Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #5,926 of 23,499
  I bought a nice little silver cable on ebay for a good price and its also only 4ft long which I like much better than the 10 footer it comes with. I think I'm going to try and make one that's a bit thinker than the one I have but for what it is it works great.

As for the difference in sound I feel the silver cable is a little clearer sounding with highs that are a bit crisper than the stock cable but its not like its night and day at least not to me. That's why I want to make a thicker cable because I think it will amplify the qualities my silver cable already exhibits.   

I bought a pure silver cable recently, compared them with stock cables briefly and couldn't tell any difference. Oh well, I need a shorter cable anyway, the stock one is too long for me.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #5,927 of 23,499
Yeah its not a big change but to me it does sound like its a more clear but its minute and honestly it might just be in my head. Having a shorter cable does make it so much better to use in my room and I even have a portable setup I use and the 4ft cable makes easier.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #5,928 of 23,499
I recently got the HD600 with the FiiO E07k/E09k. I've listened to this setup for around 80 hours now and I really think they're great!

The only other headphone in this price range I've heard is the Fidelio X1 with the Audioqeust Dragonfly (which I owned for 2 months). 

I can't say that the HD600 is better or worse than the X1, they both seem to be very different headphones.

I really like the HD600 but I think there are 2 aspects that prevent these headphones from being perfect for me. Firstly, I can't 'feel' the bass as much as I would like (i.e. the bass in the X1 was way more visceral) which is possibly a result of its recessed sub bass? Secondly, I  find the soundstage  to be lacking (again compared to the huge soundstage of the X1).

The HD600 beats the X1 in every other aspect IMO: it's more detailed (slightly harsh treble for my tastes), is more natural sounding (i.e. good mids) and are light weight. The bass also sounds tighter than the X1 which I like.

I'd say the HD600 is better than the X1 for classical music and rock while the bass response of the X1 makes it better for RnB, rap etc. For Jazz, I find both headphones to be equally good but I might give the X1 the edge since it has a better soundstage IMO.

For movies I'd say it's a tie. The HD600 is more realistic (maybe at the expense of being a bit boring) while the X1 is very exciting but lacks realism.

On the whole I'd say that the HD600 is a better all rounder than the X1. Even in genres where the X1 outperforms the HD600, the HD600 still sounds really good.

I think my ideal headphones would be the HD600 with better bass extension at low frequencies, slightly less treble and a larger soundstage. Does this sound like the HD650 to anyone? Or maybe the HD800 (with a tube amp)?

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #5,929 of 23,499
  I recently got the HD600 with the FiiO E07k/E09k. I've listened to this setup for around 80 hours now and I really think they're great!

The only other headphone in this price range I've heard is the Fidelio X1 with the Audioqeust Dragonfly (which I owned for 2 months). 

I can't say that the HD600 is better or worse than the X1, they both seem to be very different headphones.

I really like the HD600 but I think there are 2 aspects that prevent these headphones from being perfect for me. Firstly, I can't 'feel' the bass as much as I would like (i.e. the bass in the X1 was way more visceral) which is possibly a result of its recessed sub bass? Secondly, I  find the soundstage  to be lacking (again compared to the huge soundstage of the X1).

The HD600 beats the X1 in every other aspect IMO: it's more detailed (slightly harsh treble for my tastes), is more natural sounding (i.e. good mids) and are light weight. The bass also sounds tighter than the X1 which I like.

I'd say the HD600 is better than the X1 for classical music and rock while the bass response of the X1 makes it better for RnB, rap etc. For Jazz, I find both headphones to be equally good but I might give the X1 the edge since it has a better soundstage IMO.

For movies I'd say it's a tie. The HD600 is more realistic (maybe at the expense of being a bit boring) while the X1 is very exciting but lacks realism.

On the whole I'd say that the HD600 is a better all rounder than the X1. Even in genres where the X1 outperforms the HD600, the HD600 still sounds really good.

I think my ideal headphones would be the HD600 with better bass extension at low frequencies, slightly less treble and a larger soundstage. Does this sound like the HD650 to anyone? Or maybe the HD800 (with a tube amp)?

