Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #13,951 of 23,489
  Haven't looked at doing mods to my HD-600 yet, maybe others on this thread can help.  There have been some on the HD-650 thread who have been doing some mods on it but I've been too busy to really do anything with mine yet.  I also only do mods that can be reversed just in case I don't like the results of the mod.

I have tried a number of the HD580/600 mods in years past such as
--quarter hole in the inner foam earpad discs
--total removal of inner foam earpad discs
--Blu-Tac damping of various amounts/degrees/locations
--various sized felt inserts between grills and back of drivers
--felt layer on top of inner foam earpad discs

In each case whatever positives they were supposed to bring, there were negative trade offs such that I invariably returned my cans to stock.

BTW the spyder trimming/removal mod is one I didn't try because, like you, I eschew any mod that can't be reversed.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #13,953 of 23,489
At this point I gotta step in :).  I don't mean to spoil your fun, but we're all here to find the stuff that really works right?  I'm a programmer so I have a reasonable idea about this kind of technical stuff.

If yours is a true ASIO driver, then there is zero reason why changing from ASIO to WASAPI would make any difference, unless WASAPI is resampling the audio (or changing bit-depth) for some reason.  (I know less about WASAPI than ASIO, I've written my own ASIO wrapper driver to automatically apply room correction impulses to all ASIO output).

If it is that might explain the change in sound, but then it's technically less clean than ASIO.  A true ASIO driver will deliver the audio bit-identical to your interface, it doesn't get cleaner than that.  Any timing from the PC to the driver should also be irrelevant, as the card should buffer the incoming audio and then clock it out separately.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #13,954 of 23,489

If yours is a true ASIO driver, then there is zero reason why changing from ASIO to WASAPI would make any difference, unless WASAPI is resampling the audio (or changing bit-depth) for some reason.  

Under ASIO the output in JRiver was listed as 32 bits (my DAC doesn't go higher than 24).  When I switched to WASAPI the output went to 24 bits.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #13,955 of 23,489
WASAPI has the same purpose as ASIO (exclusive device access)... Assuming both work correct, there should not be discernible difference, either is bit-perfect. But, hey, whatever floats your boat!

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #13,956 of 23,489
  WASAPI has the same purpose as ASIO (exclusive device access)... Assuming both work correct, there should not be discernible difference, either is bit-perfect. 

My ears not hurting anymore says otherwise.  I don't think placebo is that versatile. 
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #13,957 of 23,489
  Under ASIO the output in JRiver was listed as 32 bits (my DAC doesn't go higher than 24).  When I switched to WASAPI the output went to 24 bits.

That just means ASIO driver accepts 32 bit signal (most of the times it's just 16 or 24 bits padded with 0's). WASAPI accepts whatever your device's native maximum bit-depth is.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #13,958 of 23,489
  My ears not hurting anymore says otherwise.  I don't think placebo is that versatile. 
wink.gif

Dude, you just had a good night's sleep. I'd say that counts the most. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #13,960 of 23,489

Naw, it hurt when I woke up and listened to some harsh tracks.  After the switch, it didn't anymore.

Good for you then. My HD600 arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to meet an old friend.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #13,963 of 23,489

My HD600 arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to meet an old friend.

Excellent.

Another thing I love about this can is it is causing me to seek out more music, since music has become so much more enjoyable with them.  The DT880 made me listen to less music, so sterile and distant.  Anyway, I am even seeking out stuff I listened to as a teenager with crappy equipment, to listen through new ears with better equipment.  I am also adding alot more classical, stuff really shines.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #13,964 of 23,489

That just means ASIO driver accepts 32 bit signal (most of the times it's just 16 or 24 bits padded with 0's).

Yep.  As I said, the only reason it could sound different is if WASAPI is messing with the data for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back