Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #5,237 of 23,486
Nothing important.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #5,238 of 23,486
Hello headfiers,
I ordered a NAD VISO HP50 and a HiFiMAN HE 400, both on the way home :)
I choose them but also considered the senns hd 598 or 600. Are the sound signatures of the HE and the 600's comparable?
If considering buying another headphone, in order to not have two who are too similar, better buying the 600 or the 598?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #5,239 of 23,486
Hello headfiers,
I ordered a NAD VISO HP50 and a HiFiMAN HE 400, both on the way home
smily_headphones1.gif

I choose them but also considered the senns hd 598 or 600. Are the sound signatures of the HE and the 600's comparable?
If considering buying another headphone, in order to not have two who are too similar, better buying the 600 or the 598?

I've owned both the HD600 and HE400 at the same time. 
The sound signatures aren't drastically different, however, the HE400 has more bass and seemed to have a more V shaped response. The HD600 is much more comfortable and has a more forward midrange in comparison. They leak about the same. The HE400 was easier to drive.The HD600 cable is much more manageable and less annoying.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,240 of 23,486
Hello headfiers,
I ordered a NAD VISO HP50 and a HiFiMAN HE 400, both on the way home
smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned both the HD600 and HE400 at the same time. 
The sound signatures aren't drastically different, however, the HE400 has more bass and seemed to have a more V shaped response. The HD600 is much more comfortable and has a more forward midrange in comparison. They leak about the same. The HE400 was easier to drive.The HD600 cable is much more manageable and less annoying.

So did you feel that having both at the same time was somehow Unnecessary? Maybe having the 598 together with the he400 makes more sense since they are more different?

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #5,241 of 23,486
To me the HE-400 and HD600 can be completely polar opposite in signature, depending on what amp you're using for the HD600.  The HD600 has rolled off low bass, whereas the HE-400 extends far down.  The HE-400 has recessed upper mids for a more laid-back sound, whereas the HD600 is even somewhat emphasized in that area, with a small 3khz emphasis.  HD600 has a fair amount of lower treble, not very much upper treble, the HE-400 has tons of upper treble-- too much upper treble in fact.

I like the comfort of the HE-400 over a stock HD600, but I'm sure if you bend the HD600's headband out for less clamp it will be more comfortable.  Stock Senns have a clamp of death.

With a warmer amp the HD600 can sound more like an HD650.

Having both at the same time being deemed as unnecessary depends on the person.  I for one only use one full-sized headphone and some IEMs.  I think anything else is unnecessary.  Others might follow the thought of having multiple full-sized headphones.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #5,242 of 23,486
So did you feel that having both at the same time was somehow Unnecessary? Maybe having the 598 together with the he400 makes more sense since they are more different?

No I enjoyed having both they complimented each other well. I sold my HE400 to buy an LCD2.2. Big mistake as I didn't really like them.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #5,243 of 23,486
I'm sure somewhere in these pages there is mention of Schit Lyr and HD600 pairing. Anybody using it?

i think lyr + Hd600 is not  good combo, at least in my rig . i dont use it to power up my hd600
    Lyr will push the Hd600 to its edge as if it was having too much power ..in other word the lyr will make  the
   HD600 to sound like HD800 and to me that is not good. HD600 strength is not its  clarity
    but its specialty lies in its ability to deliver the musicality  and  makes poor recording files sound good..
   I tried many combo actually to make Hd600 sounds good with Lyr.
    I tried using  several good tubes like the siemans  cca , mullard E88cc and amperex SQ .
    In addition,  i also used  to several DIY powercords which cost more that
   lyr & try many conditionized electricity as if the lyr is having its own dedicated power supply. Last but not least ,
   i also tried several very good rca.   All i can say,  It would take a monumental effort or having the devil's luck
   to make hd600 really sings  with lyr.  Well, this is based on my experienced only   

Again ,  i am not a fan anymore of total black  background, prat , 3D sound , depth or super duper details. 
  To me , the most important is that the music must touch my soul. I will know it because i will find my breathing
  becomes so silent  up to a point  i am  kinda little bit suffocated  esp when listening to sad songs.
  I guess i am so engross to feel the emotion in the song which automatically resulted the system in my body 
  volume down everything including the my breathing  ..it just happens. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #5,244 of 23,486
  To me the HE-400 and HD600 can be completely polar opposite in signature, depending on what amp you're using for the HD600.  The HD600 has rolled off low bass, whereas the HE-400 extends far down.  The HE-400 has recessed upper mids for a more laid-back sound, whereas the HD600 is even somewhat emphasized in that area, with a small 3khz emphasis.  HD600 has a fair amount of lower treble, not very much upper treble, the HE-400 has tons of upper treble-- too much upper treble in fact.

