Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6,886 of 23,499
  I actually did lots of reading on the Valhalla, and found that it was on the bright side(a no for me) and that it wasn't that much of a jump from something like a Magni, which is in the same class as a E09K.

If i was into treble energy i would probably be after it though... the aesthetics and build quality alone are superb.

My bad. I meant the Vali. I agree that the Valhalla was too bright with the HD600 and I thought the Magni was too, while the E09K was too dark, though it paired up better with the HD600 than the HD650. The Vali I consider a jump above both the Magni and the E09K. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #6,887 of 23,499
  The Project Sunrise would cost me $265, the Little Dot MKIII would cost me $240. They fall into my budget, and are both better than the LD 1+. I just want something that will get me out of the "meh" of my current E09K. 

But thanks!

You should also factor in $$ for tube rolling.  Both of those are pushing your ceiling in that regard.... and could easily blow it apart depending on the tube$ you wanted to try out.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #6,892 of 23,499
I can buy these for 300 US dollars new it that a good deal these days.

Yes, that's pretty good.  That's probably about as good as you can get.  Hopefully, it's an authorized dealer so you get the warranty.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #6,894 of 23,499
Hello guys :)

The last couple of days I have listened to the HD 600 and HD 650 and I decided I would stick to the 600. Someone offered me his 600 that he bought five years ago but almost never used for a good price. I would only pay have of the price for a new phone. However, I am starting to worry because around that time Sennheiser updated the driver or at least the material around that. Also, the spring connector that often times troubles HD 600 users would probably be the old one, that is easier to break, right?
I guess you could sum up my questions to: Would you say the older 600 will sound worse and/or are less durable?

I will use the headphones every day, so I really need reliable cans and therefore I am a little reluctant to buy used ones.

Maybe you can help me.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #6,895 of 23,499
  Hello guys :)

The last couple of days I have listened to the HD 600 and HD 650 and I decided I would stick to the 600. Someone offered me his 600 that he bought five years ago but almost never used for a good price. I would only pay have of the price for a new phone. However, I am starting to worry because around that time Sennheiser updated the driver or at least the material around that. Also, the spring connector that often times troubles HD 600 users would probably be the old one, that is easier to break, right?
I guess you could sum up my questions to: Would you say the older 600 will sound worse and/or are less durable?

I will use the headphones every day, so I really need reliable cans and therefore I am a little reluctant to buy used ones.

Maybe you can help me.

I believe that Sennheiser offered free replacement springs. If you want to be sure if your cans have the problem, call Sennheiser and ask them, have your S/N handy. People have owned these cans for a very long time, that must say something about their durability. It is very easy to take apart and replace parts if you ever need to do so and don't want to send it back for repairs. I believe the change in drivers had more to do with the color (optics) not sound. You can research that, but beware of myths and imaginative findings, I once called Sennheiser about that and they said nothing was changed that would affect the sound.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #6,896 of 23,499
  I believe that Sennheiser offered free replacement springs. If you want to be sure if your cans have the problem, call Sennheiser and ask them, have your S/N handy. People have owned these cans for a very long time, that must say something about their durability. It is very easy to take apart and replace parts if you ever need to do so and don't want to send it back for repairs. I believe the change in drivers had more to do with the color (optics) not sound. You can research that, but beware of myths and imaginative findings, I once called Sennheiser about that and they said nothing was changed that would affect the sound.

+1

Everything on the HD580/600/650 is modular and can be replaced really easily.  What version do you have?  Mine have the white baffles and I haven't had any problem with the springs in the connectors or durability at all.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #6,897 of 23,499
The HD600s are in the building! I've only had a quick listen to a few tracks I use for A/B checking. My initial impression is that the bass is better than the 650s , it's less pushed forward in the mid bass and to my ears gives a more natural soundstage and it's not as 'boomy' . The sound in General is slightly more detailed and more open sounding than the 650s and this is exactly what I wanted. Its overal more natural and neutral without losing that warmth I love about the 650s. I can't wait to have a good listening session this evening. It's early days but I'm happy with what I'm hearing and I think the 650s could be on the way out the door.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #6,898 of 23,499
The HD600s are in the building! I've only had a quick listen to a few tracks I use for A/B checking. My initial impression is that the bass is better than the 650s , it's less pushed forward in the mid bass and to my ears gives a more natural soundstage and it's not as 'boomy' . The sound in General is slightly more detailed and more open sounding than the 650s and this is exactly what I wanted. Its overal more natural and neutral without losing that warmth I love about the 650s. I can't wait to have a good listening session this evening. It's early days but I'm happy with what I'm hearing and I think the 650s could be on the way out the door.

IMO that was a good comparison. Have fun with them.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #6,899 of 23,499

After you have some time with them try taking off the grills, that seemed to bring out the highs a bit more and make them sound even more open.  I also took out the foam that sits between your ear and the driver and replaced it with thin speaker fabric.  I'd be curious to see what other people think, I've been running my HD600s like that for over a year and a half now.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6,900 of 23,499
After you have some time with them try taking off the grills, that seemed to bring out the highs a bit more and make them sound even more open.  I also took out the foam that sits between your ear and the driver and replaced it with thin speaker fabric.  I'd be curious to see what other people think, I've been running my HD600s like that for over a year and a half now.

Just my opinion but I see no need to do this. The 600's are great the way they were designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back