Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #10,951 of 23,482
The HD 600 sounds great out of the box but the driver does need some time to break in. After break-in finishes the primary driver resonance (around 100 Hz) should shift slightly lower in frequency (I remember seeing an impedance graph comparison, it was -10 Hz at the most) so the bass will extend a little lower. Having used the HD 600 for 3 months now, the bass certainly sounds deeper to me. It's certainly deeper than I expected. I'm using a low shelf filter but I have it cut off at 65 Hz. Based on frequency response measurements I thought the cutoff would have to be 100 Hz, or at least 80.

i don't buy into this. If a resonance shifts from 100 Hz to 90 Hz, that does not mean the bottom end will extend any further than it started at. It is unlikely that such a small shift in freq will be detectable as it is not an active pitch that we would be able to perceive. Under what conditions and who did such a test for a resonance shift?

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #10,952 of 23,482
My 2c on break-in with the HD600 ...... ignore it .

You'll get more change from the pads compressing and settling in, and positional changes on your head - from an y mechanical break-in with the drivers.

If you do want to break-in with white/pink noise or whatever - go for it.  But don't expect any major changes.  These are dynamic drivers - not speakers - there is no spider to break in.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #10,953 of 23,482
I had forgotten where I read about the HD 600's driver resonance pre and post-break-in. It was in an article posted by...that guy who should not be named on Head-Fi. :wink: His observations were with the HD 650 and while a resonance shift does occur, the difference is, in his words, "so slight it's hard to imagine it's audible." So my purely subjective observations about the 600's bass gaining depth can be attributed to brain burn-in.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #10,954 of 23,482
I had forgotten where I read about the HD 600's driver resonance pre and post-break-in. It was in an article posted by...that guy who should not be named on Head-Fi.
wink.gif
His observations were with the HD 650 and while a resonance shift does occur, the difference is, in his words, "so slight it's hard to imagine it's audible." So my purely subjective observations about the 600's bass gaining depth can be attributed to brain burn-in.

I call that wishful thinking 
biggrin.gif
 Lots of that around head-fi. Enjoy your headphones, IMO over thinking it is a waste of time best spent listening to / enjoying music.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #10,956 of 23,482
  My 2c on break-in with the HD600 ...... ignore it .

You'll get more change from the pads compressing and settling in, and positional changes on your head - from an y mechanical break-in with the drivers.

If you do want to break-in with white/pink noise or whatever - go for it.  But don't expect any major changes.  These are dynamic drivers - not speakers - there is no spider to break in.

I agree. I found most if not all of the changes are due to the pads settling in.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #10,957 of 23,482
My HD600 should arrive tomorrow. My burnin will be listening to them.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #10,959 of 23,482
Another east coaster? Mine will be delivered tomorrow as well. Looking forward to them.

Southern Tier NY. I see we have some of the same IEMs. Just no mike on mine.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #10,960 of 23,482
Hi,

I have a pair of 10 yr old HD-600 that I hadn’t used for a couple of years when the sound gave out on the left side. Recently I opened up the grill and cups to check, didn’t see anything wrong and put them back. Voila, the sound came back. However, the cans now sound very constrained with zero soundstage, and clarity has suffered. I am playing them amped with the iphone as a source. 

With the iphone and same amp, I then compared it to the Audio-technica ESW-9. Although a closed headphone, the soundstage was very much larger than the HD600. Clarity was also significantly better.

Maybe I put the HD600 back wrong? Is this a guide online? Is this expected out of a 10yr old set? 

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #10,962 of 23,482
I've heard the O2 with the HD600 in my system. It sounded like sand with the dynamic contrast of a pancake. Different points of reference.

Everything you plug with O2 sound like sand
rolleyes.gif

I don't know how you guys can stand listening to the DT880 with an O2. It sounds like sand.
wink.gif

So yeah you don't like O2 at all , but it's Fine ^^ . Other will have a total opposite opinion . I will continue to enjoy my HD600 / DT880 through O2
smile.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #10,963 of 23,482
I primarily use iems for the noise isolation, but everytime I put on the 600's it's like getting back in touch with a long, lost best friend. New buyers will not be disappointed, especially when you consider the price.  It's an unbeatable bang for the buck!

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #10,964 of 23,482
Everything you plug with O2 sound like sand :rolleyes:

Yes. I own relatively transparent cans and it sure sounds like our respective points of reference, as to sound quality, differ greatly. [No offence]

So yeah you don't like O2 at all , but it's Fine ^^ . Other will have a total opposite opinion .

Fine with me. It's not like I have to listen with the O2. Is it my turn to roll my eyes?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back