Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,641 of 23,455
  Ordered HD600 on New Years Eve. Went into Magnolia to try the HD650 and HD600.
They only had the HD650 but offered to order me a pair for HD600 for $300 so I bit....
Going to drive them with this Jef Larson Spud amp:

I'm looking forward to enjoying these classic cans!

That's really cool that you can get your 600's from a brick and mortar store. And for $300 - that's a no-brainer!

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #5,642 of 23,455
  With so many great closed back, semi portable headphones out there now, what is the favorite of the HD600 fans? Basically, I'm looking for a comfortable, easy to drive, closed back HD600 with good isolation. Something that leans toward neutral and yet is musical. 

Hi Isaiah - Happy New Year!

Closest I've heard tonally (closed circumaural) were the HM5 / Lindy / Fischer FA-003.  They are cheap - but kind of bulky if you're looking for moving around with them.  Only issue I had was that they sounded just a little hollow (internal reverb?) on some tracks.  Good cans though and cheap.  Here's what I thought of them when I had them - http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews/6201

Although again not exactly 'portable' - I did take them with me on my International travel though - I'd actually recommend the SRH840.  They still remain one of my favourite closed back circumaural cans - so much so that I brought them twice.  I only just sold the second pair recently - they are fantastic for what they are - but for me, portable means IEMs now.  Review here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh840/reviews/5490

Unfortunately - nothing I've heard so far really comes close to the HD600's timbre, realism, and tone.

Hope these help

Paul

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #5,643 of 23,455

That's really cool that you can get your 600's from a brick and mortar store. And for $300 - that's a no-brainer!

I'm not sure why the 600s were in the computer at that price and they had to order from Senn so I'll need to go back and pick them up.
I also liked the HD700 but I was not so impressed with the build quality, even on sale for $650.
I prefer the way the 600/650 are put together.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #5,644 of 23,455
  I'm not sure why the 600s were in the computer at that price and they had to order from Senn so I'll need to go back and pick them up.
I also liked the HD700 but I was not so impressed with the build quality, even on sale for $650.
I prefer the way the 600/650 are put together.

What about the sound profile? The HD700's have IMO too much emphasis on treble and the HD650's too little. IMO the HD600's got it right.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #5,645 of 23,455
  What about the sound profile? The HD700's have IMO too much emphasis on treble and the HD650's too little. IMO the HD600's got it right.

Yes the 700 is more forward but detail is very good.
I didn't hate it but I didn't prefer the sound and build was not 'better' so I couldn't see any reason to buy, even on sale.
I want a euphonic headphone, not a super accurate or detailed one...
I'm really looking forward to getting the 600s. I hate waiting...
popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #5,646 of 23,455
  Yes the 700 is more forward but detail is very good.
I didn't hate it but I didn't prefer the sound and build was not 'better' so I couldn't see any reason to buy, even on sale.
I want a euphonic headphone, not a super accurate or detailed one...
I'm really looking forward to getting the 600s. I hate waiting...
popcorn.gif

Excessive treble does not mean detailed, it could mean grating or fatiguing.
Ah those HD600's, good things are worth waiting for. I didn't have to wait, J&R was across the street from my office.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #5,647 of 23,455
  Excessive treble does not mean detailed, it could mean grating or fatiguing.
Ah those HD600's, good things are worth waiting for. I didn't have to wait, J&R was across the street from my office.
biggrin.gif

Yes, I was being diplomatic and non-hating...I wouldn't/didn't buy 'em which really says everything (without saying it) 
biggrin.gif

Very jealous you didn't have to wait...did I mention I hate waiting...

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #5,648 of 23,455
  Yes, I was being diplomatic and non-hating...I wouldn't/didn't buy 'em which really says everything (without saying it) 
biggrin.gif

Very jealous you didn't have to wait...did I mention I hate waiting...

Yeah, me too. Luckily in this case I had a workaround. Damn it, I had to wait a day to get my HE-500's from Amazon.
biggrin.gif
 Where's their drones when you need one?

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #5,650 of 23,455
  I like transparent, the Asgard2 looks interesting and it's got plenty of juice. The Magni has an output impedance of < 0.1 Ohms, the thing can probably run a refrigerator so any can other than a truck like an HE-6 is doable. How these guys can make such good stuff in the USA at superb prices is wonderful.

