Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #11,371 of 23,456
I got mine for ~280€ on Amazon and see that they're now listed at ~400€. 250$ is a pretty darn good price and I have not seen them any cheaper in thepast few years (the lowest price I knew till now was 230€).

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #11,372 of 23,456

I clicked and looked at it too. If you've been waiting for an even more ridiculously low price for some new HD600s, now is the time! The rebate link says the promotion runs until 4/27/2015 so you better act fast. Back to that temptation for a second set for absolutely no reason.......

No need for me to act fast, I've had HD600's for a few years and I paid a much higher price. 
mad.gif
 No deals back then. Hurry on up folks, if you need a pair, time is passing by, fast.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #11,376 of 23,456
  Anybody know how to check the serial number of HD 600? People said it is on the box. I only find a "part number".

Should be on the bottom of box. Mine is. Also uder earpad or I think the grill.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #11,378 of 23,456
Apr 28, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #11,379 of 23,456

HELP please

I bought this HD600 and Creative ZXR together.
But i hear only a small difference to sound compared to my cheap Kingston HyperX Cloud II ( gaming series product ).

Anche the open air is good only to prevent tiring and headache, but the soundstage open is not so different to the close Kingston.

Better sound but slightly with some effects like "guitar" and less kneaded when there are many effects together.

Sounds good, but 220€ soundcard + 320€ headphone and no WOW effect compared to a 99€ USB headset ? ( a toy for some users )

confused_face_2.gif

I used MP3 320Kbs and some FLAC tracks.
Gaming instead is only slightly better during explosions effects.

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #11,380 of 23,456

HELP please

But i hear only a small difference to sound compared to my cheap Kingston HyperX Cloud II ( gaming series product ).

Anche the open air is good only to prevent tiring and headache, but the soundstage open is not so different to the close Kingston.

Better sound but slightly with some effects like "guitar" and less kneaded when there are many effects together.

Sounds good, but 220€ soundcard + 320€ headphone and no WOW effect compared to a 99€ USB headset ? ( a toy for some users )

confused_face_2.gif

Might be cuz you're using a soundcard. They're not bad, but are way overpriced in terms of price/performance for musical applications in my opinion. Most people here use dedicated external DACs and amps because they are far better for musical applications at similar prices (Schiit stack for example costs about the same as your soundcard and works wonders with just about everything). I myself use a Topping stack and it cost me about $110 and it's stellar. HD600 sounds fantastic next to something like an Astro A40. I don't have a HyperX Cloud to compare to though so I couldn't tell you what you should roughly be hearing in terms of differences. Compared to the A40, I heard significantly more clarity with better defined vocals and instrument separation.

Also, for future comparisons, don't bother with games. The only that helps in games is headphones with large soundstages for when positional effects matter. Otherwise, it's pretty much moot as the audio is all compressed. You can feel free to do it just to enjoy the music though, like I did with Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #11,382 of 23,456
  I also passed to a Kingston DAC ( a toy 5x2cm ) to ZXR and still no WOW effect.

You've been understanding my point that your audio needs to be passed through a GOOD DAC right? Not something you call a toy that's the size of your thumb made by a company that isn't known in the slightest for audiophile products (that is if you're talking about the same company that made your headset)? You also shouldn't be looking for a "WOW" effect as you call it. Improvements in audio are often about subtlety. Better detail, more separation, larger soundstage, treble extension, bass texture, and many other buzzwords are all about nuanced improvement that adds up to a better overall listening experience. It's possible the HyperX Cloud II has the same sound sig as the HD600, just with overall less fidelity in which case there's not going to be anything resembling a "WOW" effect. It's only easiest to hear huge differences if sound signatures are totally different.

And yes, I realize my response is coming across as condescending, but please don't take it that way as it's just my sarcastic way of responding which isn't very easily representable in text
beerchug.gif
. Seriously speaking though, what's this Kingston DAC thing? Cuz I don't really know what you're working with. I haven't seen anything saying that the ZXR's DAC is particularly great either, which would mean it doesn't matter how capable your card is in terms of power (which the card is plenty capable of providing power I think).

