Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #5,942 of 23,499
  Some people say that FiiO sound is darker which would yield the opposite results that you describe. The E18 and E12 do well with an HD600.

I don't think they sound dark at all. I think they are on the brighter side of neutral and so you would think the would work well with the HD 600. I just don't think they do.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #5,943 of 23,499
  I don't think they sound dark at all. I think they are on the brighter side of neutral and so you would think the would work well with the HD 600. I just don't think they do.

Not sure about the E18, but I would never consider the EO9K bright... The E12 definitely didn't seem bright either. 

The Magni, on the other hand, I thought was too bright with the HD600. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #5,944 of 23,499
  Not sure about the E18, but I would never consider the EO9K bright... The E12 definitely didn't seem bright either. 

The Magni, on the other hand, I thought was too bright with the HD600. 

No doubt the Magni is bright. Brighter than an E09K or E07K. I just feel like the synergy is a little better with it and the HD 600. Again, this is just what my own ears are hearing. Functionally, all of it is great news for the price.

Edit: To provide some context, I enjoy bright signatures as long as they are detailed and clear.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #5,945 of 23,499
I've had the FiiO E5, E6 and E11 and I thought all of them were on the warm side of neutral, definitely not bright. The C&C BH is a neutral sounding portable amp imo. I've listened to the E12 and its not as warm as the E6 or E11 but to me it still has a warm tilt to it.

I still can't decide what under $200 tube amp to get? I've ruled out the Vali because you can't tube roll with them and if I get a hybrid I'd like to try different OP amps also. The Little Dot MKI 1+ is one that's at the top of my list with the option to tube roll and you can change the OP amp and a Burr Brown that I've looked at will work great.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #5,946 of 23,499
  Some people say that FiiO sound is darker which would yield the opposite results that you describe. The E18 and E12 do well with an HD600.

Actually I have an HD600 and think the E18 and E12 work rather well with it. I think they are rather neutral, which I prefer.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #5,947 of 23,499
  I don't know anything about those cables, except that they're purdy.  But hell, at those prices you could afford to find out if they're built well or not.  I don't ever advise anyone to buy a cable in hopes of getting any performance gains.  A/B testing is tricky business and should ONLY be done with the help of a friend so that you don't know which cable your listening to.  It's very easy to trick yourself into thinking you're hearing things you want to and having any sort of bias, even if you're not consciously aware of it, is fuel for imagined qualities or lack thereof.

If you'd like to try different cables I always recommend building them.  It's very easy to do, inexpensive, fun and a great way to customize your headphones. There are dozens of patterns of paracord you can use for the outer shell and you don't need to buy expensive DIY wire, CAT5 network cable does just fine.

I agree about what you say about cables BUT a new cable for durability/less tangle purposes can make sense over the stock hd600 cable.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #5,948 of 23,499
So, the HD600 stock cable. Since the cans are 300 Ohms, the differences in resistance between different materials will buy you no tangible advantage over the stock cable. I measured the capacitance and it's around 300pF which any effect at the relevant impedance is way above audio. The corner frequency of a low pass filter using a 300pF cap and a 300 Ohm resistor is around 1.75 Mhz, just to set the ballpark. I wonder what the capacitance of the transducers in the cans are? That just might make the cable capacitance less relevant.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #5,949 of 23,499
So, the HD600 stock cable. Since the cans are 300 Ohms, the differences in resistance between different materials will buy you no tangible advantage over the stock cable. I measured the capacitance and it's around 300pF which any effect at the relevant impedance is way above audio. The corner frequency of a low pass filter using a 300pF cap and a 300 Ohm resistor is around 1.75 Mhz, just to set the ballpark. I wonder what the capacitance of the transducers in the cans are? That just might make the cable capacitance less relevant.

But there is still information up at 1.75Mhz that still has an influence on the sound we hear don't you know? IMO , ymmv , even my wife could hear the difference !!! You don't know anything :wink:

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #5,951 of 23,499

But there is still information up at 1.75Mhz that still has an influence on the sound we hear don't you know? IMO , ymmv , even my wife could hear the difference !!! You don't know anything
wink.gif

So your wife is a soprano, just like mine.  Mine can put out enough dBs to exceed the "threshold of Pain." 
eek.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5,952 of 23,499
Hey guys,

I have heard that people who listen to recordings that aren't perfect might not like the HD600's because they could amplify the poor recording of the headphone. Is this true? I listen to a lot of small bands that don't have access to super high end recording studios, but most of the recordings aren't bad (as far as I can tell).

I ask because I am trying to find an open back headphone for listening to post rock and smaller local bands. The only other phone around this price I am looking at is the HE-400, but I heard those are better for electronic. For reference, I listen to a DT770 through an O2 amp. Any input on my situation would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: A reference for the bad recording I listen to: Early Modest Mouse.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #5,953 of 23,499
  Hey guys,

I have heard that people who listen to recordings that aren't perfect might not like the HD600's because they could amplify the poor recording of the headphone. Is this true? I listen to a lot of small bands that don't have access to super high end recording studios, but most of the recordings aren't bad (as far as I can tell).

I ask because I am trying to find an open back headphone for listening to post rock and smaller local bands. The only other phone around this price I am looking at is the HE-400, but I heard those are better for electronic. For reference, I listen to a DT770 through an O2 amp. Any input on my situation would be greatly appreciated!

Actually the HD600 is one of the few higher end headphones that work pretty good with poor recordings. I have some that are 192kbps and a few that are 128kbps and the HD600 sounds better with them than my HE-400 and some IEM's I have also, and from what I've gathered most think the HD600 is one of the better headphones for poorer recordings.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #5,954 of 23,499
Guys, do you think I would benefit anything by upgrading my now decade old MF X-CAN V3 (w/ 6H23n-EB NOS tubes) to something like Schiit Valhalla?
Also wouldn't Asgard be a better choice for HD-600..? I've heard different opinions.

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #5,955 of 23,499
life's too short to listen poor quality music
wink.gif

Hey guys,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back