Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #751 of 23,482
I think the Smurf Cadas cable is the best and only upgrade needed for the HD00s.  I played around with removing the foam and replacing it with pantyhose.  To me the HD/Cardas is the best combo still.  Had the HD650/ Mobius.  Great sound, still preferred the 6s

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #752 of 23,482

Quote:
I think the Smurf Cadas cable is the best and only upgrade needed for the HD00s.  I played around with removing the foam and replacing it with pantyhose.  To me the HD/Cardas is the best combo still.  Had the HD650/ Mobius.  Great sound, still preferred the 6s

Mogami Starquad is also good and cheap too for those that can't afford the Cardas or don't want to spend that much. I think the stock cable really holds back the sound of the HD-600. It is much smoother sounding with stock cables though.

The Mogami Starquad is only 90 cents per foot, but requires $20 Cardas connectors. It's quite easy to make too.

For those with extra money, the Double Helix wire might be a good match. Last I checked it was around $60-$80 for 4 sections of 6" wire. I use it for my HD-598, but got it with a trade.

BTW you can also make a Canare Smurf Blue cable
regular_smile%20.gif
Canare is a poor match for Sennheiser headphones though.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #753 of 23,482

Quote:
That's a fine looking cable, Donunus. Would love to know more on the sound signature. Thanks for sharing. 10 ft?

I only had a 5ft cable made. the sound sig is less forward than my old equinox IMO. They are closer to the stock cables signature but less congestion/better imaging. I like the sound quite a bit actually since they don't make the senns sound like something else. I tried using stock hd650 cables on the hd600s before by the way and didn't like them. I found them to be less coherent than the hd600s own stock cable and gave more of a U shaped sound. These Pro COs just sort of deveil the sound a little. Very nice for the price indeed!

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #754 of 23,482
Is there any aftermarket cable that makes the HD 600 creamier and lusher in the mids?  I actually prefer the stock cable because for all its detractors I like the smooth, rich sound it provides.  I wouldn't want more treble or a thinner, clearer sound.  I don't find any veil or lack in clarity; everything is nicely balanced.

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #755 of 23,482
The thing with this cable I'm using is that it doesn't really make the sound brighter, instead it just makes everything more crisply defined in space and less dry. If you wan't lusher and more forward, try the equinox cables. Then try Denko cables diy style if you want to get that lush sound cheap.

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #756 of 23,482

Quote:
I'm typically VERY hesitant to mod something that can't be put back to stock, which in this case is the little outer foam over the hole behind the driver.  But not this time.  I was easily swayed after reading this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577060/irvine-orange-county-meet-impressions

I did pause for a second before yanking out the little foam... but only for a second.

What happened to the sound of the hd600s when you took the little foam at the back off? i can't remember what that did since it was hard to put back in right away for comparisons when I did it to my old hd600 pair. As for the front foam, the sound becomes a little unneven with the foam off IMO.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #757 of 23,482

Quote:
I tried using stock hd650 cables on the hd600s before by the way and didn't like them. I found them to be less coherent than the hd600s own stock cable and gave more of a U shaped sound.

I guess I'm not a candidate for recabling my 600's. I can't hear any difference between the stock and 650 cables. I use the 650 cables simply because they seem sturdier.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #758 of 23,482
I also found that the stock HD600 cables had better sonic qualities than the HD650 cable.  While the latter might be more rugged I found it to be slightly more muffled and dark sounding.  My current cable is a Bottlehead cable which is essentially a grey cardas cable with a 90 degree termination.  It sounds nice and clear but I mainly prefer it because the termination works very well with the Crack.  I feel like tubes offer more audible customization than cables to my ears.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #759 of 23,482
I actually would have no issue with the stock cable but the 1/8" termination with adapter just bugs me. A headphone of this caliber and which obviously is meant to be plugged into an amplifier should not have a 18" plug. Period.

On another note, I just ripped my DVD-A copy of Dishwalla's "Opaline" (2-channel 24/96) and it was MADE for the HD 600. It's a great album and the sound is absolutely sublime through these headphones - it plays on all of the 600's strengths so perfectly.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #760 of 23,482

Quote:
I actually would have no issue with the stock cable but the 1/8" termination with adapter just bugs me. A headphone of this caliber and which obviously is meant to be plugged into an amplifier should not have a 18" plug. Period.

On another note, I just ripped my DVD-A copy of Dishwalla's "Opaline" (2-channel 24/96) and it was MADE for the HD 600. It's a great album and the sound is absolutely sublime through these headphones - it plays on all of the 600's strengths so perfectly.

If you are referring to the 1/8" termination, it is useful as I used the HD600 on my SR71A. The Ray Samuels SR71A was tweaked (configured) using the HD600.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #761 of 23,482
I'm listening to the DVD-A copy of In The Court Of The Crimson King.  I Talk To The Wind really shows how well the HD600 does instrument separation.  There is a deep sense of being able to hear an instrument with depth and spatial cues which is insanely great!  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #763 of 23,482
nice try 
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #764 of 23,482

Quote:
I also found that the stock HD600 cables had better sonic qualities than the HD650 cable.  While the latter might be more rugged I found it to be slightly more muffled and dark sounding.  My current cable is a Bottlehead cable which is essentially a grey cardas cable with a 90 degree termination.  It sounds nice and clear but I mainly prefer it because the termination works very well with the Crack.  I feel like tubes offer more audible customization than cables to my ears.

Wow, finally another person who also thinks the same thing! Almost. HD-650 cable on the HD-600 just seemed to add in an impression of very slightly more treble and more bass. The mids were much better (and slightly more forward) with the HD-600 cable. Don't know why. Of course, for those that want a larger soundstage, the HD-650 cable is the way to go.

My favorite cable for the HD-600 is Mogami Starquad.

It's really amazing how much better the HD-600 is with a cheap DIY cable. Of course it's probably less smooth sounding (and laid back) with Mogami.

What stinks is that the HD-600 cable is almost impossible to find now. Not on Amazon and appears to have gone missing on the Sennheiser website.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #765 of 23,482

Quote:
Is there any aftermarket cable that makes the HD 600 creamier and lusher in the mids?  I actually prefer the stock cable because for all its detractors I like the smooth, rich sound it provides.  I wouldn't want more treble or a thinner, clearer sound.  I don't find any veil or lack in clarity; everything is nicely balanced.

Canare Starquad would probably do that. Not a fan of that wire, but it's pretty easy to make one if you buy the Cardas connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back