Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #9,631 of 23,553

Does this mean that those of us who bypassed the 600 and chose different phones in the same price range and slightly above have made a dreadful mistake? Please tell me, as I'm having trouble sleeping.

biggrin.gif

No, but it does mean, it is worth to give an hour of listening time to the HD600, if you never did. :wink:

I did, and quickly moved on to the HD650 and then, as I got older and my treble tolerance increased, the DT880. Which is where, at 68, I fear my headphone adventure may be ending.

Quote:
Please don't worry & start sleeping well again.  
Emoji_1F31B.png
Emoji_1F3E8.png

wink.gif

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #9,632 of 23,553

Does this mean that those of us who bypassed the 600 and chose different phones in the same price range and slightly above have made a dreadful mistake? Please tell me, as I'm having trouble sleeping.

biggrin.gif

No, but it does mean, it is worth to give an hour of listening time to the HD600, if you never did. :wink:

I did, and quickly moved on to the HD650 and then, as I got older and my treble tolerance increased, the DT880. Which is where, at 68, I fear my headphone adventure may be ending.

Quote:
Please don't worry & start sleeping well again.  
Emoji_1F31B.png
Emoji_1F3E8.png

wink.gif

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

LOL !!!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #9,633 of 23,553
Last year I wished for the HD 600 beneath the tree but no luck. I continued to use my 558s and tried to convince myself that the 600s wouldn't be that much better. A few months ago the 600 became available on the source that must not be mentioned (on Head-Fi) and I got them as an early gift. Wow!!! Even a couple of months in, I'm still thrilled. Listening to various "audiophile" selections on YouTube as I write. Even with my simple system (iPhone 4s, camera connector, Aune T1 with 7308 tube and the HD 600s) the depth, natural bass, crisp upper range and nice soundstage blow away anything the 558s could do with the same set up. This is no subtle difference either it's undeniable and overwhelming. I haven't heard the 650, 700 or 800 but, at this point I don't have the desire to keep looking. For a while, I'm just going to experience my marvelous 600s. Hope others get their wishes fulfilled. Merry Christmas!

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #9,636 of 23,553

That's interesting. As I age, my treble tolerance actually decreased. I had to move from HD600 eventually, however I was perfectly fine with them for almost a decade.

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #9,637 of 23,553
That's interesting. As I age, my treble tolerance actually decreased. I had to move from HD600 eventually, however I was perfectly fine with them for almost a decade.

I agree with the highs are less forgiving for me also. Still enjoying the HD600s. Hesitate to try the HD800s

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #9,638 of 23,553
I guess you can now say massdrop.

The AKG K7XX release blew the lid off of the whole "you're not allowed to mention it" thing.

I didn't see that release. For some reason this site no longer updates through my email.

By the way, how much did you pay?

Just curious

$275 USD an irresistable price, as far as I'm concerned. There's another vote on headphones on Massdrop and it looks like the 600 is ahead again!

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #9,640 of 23,553

Interesting, I'm 63 and a tinnitus sufferer but have no issue with the 600s, I can use these for hours and hours with comfort.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #9,641 of 23,553

How often do you change the earpads? When the earpads are squished on the HD600 the bass gets sloppy and also the treble. I have two pairs (one older) that I swap out every few weeks - the pads get enough rest then (although my original intent was just so I wouldn't have any downtime while I was drying out the newer pair).

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #9,642 of 23,553
  How often do you change the earpads? When the earpads are squished on the HD600 the bass gets sloppy and also the treble. I have two pairs (one older) that I swap out every few weeks - the pads get enough rest then (although my original intent was just so I wouldn't have any downtime while I was drying out the newer pair).

Before I got rid of HD600, I've replaced everything on them, including the drivers. But alas, it was my ears.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #9,643 of 23,553

Before I got rid of HD600, I've replaced everything on them, including the drivers. But alas, it was my ears.

I see you moved to planars :]

edit: your setup is almost identical to mine aside from the cans. I'm in love with this setup and I've heard gear costing thousands more at meets and none of it has made me feel like anything is missing.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #9,644 of 23,553
I am looking for a neutral headphones to complement my Grado 325e and ATH-M50.  I would very much like to have the HD800 but unfortunately I don't have the money and will probably not in the near future. 
the HD600 I can afford, But I afraid they will not be neutral enough (treble roll off).  I once owned the HD650 ,But that was a long time ago that I was a basshead and only wanted a bloated bass (I also owned the denon AH-D5000) and only complained
that the 650 didn't have enough bass for my taste...didn't appreciate them for their rather balanced sound signature, and I always remember head fiers saying that the HD600 is even more balanced.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #9,645 of 23,553
  I am looking for a neutral headphones to complement my Grado 325e and ATH-M50.  I would very much like to have the HD800 but unfortunately I don't have the money and will probably not in the near future. 
the HD600 I can afford, But I afraid they will not be neutral enough (treble roll off).  I once owned the HD650 ,But that was a long time ago that I was a basshead and only wanted a bloated bass (I also owned the denon AH-D5000) and only complained
that the 650 didn't have enough bass for my taste...didn't appreciate them for their rather balanced sound signature, and I always remember head fiers saying that the HD600 is even more balanced.

Their is no roll of treble with HD600 , in fact it has a decent ammout of enery in upper mids/lower treble , and the rest of treble is also well balanced . HD600 roll off in the sub bass departement , and their can be a slight elevation on the midbass (at around 100hz) , if you use an high impedance output amp .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back