I listened to the asgard2 a few months back and found it just OK. At that time I only owned the Aune so I compared Aune vs Aune->A2.. I would be lying if I said I didn't hear a difference, but that difference can't justify that price tag. Rather unimpressed, perhaps due to the hype for schitt products I sense in this forum and the 'anti-climax' I felt when I finally heard the HD600 through them.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #5,651 of 23,455
  I listened to the asgard2 a few months back and found it just OK. At that time I only owned the Aune so I compared Aune vs Aune->A2.. I would be lying if I said I didn't hear a difference, but that difference can't justify that price tag. Rather unimpressed, perhaps due to the hype for schitt products I sense in this forum and the 'anti-climax' I felt when I finally heard the HD600 through them.

Yes I didn't really like the Asgard 2 either. Couldn't hear a difference between it and my Audioengine D1, which costs way less and has a DAC too. My Violectric HPA V90 on the other hand, is very nice with the HD600.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #5,652 of 23,455
  Yes I didn't really like the Asgard 2 either. Couldn't hear a difference between it and my Audioengine D1, which costs way less and has a DAC too. My Violectric HPA V90 on the other hand, is very nice with the HD600.

I'm glad that i'm not the only one who thinks that way :D

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #5,653 of 23,455
I recently bought new HD-600. After a lot of soul searching, I decided that my HD-600's were the best headphones I ever owned. My old 600's broke during a move (so sad). Anyways, the new ones are fantastic. I forgot how tight the headband and the clamp is. My old 600's were easily the most comfortable headphones, but I guess that's what 8 years of use will do to a can (they feel so good broken in). Anyways, I'm getting a slight crackle when listening to certain songs. It only happens during orchestral pieces. Mostly piano bits. I put some hard heavy hitting electronic music, and it handles it like a champ. No crackle. Only on (I think) higher frequency sounds like piano. It doesn't happen on every piano bit either. I've heard some truly stunning pieces and it only cracking on certain spots. 

I've tried a couple different albums to make sure it wasn't the same thing. But nope, same thing. It's kind of random too. I've only tried it on my Anime soundtracks. I guess it's possible the recording are bad, but the HD-600s are usually pretty forgiving. I dunno if there is something wrong with my cans, or if it's just a fluke thing. Hmmm.

I'm using Schiit Lyr/Bifrost btw. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #5,654 of 23,455
  I recently bought new HD-600. After a lot of soul searching, I decided that my HD-600's were the best headphones I ever owned. My old 600's broke during a move (so sad). Anyways, the new ones are fantastic. I forgot how tight the headband and the clamp is. My old 600's were easily the most comfortable headphones, but I guess that's what 8 years of use will do to a can (they feel so good broken in). Anyways, I'm getting a slight crackle when listening to certain songs. It only happens during orchestral pieces. Mostly piano bits. I put some hard heavy hitting electronic music, and it handles it like a champ. No crackle. Only on (I think) higher frequency sounds like piano. It doesn't happen on every piano bit either. I've heard some truly stunning pieces and it only cracking on certain spots. 

I've tried a couple different albums to make sure it wasn't the same thing. But nope, same thing. It's kind of random too. I've only tried it on my Anime soundtracks. I guess it's possible the recording are bad, but the HD-600s are usually pretty forgiving. I dunno if there is something wrong with my cans, or if it's just a fluke thing. Hmmm.

I'm using Schiit Lyr/Bifrost btw. 

Could be the amp clipping. Also maybe have a look at the drivers make there isn't a hair or dirt in there. But because they handle electronic music fine makes me think it could just be the recordings. I would find a good modern piano recording and turn them up see if the same happens. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #5,655 of 23,455
I just tried 5 Cm Per Second's soundtrack (it's an Anime OVA). The soundtrack is almost all quiet piano. Aaaand no crackle. Must have just been the other recordings. Both crackles happened on a Miyazaki soundtrack and the Girl who Leapt Through Time soundtrack. Must have just been distorted recordings. What a shame, I love those ones. I'll still listen to them, but those crackles are a tad bit annoying. 

My god, I'm constantly being blown away by how much detail these cans pick up. 

EDIT: You know, going back and listening...I realize that both times the crackle happen on those other ones, it's during a hard piano note and a violin string vibrating harshly at the same time. It's almost as if, both frequencies are so loud and happening at the same time, they make the crackle effect. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Either way, I'm certain it's the recording now. Because other soundtracks with strings and piano isn't making the sound. Just those ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back