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #11,383 of 23,456

HELP please

confused_face_2.gif

Hi Paul
The ZXR has pretty good specs as far as the DAC goes - unfortunately it doesn't say much about the power output, but it should be sufficient as the HD600 isn't a difficult load to drive.

My advice.
  • Turn off all the DSPs (digital signal processing) enhancements of the sound card.  Most of them are only useful for gaming, and actually give you poorer audio quality for straight music.
  • Listen to the HD600 and only the HD600 for the next 4-5 days.  Let yourself get used to its signature.  Take some time with them.
  • At the end of the 4-5 day period, then try your Kingston again - and compare.

If at that stage you don't hear any benefits - sell the HD600 (and the ZXR if its not helping).  People have different tastes.  If yours are satisfied by the Kingston - don't fight it, celebrate it.  You've just saved yourself a lot of money.

What may happen though is that in another 3-4 days, you may find the differences (which aren't apparent now) manifest themselves more clearly.

The HD600 remains for me one of the most true to life, natural sounding headphones I've had the pleasure of listening to. The T1 I own has more WOW factor - but the HD600 is perfect for realism and enjoying music.  It pleases me every time I use it.

Others won't enjoy it though.  If your someone who doesn't - don't fight it.  It just means you have different tastes and preferences. Don't try to conform or "make it happen".  Find out what you like, and go with that.

Good luck in your search.

Paul

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #11,384 of 23,456

You've been understanding my point that your audio needs to be passed through a GOOD DAC right? Not something you call a toy that's the size of your thumb made by a company that isn't known in the slightest for audiophile products (that is if you're talking about the same company that made your headset)? You also shouldn't be looking for a "WOW" effect as you call it. Improvements in audio are often about subtlety. Better detail, more separation, larger soundstage, treble extension, bass texture, and many other buzzwords are all about nuanced improvement that adds up to a better overall listening experience. It's possible the HyperX Cloud II has the same sound sig as the HD600, just with overall less fidelity in which case there's not going to be anything resembling a "WOW" effect. It's only easiest to hear huge differences if sound signatures are totally different.

And yes, I realize my response is coming across as condescending, but please don't take it that way as it's just my sarcastic way of responding which isn't very easily representable in text
beerchug.gif
. Seriously speaking though, what's this Kingston DAC thing? Cuz I don't really know what you're working with. I haven't seen anything saying that the ZXR's DAC is particularly great either, which would mean it doesn't matter how capable your card is in terms of power (which the card is plenty capable of providing power I think).

sorry, maybe i explained not so good.

A good quality sound circuit i read depends by the numbers of component and by the quality of component, specially by capacitors.
So i think that the external solutions are better because the circuit have a bigger area and there are any elettric interferences.

So a small and cheap DAC i think its impossible to be good.
im wrong ?

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #11,385 of 23,456
  sorry, maybe i explained not so good.

A good quality sound circuit i read depends by the numbers of component and by the quality of component, specially by capacitors.
So i think that the external solutions are better because the circuit have a bigger area and there are any elettric interferences.

So a small and cheap DAC i think its impossible to be good.
im wrong ?

Honestly even before I upgraded from my Creative X-FI PCIe sound card I could still appreciate the HD 600 over any other headphone I have tried, especially gaming grade stuff. But my comparisons were with music. When gaming I tend to only leave sound FX on and have my high bitrate audio playing in foobar2000. I don't play FPS much where positional audio matters but many have said the HD 600 is as good as anything else for this purpose. The HD 600 is so much more than that though, so maybe it's just not for you if you can't appreciate it. Stick to your gaming grade stuff if you feel its as good or better for your purposes, i'm sure you will have no problem getting top dollar for your mint HD 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back