Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #9,677 of 23,553
  I'm an Electrical Engineer and don't believe in cables but am not offended by those who believe. Sometimes different people interpret the same words differently.

Ah I see. What industry if you doing mind me asking? I was mentioning a general trend I have been noticing relating to reactions regarding cables, it's almost at the point where people can't even talk about them without stirring a hornet's nest. True, people often interpret the same thing differently, sometimes very much so.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #9,678 of 23,553
  I was mentioning a general trend I have been noticing relating to reactions regarding cables, it's almost at the point where people can't even talk about them without stirring a hornet's nest. 

That's another form of religion. And one can't talk about religion without making at least someone truly butthurt upset about it.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #9,679 of 23,553

That's another form of religion. And one can't talk about religion without making at least someone truly butthurt upset about it.

In a sense but I wouldn't really call it religion though. But what you are implying does apply to a lot of things such as politics, beliefs, etc. When there is strong differences in beliefs, opinions, etc. as well as strong emotions tied to the subject, heated debate is likely to ensue. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #9,680 of 23,553
I wonder if people who hear the veil listen at low volumes? I posted about hearing the veil after reading posts about it a short while ago. I realized the volume was a bit lower than what I usually listen at. Maybe I was expecting to hear the veil and subconsciously I kept the volume low to hear it. At my normal listening volume I don't hear it. I love the detail and resolution of these cans. It's like I have a window into the sound file.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #9,681 of 23,553
  I wonder if people who hear the veil listen at low volumes? I posted about hearing the veil after reading posts about it a short while ago. I realized the volume was a bit lower than what I usually listen at. Maybe I was expecting to hear the veil and subconsciously I kept the volume low to hear it. At my normal listening volume I don't hear it. I love the detail and resolution of these cans. It's like I have a window into the sound file.

We don't hear bass and treble as well at low volume. This is known as loudness contour or Fletcher-Munson. Glad to hear the veil has been lifted.

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #9,682 of 23,553
  Ah I see. What industry if you doing mind me asking? I was mentioning a general trend I have been noticing relating to reactions regarding cables, it's almost at the point where people can't even talk about them without stirring a hornet's nest. True, people often interpret the same thing differently, sometimes very much so.

I've worked in various industries, Audio, Electronic Music, Automation/Instrumentation(measurements) and more. These days I write software for Wall Street.
Unfortunately, some folks haven't learned to disagree peacefully.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #9,683 of 23,553
  I believe the misnomer, "veiled," came about when the HD600's came out about 19 years ago when headphones leaned towards treble. The HD600 being neutral seemed to many to have a veil, which is not true. Well, 19 years later the HD600 is still going strong and those other headphones are gone from the scene, what does that tell you?

It tells me that the HD 600 is a classic / legend and one of the few headphones that can claim to have been in continuous production for almost 2 decades!

The only thing I wish Sennheiser would update is the finish.  That early 90's 'faux granite' (or whatever it is) look hasn't aged nearly as well as the rest of it.

A nice contrasting matte black/gloss black finish would do wonders for them.

2017 'HD 600 - 20th Anniversary Edition' anyone? 
eek.gif

I can dream, can't I?!? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #9,684 of 23,553
It tells me that the HD 600 is a classic / legend and one of the few headphones that can claim to have been in continuous production for almost 2 decades!

The only thing I wish Sennheiser would update is the finish.  That early 90's 'faux granite' (or whatever it is) look hasn't aged nearly as well as the rest of it.

2017 'HD 600 - 20th Anniversary Edition' anyone?  :eek:  

I can dream, can't I?!?  :D

Oh I agree 100%!!

Somebody please forward this to Sennheiser and get them working on it ASAP!! And have them angle the drivers a little bit for better soundstage while they are at it...

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #9,687 of 23,553

2017 'HD 600 - 20th Anniversary Edition' anyone? 
eek.gif

I can dream, can't I?!? 
biggrin.gif

When I first looked at teh HD600's I thought uh, looks a little goofy. Once I listened I learned to look the other way.
Here's to the restyled 20th Anniverary Edition.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #9,688 of 23,553
LinusTechTips on youtube was invited to the Sennheiser factory. I forget which country but there is a recent video of his tour there. Linus own a pair of HD600's too as you can see them in his vdieos from time to time. I wonder if he can forward our suggestion to Sennheiser personally. Of course, there needs to be a demand and not just from the 4 of us lol. I wonder if we put out an online petition for 20th Anniversary HD600's and got 1000 signatures if Sennheiser would consider it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #9,689 of 23,553
  LinusTechTips on youtube was invited to the Sennheiser factory. I forget which country but there is a recent video of his tour there. Linus own a pair of HD600's too as you can see them in his vdieos from time to time. I wonder if he can forward our suggestion to Sennheiser personally. Of course, there needs to be a demand and not just from the 4 of us lol. I wonder if we put out an online petition for 20th Anniversary HD600's and got 1000 signatures if Sennheiser would consider it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can't wait, I'd bet that a good automotive body shop can restyle your pair.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #9,690 of 23,553
   I wonder if we put out an online petition for 20th Anniversary HD600's and got 1000 signatures if Sennheiser would consider it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Or maybe run the idea by the guys over at Massdrop. 
cool.gif

If anyone could pull it of, it would probably be them! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back