I have heard the X1 and the HD800, and I would say the HD800 isn't really an in between. The treble is more than the HD600's and the bass quantity is nowhere similar to the X1's. I could be wrong since I didn't compare them side by side.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #5,930 of 23,499
  I have heard the X1 and the HD800, and I would say the HD800 isn't really an in between. The treble is more than the HD600's and the bass quantity is nowhere similar to the X1's. I could be wrong since I didn't compare them side by side.

I've heard this but I thought tube amps were supposed to tame the highs of the HD800. HD800 is probably not for me because I hear it's even more detailed than the HD600. I find the HD600 detailed enough, anymore detailed and I think it would be way too distracting. 

Based on the frequency response curves it looks like the LCD3 or HE500 might have a similar response to what I want but they'll be too heavy I think. I found the the X1 which were around 430 g too heavy and I hear the LCD3 and HE500 are over 500 g. The weight of the HD600 (230 g) feels very comfortable to me.

So this brings me back to the HD650 which is supposed to have more bass and less treble than the HD600 and a similar weight. Haven't read much about comparisons of soundstage though?

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #5,931 of 23,499

I think my ideal headphones would be the HD600 with better bass extension at low frequencies, slightly less treble and a larger soundstage. Does this sound like the HD650 to anyone?

(....sounds like u are describing my hd650 with SPC cable .. aka "hd600 on steroids " :p  )

better hide, before i get stoned by the purists.
deadhorse.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #5,932 of 23,499
For you guys who want some more bass slam and a bit less treble, consider the Hifiman he-300. It's their dynamic headphone. It's quite good, and seems to fall in line with some of the traits I'm seeing here.

I would take it over the 650. Especially for the price.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #5,933 of 23,499

(....sounds like u are describing my hd650 with SPC cable .. aka "hd600 on steroids " :p  )

better hide, before i get stoned by the purists.
deadhorse.gif

Measurements seem to indicate that the response of the HD650 starts to decrease at around 1 kHz compared to around 3 kHz for the HD600. So I do wonder if the mids of the HD650 will sound as natural as the HD600.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5,934 of 23,499
i will die for the mids of the hd650...jus visit the hd650 thread. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #5,935 of 23,499

Not a fan of the HD 600 / E09K / E07K combo. Yes, it powers the decibels to high levels, but it really seems like it degrades quality throughout all frequencies. I'd also say the X1 does nothing better than the HD 600 unless you are specifically looking for a basshead can. Maybe it's a little more airy, but the lows are just far too colored and exaggerated on it for me to take it seriously with any type of music.

I was looking for close to the same thing you were asking for at one point and, although it doesn't match your definition perfectly, I've found more joy in the HD 700 than I have found in any other can at this point.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #5,937 of 23,499

The HD600 and E09K are definitely serviceable. And I find the E09K a better pairing w/ the HD600 than with the HD650 for sure. But I agree. For me, the Fiio house sound is just not a good combo with the HD600. 

Oh absolutely. Sorry, that's just me being a snob. I don't want to over exaggerate how much I don't like them. Yeah, the FiiO products work, but I do think you can do better even in the price range (ie. Magni/Modi).

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #5,938 of 23,499
  Not a fan of the HD 600 / E09K / E07K combo. Yes, it powers the decibels to high levels, but it really seems like it degrades quality throughout all frequencies. I'd also say the X1 does nothing better than the HD 600 unless you are specifically looking for a basshead can. Maybe it's a little more airy, but the lows are just far too colored and exaggerated on it for me to take it seriously with any type of music.

What did you think of the soundstage of the X1?

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #5,939 of 23,499

The HD600 and E09K are definitely serviceable. And I find the E09K a better pairing w/ the HD600 than with the HD650 for sure. But I agree. For me, the Fiio house sound is just not a good combo with the HD600. 

Some people say that FiiO sound is darker which would yield the opposite results that you describe. The E18 and E12 do well with an HD600.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #5,940 of 23,499
  What did you think of the soundstage of the X1?

Well, like I said, it's more airy for sure. Better or not better? I don't know. I know I prefer the HD 600 on a much larger range than the X1 can cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back