Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #5,656 of 23,454
  I just tried 5 Cm Per Second's soundtrack (it's an Anime OVA). The soundtrack is almost all quiet piano. Aaaand no crackle. Must have just been the other recordings. Both crackles happened on a Miyazaki soundtrack and the Girl who Leapt Through Time soundtrack. Must have just been distorted recordings. What a shame, I love those ones. I'll still listen to them, but those crackles are a tad bit annoying. 

My god, I'm constantly being blown away by how much detail these cans pick up. 

EDIT: You know, going back and listening...I realize that both times the crackle happen on those other ones, it's during a hard piano note and a violin string vibrating harshly at the same time. It's almost as if, both frequencies are so loud and happening at the same time, they make the crackle effect. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Either way, I'm certain it's the recording now. Because other soundtracks with strings and piano isn't making the sound. Just those ones.

If you lower the volume, do you still hear the crackle? Do you have different gain controls in your audio chain?

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #5,657 of 23,454
  I just tried 5 Cm Per Second's soundtrack (it's an Anime OVA). The soundtrack is almost all quiet piano. Aaaand no crackle. Must have just been the other recordings. Both crackles happened on a Miyazaki soundtrack and the Girl who Leapt Through Time soundtrack. Must have just been distorted recordings. What a shame, I love those ones. I'll still listen to them, but those crackles are a tad bit annoying. 

My god, I'm constantly being blown away by how much detail these cans pick up. 

EDIT: You know, going back and listening...I realize that both times the crackle happen on those other ones, it's during a hard piano note and a violin string vibrating harshly at the same time. It's almost as if, both frequencies are so loud and happening at the same time, they make the crackle effect. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Either way, I'm certain it's the recording now. Because other soundtracks with strings and piano isn't making the sound. Just those ones.

Oh well thats good news then, better to have a dodgy recording than defective hd600's. But just goes to show how transparent they are :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #5,659 of 23,454
Oh jeez. Yeah I'm using iTunes and it's set to 100% volume. I then adjust the knob of my Schiit Lyr. Should I have the iTunes volume set lower?

EDIT: To be clear, I don't have my Lyr cranked all the way up. Because the iTunes volume is set so high, I barely crank it up on the knob. I guess I'm probably doing this wrong. And the iTunes should be 60% volume, and I should be cranking the volume up high using the Lyr? 
Quote:
  You can get the clipping intentionally by e.g. cranking up the volume in software. Make sure it's not over 100% there. I'd also say it's not the 600.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #5,660 of 23,454
The best way to deal with using a computer as a source is to get a DAC.  That will bypass your volume control completely.  Something as simple as the $99 Schiit dad works fine.  there are lots of options with DACs.  But I do believe that is the best course to follow.  computer to DAC to amp.  I also use Audirvana as my software because it plays nice with iTunes.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #5,662 of 23,454
I believe you're doing it right, software should be set to 100% and analog volume control at your Lyr.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #5,665 of 23,454
The best way to deal with using a computer as a source is to get a DAC.  That will bypass your volume control completely.  Something as simple as the $99 Schiit dad works fine.  there are lots of options with DACs.  But I do believe that is the best course to follow.  computer to DAC to amp.  I also use Audirvana as my software because it plays nice with iTunes.

I use audirvana too, definitely an upgrade to the sound quality.
Ifor tubes, it's best not to play to low or too high their volume range to avoid distortion / imbalance.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #5,666 of 23,454
  Since I'll be receiving a pair soon (Monday! Whoot!) and need a new DAC + amp anyway, what are the fan favorites for the HD600?

how much are you willing to spend ? 

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #5,669 of 23,454
Also popular are the Audio-GD, Schit or the Objective 2/Objective DAC combos.

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #5,670 of 23,454
i will add to the above suggestions wich are great the bottlehead crack if you are in Tubes and DIY and M-stage USB .

HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC as DAC if you want to spent the less possible in this area .

(personnaly i would go ODAC/O²) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back