Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #5,386 of 23,433
with pleathers or velours? Many agree the sound is very weird with pleathers. Try velour if you haven't. Whole new headphone.
The HE500s also need a decent amount of power

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #5,387 of 23,433
I had HE400 as well and I sold them few weeks later. To my ears they were too V-shaped sounding where mids of my HD600 are fantastics.
Plus I find HD600 more comfortable.
But I have to admit the presentation of the bass was fantastic on the Hifiman.
I think HE500 is more comparable to HD600 but they need a decent amount of power and the weight might be a problem as well.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #5,388 of 23,433
  I've been interested in orthos lately and find your experience enlightening. I'll have to put an ear to some. If what you say is what I'll hear, they're not for me.
Isn't the LCD-X easy to drive? I've heard good things about it along the lines of what you say about its even handed response.

I found the LCD X to have much more clarity in the high end. I didn't spend enough time with them to give a final decision. But from what I did hear, I preferred them to any of the previous LCD models. I personally find all the ortho cans covered and wolly on top. The top end is there, but it just sounds cloudy to me. I was set to buy the he500, until I spent some time with a borrowed pair. Having said that, I also quite enjoyed the he6. Didn't seem to have the weird top end when I heard it at a meet. But amping is a huge issue. Although I have quite a few stereo amps I could use with it. Which I hear is the best option. Have you tried stax?

Never tried Stax, I might be tempted to become a bank robber or develop my own form of Quantitative Easing. And now there's the Audeze LCD-XC and adventure in closed backs for Audeze.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5,391 of 23,433
  I've finally pulled the trigger on getting my first pair of  audiophile headphones, and I decided on the HD600's. They should be arriving Wednesday. Really excited to listen to them after I burn them on the Asgard 2 + Bifrost Uber combo I ordered as well.

Good choice theseaminer! You will not be disappointed with the HD600s.  They are truly a great headphone.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #5,392 of 23,433
  I've finally pulled the trigger on getting my first pair of  audiophile headphones, and I decided on the HD600's. They should be arriving Wednesday. Really excited to listen to them after I burn them on the Asgard 2 + Bifrost Uber combo I ordered as well.

Quite frankly, you don't have to wait for a burn in, go for it. Burn-ins are to make humans think things are better 
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #5,393 of 23,433

Welcome! that's quite a big spending for your first.

Don't use any harsh detergent or bleach but it won't hurt them. Takes a while to dry though. I found a little fabric softener is nice too.

when you said it takes a while, I was expecting 3-4 days or so. but looks like it's almost all dried up in less than a day, cool

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,394 of 23,433
I've had my HD600s for a number of weeks, driving them with my old Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic, and I have been loving them; today my Modi/Magni stack arrived and...oh my. The soundstage has really opened up and the lows are so much more smooth and punchy. I absolutely love these headphones!

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #5,396 of 23,433
  I was wondering if i change the grille on my HD580 to the HD600 one will it affect the sound or purely cosmetic?

8/21/04
In all seriousness folks, doing some more extended listening between the different grills, at least to my ears has shown that there is indeed an improvement in air and removal of bass congestion................

Did the change almost 10 years ago (how time flies) http://www.head-fi.org/t/81090/hd600-grills-on-the-hd580-revisted, does make a slight difference as does substituting the foam for a nylon mesh.
But.....finally putting new pads on yesterday made all the difference in the world.
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #5,397 of 23,433

Did the change almost 10 years ago (how time flies) http://www.head-fi.org/t/81090/hd600-grills-on-the-hd580-revisted, does make a slight difference as does substituting the foam for a nylon mesh.
But.....finally putting new pads on yesterday made all the difference in the world.
smile.gif

I never liked the brand new pads... Too stiff for my head lol

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #5,398 of 23,433

I never liked the brand new pads... Too stiff for my head lol

That may be true but my original pads were beyond redemption, my Senns were neglected for a few years but were recently resurrected once I treated myself to a Bryston BHA-1 last month, the new pads brought them back up to speck.
Most phones improve with better equipment but I find the Senns scale better and better, more so than my AKGs and Grados.
But it is gratifying to see the HD580/600 still be widely used and appreciated after all these years.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #5,400 of 23,433
  Burning in my 600's right now. Can't wait for my amp & DAC to arrive so I can finally experience what all you guys are talking about.

have fun with them , HD600 turned out to be my favorite "mid fi" headphone .
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back