I like the comfort of the HE-400 over a stock HD600, but I'm sure if you bend the HD600's headband out for less clamp it will be more comfortable.  Stock Senns have a clamp of death.

With a warmer amp the HD600 can sound more like an HD650.

Having both at the same time being deemed as unnecessary depends on the person.  I for one only use one full-sized headphone and some IEMs.  I think anything else is unnecessary.  Others might follow the thought of having multiple full-sized headphones.

It'll take more than warmth. More like colder and a touch veiled, Pushing up the mids and or upper bass of the HD600 will further the gap in sound. IMO pushing up the low end of bass and rolling off the treble a tad is more like the recipe for FR equality. I'm sure more will be required for an exact match. Contrary to myth, the HD650 is actually a touch more sensitive and is easier to drive, you can check the specs. I spent time with both, side by side comparing them for 45 minutes under the same driving conditions.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #5,245 of 23,486
I was thinking of getting these headphones for christmas. I can afford the magni and modi and I don't know if they are the best for these headphone at this price range. Are these the best dac and amp combo for these headphones at this price range?

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #5,246 of 23,486
Got an HD600 some hours ago , and i am very pleased with them . I read many times that they lack details , are not very transparent and veiled or something , but i don't find any of this issue . They are as detailled as my current DT 880 250 ohms , and highs are not missing or too dark , this first contact is very good , and the "natural sound" in the box is not a lie at all
tongue.gif

The trinity for "neutralish" sound in midfi : (K70X , DT 880 , HD600) IMO .

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #5,247 of 23,486
   i think lyr + Hd600 is not  good combo, at least in my rig . i dont use it to power up my hd600
    Lyr will push the Hd600 to its edge as if it was having too much power ..in other word the lyr will make  the
   HD600 to sound like HD800 and to me that is not good. HD600 strength is not its  clarity
    but its specialty lies in its ability to deliver the musicality  and  makes poor recording files sound good..
   I tried many combo actually to make Hd600 sounds good with Lyr.
    I tried using  several good tubes like the siemans  cca , mullard E88cc and amperex SQ .
    In addition,  i also used  to several DIY powercords which cost more that
   lyr & try many conditionized electricity as if the lyr is having its own dedicated power supply. Last but not least ,
   i also tried several very good rca.   All i can say,  It would take a monumental effort or having the devil's luck
   to make hd600 really sings  with lyr.  Well, this is based on my experienced only   

Again ,  i am not a fan anymore of total black  background, prat , 3D sound , depth or super duper details. 
  To me , the most important is that the music must touch my soul. I will know it because i will find my breathing
  becomes so silent  up to a point  i am  kinda little bit suffocated  esp when listening to sad songs.
  I guess i am so engross to feel the emotion in the song which automatically resulted the system in my body 
  volume down everything including the my breathing  ..it just happens. 

Haa...I find the LYR too energized for the hd600 too...the soundstage is constipated..:p
I cant cry like kamalz yet....sigh. hope to get to that stage one day..on some wretched song..:p

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5,248 of 23,486
  I was thinking of getting these headphones for christmas. I can afford the magni and modi and I don't know if they are the best for these headphone at this price range. Are these the best dac and amp combo for these headphones at this price range?

They should be fine. I personally went with the Modi + Vali, hoping it will be a better match. (not to say Modi+Magni is a bad match) 

I just suspect the tube sound might be a better complement for my preferences. If I got the 650's I would have gotten the Magni instead.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #5,249 of 23,486
  Got an HD600 some hours ago , and i am very pleased with them . I read many times that they lack details , are not very transparent and veiled or something , but i don't find any of this issue . They are as detailled as my current DT 880 250 ohms , and highs are not missing or too dark , this first contact is very good , and the "natural sound" in the box is not a lie at all
tongue.gif

The trinity for "neutralish" sound in midfi : (K70X , DT 880 , HD600) IMO .

You're kinda selling me on the HD600 
gs1000.gif

What would you say is more neutral in the mid-fi camp??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back