see that, in spite of subjective preferences, engineers know what acoustic properties are preferred by most people. The designers of headphones know the target audience of their products and they design their headphones to satisfy the preferences of these people. They have great resources at their disposal and test equipment to fine tune their designs until they meet their goals.

Now it's true that some of the parts found in a headphone are there for cosmetic reasons. Some are there to keep dust/debris out. Some are there to dampen/tune the chamber. Every part is there for a reason - a reason that was consciously and purposefully considered before it was implemented.

DIYers have their subjective, ever changing preferences to rely on.

Engine tuning is the same. You can't reliably modify the air:fuel ratio at different density altitudes and loads simply by turning a screwdriver and test driving. You need a dynamometer to see the curves plotted on a graph.

Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with modding your HD 600's. If it works for you, I think that's great! I just think that your unique solution and personal preference is most likely uniquely enjoyable by you, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back