Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #12,421 of 23,456

It's DAC not a amp.

Welp, that shows you how much I know about Amps and DACs.
  Take a look at these. In your price range and pair great with HD600 and just about anything else.
http://schiit.com/products/magni-2
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Do you know if the previous versions are good as well? I don't how how the newer versions are different from the previous ones.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #12,422 of 23,456

DAC stands for digital-to-analogue converter. Every device that plays a digital audio file must have one. An Amp comes after the DAC and is the component that takes the analogue signal and "amplifies" it for speakers/headphones/monitors.

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #12,423 of 23,456

Do you know if the previous versions are good as well? I don't how how the newer versions are different from the previous ones.

Sorry. Thanks Biker gave a good recommendation. I suggested you to buy the latest model. I saw amny people, including myself, just kind of wasting money when buying old version when finally did the upgrade.

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #12,424 of 23,456
DAC stands for digital-to-analogue converter. Every device that plays a digital audio file must have one. An Amp comes after the DAC and is the component that takes the analogue signal and "amplifies" it for speakers/headphones/monitors.

Yeap, I know that much but I'm just a bit confused on the amp. If it's amplifying the same signal, shouldn't it sound the same but just louder? Or is there something more complicated than just that?

Basically, how is a 30 dollar amp inferior to one that costs way much more (let's say price = performance in this example or Fiio Amps vs higher end Schiit Amps)?

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #12,425 of 23,456
Yeap, I know that much but I'm just a bit confused on the amp. If it's amplifying the same signal, shouldn't it sound the same but just louder? Or is there something more complicated than just that?

Basically, how is a 30 dollar amp inferior to one that costs way much more (let's say price = performance in this example or Fiio Amps vs higher end Schiit Amps)?

I come from the opposite perspective. I can't imagine how they could sound the same. Different companies using different components and different techniques MUST sound different. Every piece of the circuit will have some effect on the overall sonics.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #12,426 of 23,456

I think it depends on your headphones. There is basically no difference for some headphones. But much difference for some others. Unfortunately/fortunately, HD600 belongs to the second class.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #12,427 of 23,456
I come from the opposite perspective. I can't imagine how they could sound the same. Different companies using different components and different techniques MUST sound different. Every piece of the circuit will have some effect on the overall sonics.

you would get very different advice if you posted in Sound Science.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #12,428 of 23,456

I think it depends on your headphones. There is basically no difference for some headphones. But much difference for some others. Unfortunately/fortunately, HD600 belongs to the second class.

you would get very different advice if you posted in Sound Science.

So I'm assuming different manufacturers use/have different tunings while amplifying the signal from a DAC?

I'll try to get the Schiit Stack and compare them to my Andes (as crazy as it sounds) to see if I'm convinced in a 'higher quality' Amp/DAC combo.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #12,429 of 23,456

So I'm assuming different manufacturers use/have different tunings while amplifying the signal from a DAC?

I'll try to get the Schiit Stack and compare them to my Andes (as crazy as it sounds) to see if I'm convinced in a 'higher quality' Amp/DAC combo.

When I got my Schiit stack I was hoping for a little upgrade compared to my Fiio X3/E12 combo. I found it to be jaw dropping.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #12,430 of 23,456

"Different tunings" is not a good description.  There are different components and circuit designs/topologies that give slightly different results.  All the manufacturers are trying to get the best result within their skills and cost constraints and business approach.

Trying out and comparing those items will be good.  Everyone has to listen and decide for themselves ultimately.  Listening over a period of weeks (not minutes) will increase the reliability of one's judgements, IMO.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #12,431 of 23,456
"Different tunings" is not a good description.  There are different components and circuit designs/topologies that give slightly different results.  All the manufacturers are trying to get the best result within their skills and cost constraints and business approach.

Trying out and comparing those items will be good.  Everyone has to listen and decide for themselves ultimately.  Listening over a period of weeks (not minutes) will increase the reliability of one's judgements, IMO.

I think a lot of people on HeadFi would agree that headphones and source make the biggest improvement to SQ.
Different amps and DAC's will only make a relatively small difference.
Ideally an amp would simply amplify the signal. The old audiophile dream. "Straight wire with gain".
The second part of this post is spot on. IMHO.
Placebo and perception bias are the bane of my audio life. Trying to audition without these factors influencing any conclusion is very difficult. IME.
The number of that I have been caught out!
I have heard a lot of gear over the years. I have never been "blown away " by a headphone rig.
I think that there is a limit to what is possible and that much money can be spent in denial of that fact.
I have been blown away many times by music though!

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #12,432 of 23,456
I think a lot of people on HeadFi would agree that headphones and source make the biggest improvement to SQ.
Different amps and DAC's will only make a relatively small difference.

For some folks it's easy to get carried away and buying more and more expensive stuff that is supposed to be making music sound even better and better....same thing goes for cables: silver ones, magically forged by elves by moonlight and all that
tongue.gif
A 1000 dollar DAC? Uhm, no thanks. I'll let my (normal) ears and limited budget decide. A good amp + headset (or dac) doesn't have to break the bank. I'll even bet (haven't tried it yet) that my E07K will make my Sennheisers sound just fine, but the tube used in the Aune T1 will make the music sound a little bit different. Tube rolling can be fun, but maybe I will buy a second Fiio and ditch the tubes after a while: who knows? And it does not matter, whatever makes you a happy listener.

I've been listening to the HD 600's for a bit more this weekend: love the neutral, detailed sound and its comfort, it's very relaxing to my ears. I must be getting old: don't need that much bass anymore
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #12,433 of 23,456
I'm sure this has happened to many a Head-Fi'er:

Rearranging the chair they were sitting on, and sitting down while one of the legs is pressed on the headphone wire. This happened to me with my HD600.
blink.gif
I inspected the wire and there are some indentations on it. It might go away in time. Of course, there is no way to objectively measure whether the sound is exactly the same or not but the possibility that it might not be will forever be on the back of my mind. Now I find myself searching online for an official replacement cable from Sennheiser.

*sigh*

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #12,434 of 23,456
  I'm sure this has happened to many a Head-Fi'er:

Rearranging the chair they were sitting on, and sitting down while one of the legs is pressed on the headphone wire. This happened to me with my HD600.
blink.gif
I inspected the wire and there are some indentations on it. It might go away in time. Of course, there is no way to objectively measure whether the sound is exactly the same or not but the possibility that it might not be will forever be on the back of my mind. Now I find myself searching online for an official replacement cable from Sennheiser.

*sigh*

I have remotely inspected it.  There is absolutely no harm done.  The sound is exactly the same.  I checked with a doctor also; she said don't be so neurotic.  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back