Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #1,426 of 23,460
Here's an article/review of the HD600 in 2002, the time when it's Sennheiser's very own flagship. Oh how times have gone by. 
smile.gif

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun02/articles/sennheiserhd600.asp

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #1,428 of 23,460
Jun 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,429 of 23,460
Hi Guys,

I'm on the road to purchasing my 3rd audiophile headphone, which is gonna be an upgrade from my HD 555. Auditioned a pair of HD 600 the other day (un-amped) and I just could not forget it and think nothing but to purchase one. But before that, I'm looking for an amp that would drive them well without spending that much. I'm targeting the iBasso D2+ Boa or the Pro-Ject Head Box S. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions that are in the same price range as the two?

My source would be a 15 inch MacBook Pro and an iPod Classic alternatively. Would the USB/DAC make a difference?

Hoping to hear from you guys. Thanks!

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,430 of 23,460
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm on the road to purchasing my 3rd audiophile headphone, which is gonna be an upgrade from my HD 555. Auditioned a pair of HD 600 the other day (un-amped) and I just could not forget it and think nothing but to purchase one. But before that, I'm looking for an amp that would drive them well without spending that much. I'm targeting the iBasso D2+ Boa or the Pro-Ject Head Box S. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions that are in the same price range as the two?

My source would be a 15 inch MacBook Pro and an iPod Classic alternatively. Would the USB/DAC make a difference?

Hoping to hear from you guys. Thanks!

The FiiO E17 could be a great low-cost DAC/Amp solution for the HD 600.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,433 of 23,460
Joining the 600 fray tomorrow. Pretty excited. Been wanting these for years. Thinking about using a restored fisher 300 as a hp amp. Anyone else doing anything similar?

I'll be using the rsa hornet when the cans get here.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,434 of 23,460
Quote:

Correct.  Also, the E17 can be charged at your desk via the USB cable while you're using it if you don't have the E9 to dock it.

Some people say E17 has insufficient power for HD600,
but as long as its gain and volumn are set at high level, E17 can be satisfying.

The problem is, I often wonder how good hd600 can be with great DAC/AMPs.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #1,435 of 23,460
Quote:

Some people say E17 has insufficient power for HD600,
but as long as its gain and volumn are set at high level, E17 can be satisfying.

The problem is, I often wonder how good hd600 can be with great DAC/AMPs.

From my experience the amping isn't really that important for the volume, but moreso for the sound quality. Even my laptop or ipod can get the volume to a more than adequate level. I havn't heard the E17 so I can't comment on it, I've only heard the E7 and E9, and the E9 is worlds better than the E7 - at the same volume.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,436 of 23,460
Quote:
I havn't heard the E17 so I can't comment on it, I've only heard the E7 and E9, and the E9 is worlds better than the E7 - at the same volume.

How do you know it is really the same volume ? Have you measured it ? You may think it is the same, while it could really be different by several dB (even a few tenths of a dB difference can "improve" the perceived sound quality). Much of the time, large differences between amplifiers are heard because of not matching the volume properly.
By the way, the amplifier in the E17 most likely performs somewhere between the E10 and E11, and should be better than the E7, which is most similar to the E6.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,437 of 23,460
Quote:

How do you know it is really the same volume ? Have you measured it ? You may think it is the same, while it could really be different by several dB (even a few tenths of a dB difference can "improve" the perceived sound quality). Much of the time, large differences between amplifiers are heard because of not matching the volume properly.
By the way, the amplifier in the E17 most likely performs somewhere between the E10 and E11, and should be better than the E7, which is most similar to the E6.

I havn't measured it, which I think would be a ridiculously anal thing to do for this situation, but I approximate the levels to what I consider a reasonable level. At these approximately equal levels, you can easily hear the bass out of the E9 to be far superior to that coming out of the E7. The clarity in the highs increases as well.

Like I said, I havn't heard E17, but that would be awesome if it could power the HD600's adequately

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,438 of 23,460
Quote:

I havn't measured it, which I think would be a ridiculously anal thing to do for this situation, but I approximate the levels to what I consider a reasonable level. At these approximately equal levels, you can easily hear the bass out of the E9 to be far superior to that coming out of the E7. The clarity in the highs increases as well.

Like I said, I havn't heard E17, but that would be awesome if it could power the HD600's adequately

Rather than assume that everyone agrees with your opinion of the E9+HD600, maybe it would be more correct to just say that you personally prefer the HD600 paired with the E9 over the E7.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #1,440 of 23,460
Quote:

Rather than assume that everyone agrees with your opinion of the E9+HD600, maybe it would be more correct to just say that you personally prefer the HD600 paired with the E9 over the E7.

I too personally prefer the HD580 paired with the E9 and now I personally love the pairing between my HD580 and the Darkvoice 336

E7 / E9 E17 etc, there might be comparisons made by clieos hanging somewhere in the forum, which are worth a read if you are considering them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back