Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #1,396 of 23,423

Quote:

I actually loved the hd 600s soundstage compared to my 702s. With the 702s its like there is a far right and a far left, but no center channel. It makes it difficult to focus on music sometimes.

X2 I'm surprised that more people don't find that extreme left/right to be distracting. I like it on some tracks, but it's a disaster on others. I mostly listen with the hd580....I like their warmth and bass better as well.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,397 of 23,423

Quote:

Hmm... seems I've saved quite a lot to find out HD600 is my best.
Appreciate its natural and realistic sound.

That's why I loved them as well. The more I listen, the more of the music I actually hear. I use these for progressive rock/metal, instrumental and on rare occasions, hard rock (depends on the artist and album). Unlike my MS1i, I can wear these for hours without having to worry about my ears bleeding or worrying about going deaf. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the MS1i by any means but the HD600 is just great. One day, perhaps I'll sell one of my kidneys and get the HD800 but until then, I'm very content. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,398 of 23,423
If you decide to sell - let me know...
normal_smile .gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,399 of 23,423
I have read a lot of people saying that these cans are slow and therefore not the best for certain types of music. However i have owned these headphones for a couple of weeks and been listening to them as much as i can. And i really like them for rock and for hip hop two genres that i read negative reviews about. Right now i am listening to Saigon's "Greatest Story Never Told" and they are real close if not better than my ALO-780s. I guess there is a lot of hyperbole in use on Head-Fi!

May 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,401 of 23,423
Thats very true. I read somewhere that people often emphasize the differences between headphones. So that people who have not heard the cans can get a better idea of their attributes. But almost everything i have read has been an exaggeration. I read ultrasones had overwhelming sometimes muddy bass, that grados have piercing highs and that HD-600s are slow.

While i can understand where these comments come from, they are to my ears certainly not true. The expensive but true fact in this hobby you really have to listen to everything with your own ears. To see what works for you and what doesn't

May 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,402 of 23,423
Quote:
While i can understand where these comments come from, they are to my ears certainly not true. The expensive but true fact in this hobby you really have to listen to everything with your own ears. To see what works for you and what doesn't

x2

Although I consider myself lucky I'm 100% happy (and have been for the past year) with my current rig.  No plans to upgrade or change things. Just enjoying the music.  Hardware in sig.  :)

May 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #1,403 of 23,423
Well it looks like that you have some pretty impressive gear, and it is even better that you are really happy with your equipment.

I have had mixed experience with all the stuff that i have bought. I have spent a lot of money and looking back it probably wasn't the smartest thing i could of done. Nothing has ever sounded bad but i guess it just didn't live up to my expectations. But now i been in the hobby for a couple of years and i know what i like better, and have learned to take everything with a grain of salt.

But the more i listen the more i learn what i like and i have some interesting upgrades planned for the future.

May 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,404 of 23,423
Quote:
Well it looks like that you have some pretty impressive gear, and it is even better that you are really happy with your equipment.

I have had mixed experience with all the stuff that i have bought. I have spent a lot of money and looking back it probably wasn't the smartest thing i could of done. Nothing has ever sounded bad but i guess it just didn't live up to my expectations. But now i been in the hobby for a couple of years and i know what i like better, and have learned to take everything with a grain of salt.

But the more i listen the more i learn what i like and i have some interesting upgrades planned for the future.

I hear ya.  Only thing I regretted buying was my HD595.  Over a year ago one of my ex-girlfriends borrowed them and never gave them back (we'll call them stolen).  Did me a favor because then I bought my HD600 instead and couldn't be happier.  

My Grados were my first pair of "real headphones" but they've had their day.  Right now it's just a two headphone operation (and my workout pair the AH-C560R).  One is closed and a bass monster (Denon) and the other is open and neutral (Sennheiser).  

I'm just glad I got a hobby where I'm happy with what I got...my automotive hobby, which is way more expensive, I'm never happy with what I got and always want more... 
tongue.gif

May 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #1,405 of 23,423
That sucks about your old headphones getting stolen. But at least it forced you to get an upgrade. It seems like a lot of people are against having more than one headphone, or at least having different headphones for different genres. I like having more than one pair, in the future i may even get a couple more pairs. But does that turn out to be more expensive in the long run. Headphones are definitely my most expenisve hobby, i read alot of books and comics but compared to what i spend on headphones its nothing.

If that is your car in your avatar, then you should be really happy it looks really nice lol

May 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,406 of 23,423
Quote:
That sucks about your old headphones getting stolen. But at least it forced you to get an upgrade. It seems like a lot of people are against having more than one headphone, or at least having different headphones for different genres. I like having more than one pair, in the future i may even get a couple more pairs. But does that turn out to be more expensive in the long run. Headphones are definitely my most expenisve hobby, i read alot of books and comics but compared to what i spend on headphones its nothing.

If that is your car in your avatar, then you should be really happy it looks really nice lol

nope not my ride...YET.  I'm rolling with an Audi at the moment but want my big American muscle V8.  :)

May 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,407 of 23,423
As of yesterday, the starter of this thread is back in the HD 600 club (I bought a white driver version of the HD 600 that came with an HD 650 cable).

Even though I currently have the HD 800 and LCD-2 rev. 2, to me the HD 600 have the best frequency balance of all headphones I've yet heard and are a hugely enjoyable listen - long live the HD 600!

Just out of interest, what have you HD 600 owners/users found to be the best aftermarket cable for the HD 600 in terms of neutrality and tone?

May 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,408 of 23,423
Quote:
As of yesterday, the starter of this thread is back in the HD 600 club (I bought a white driver version of the HD 600 that came with an HD 650 cable).

Welcome back. When I decided on the 600 a few months ago I did notice that despite all your praise you no longer owned them. It was a little disconcerting, but I'm glad I went with them over the 650. They are a great pair of headphones.

May 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,409 of 23,423
Quote:
Welcome back. When I decided on the 600 a few months ago I did notice that despite all your praise you no longer owned them. It was a little disconcerting, but I'm glad I went with them over the 650. They are a great pair of headphones.

I'm glad to have the HD 600 again. I definitely preferred them over the HD 650 due to the HD 600 having more bass clarity.

If I could only have one headphone, it would probably be the HD 600. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,410 of 23,423
Quote:
If I could only have one headphone, it would probably be the HD 600. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Echoes my thoughts
wink.gif

Funny thing is I bought an LD MKIV just so I could have tubes with my Beyers - but lately the HD600 has been dominating my time with the LD.  Something about the HD600 and tubes - lovely combo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back