Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #5,911 of 23,482

I remember listening to a 407 or 507 (or 307?) during a meet and they were very impressive too... 'Lucky' they need a whole different amplifier or otherwise I would be way too tempted to buy one and then put my life in a very poor and bad situation

Or an adapter, for those with speaker systems and thin walls.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #5,912 of 23,482
I've yet to hear a headphone that can match the realistic, smooth, grain free highs of the electrostatic headphone. No. Grados can't do it. Not the same amount of detail at all. Grados are like being punched in the face. Stax are like being slapped by a beautiful woman.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #5,913 of 23,482
 Grados are like being punched in the face. Stax are like being slapped by a beautiful woman.

Keith...may I have your permission to put that quote in my sig?

It would read like this:

"Grados are like being punched in the face. Stax are like being slapped by a beautiful woman."  Kiethpgrb

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5,914 of 23,482
Grados are like being punched in the face. Stax are like being slapped by a beautiful woman.

How about "being playfully slapped by a beautiful soprano"? Ombra Mai Fu is so beautiful coming out of Stax cans headphones, as it is out of Aurum Cantus speakers (and AT's ATH-A700 and Sonus Fabers for dynamic drivers).

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #5,915 of 23,482
 Keith...may I have your permission to put that quote in my sig?

It would read like this:

"Grados are like being punched in the face. Stax are like being slapped by a beautiful woman."  Kiethpgrb
Lol. Yes you may. But spell my name correctly!! Lol

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #5,916 of 23,482
How about "being playfully slapped by a beautiful soprano"? Ombra Mai Fu is so beautiful coming out of Stax cans headphones, as it is out of Aurum Cantus speakers (and AT's ATH-A700 and Sonus Fabers for dynamic drivers).
I thought about being more specific, but lost patience. Lol

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5,921 of 23,482
I've yet to hear a headphone that can match the realistic, smooth, grain free highs of the electrostatic headphone. No. Grados can't do it. Not the same amount of detail at all. Grados are like being punched in the face. Stax are like being slapped by a beautiful woman.

Which headphone is like being spanked in the behind by a beautiful woman?
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #5,923 of 23,482
Any word about this fella?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jiangzhan2012

He's got some silver cables for the HD600 that are... interesting. I'm wanting a second cable as a 'just in case' and while the 3.5-terminated cable is $40 more than an OEM Sennheiser cable, the interest is still there to see if I can hear a difference through AB tests.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #5,924 of 23,482
I bought a nice little silver cable on ebay for a good price and its also only 4ft long which I like much better than the 10 footer it comes with. I think I'm going to try and make one that's a bit thinker than the one I have but for what it is it works great.

As for the difference in sound I feel the silver cable is a little clearer sounding with highs that are a bit crisper than the stock cable but its not like its night and day at least not to me. That's why I want to make a thicker cable because I think it will amplify the qualities my silver cable already exhibits.   

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #5,925 of 23,482
  Any word about this fella?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jiangzhan2012

He's got some silver cables for the HD600 that are... interesting. I'm wanting a second cable as a 'just in case' and while the 3.5-terminated cable is $40 more than an OEM Sennheiser cable, the interest is still there to see if I can hear a difference through AB tests.

I don't know anything about those cables, except that they're purdy.  But hell, at those prices you could afford to find out if they're built well or not.  I don't ever advise anyone to buy a cable in hopes of getting any performance gains.  A/B testing is tricky business and should ONLY be done with the help of a friend so that you don't know which cable your listening to.  It's very easy to trick yourself into thinking you're hearing things you want to and having any sort of bias, even if you're not consciously aware of it, is fuel for imagined qualities or lack thereof.

If you'd like to try different cables I always recommend building them.  It's very easy to do, inexpensive, fun and a great way to customize your headphones. There are dozens of patterns of paracord you can use for the outer shell and you don't need to buy expensive DIY wire, CAT5 network cable does just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back