Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #5,176 of 23,482
I saw Black Sabbath live about 6 months ago. Shockingly Ozzy lasted the concert, I think he only forgot the lyrics once on one of the new songs. He didn't sound all too bad live, certainly didn't put me or anyone I went with off. Tony and Geezer sounded unreal. It was a fantastic concert.

Inspiring me to go listen to some Sabbath Bloody Sabbath now.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #5,178 of 23,482
  I have a question, is it new version of HD600 sound similar/same as old one ? specially in trebles I mean does have better crisp trebles compare to HD650 ?

Old or new model HD600, probably not much of any difference, more likely no differences. I spoke to someone at Sennheiser and they said not to expect any differences in the sound. I went to purchase and HD650 and spent 45 minutes comparing it to the HD600. I brought my own source, music and amp. I ended up getting the HD600. I found the HD600 treble crisper and more pleasing to my ears. Although the HD650 had a little more bass I found that the HD600 overall tone to be more pleasing and its bass more than ample. I also preferred the 1/8" plug on the HD600 cable, but the sound was the important factor in my decision. We're not talking about a huge difference, but enough to sway my opinion from HD650 to HD600.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #5,179 of 23,482
Thans for answer, are you compared new ver of HD600 to new HD650 ?
Here is nice review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eloioiCK88w
but I see he compare old HD600 to new HD650, I have new HD650 and don't like them too much specially for bad highs trebles are too calm for me, I like crisp and crystal clear highs.

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #5,180 of 23,482
  Thans for answer, are you compared new ver of HD600 to new HD650 ?
Here is nice review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eloioiCK88w
but I see he compare old HD600 to new HD650, I have new HD650 and don't like them too much specially for bad highs trebles are too calm for me, I like crisp and crystal clear highs.

yeah, that is a common complaint.  Return them and get the 600's.  Thats why this is the 600 appreciation thread.  I believe the 650's are perfect for people who are very sensitive to treble.  otherwise they sound muddy in comparison.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #5,184 of 23,482
And yet everyone thinks he's awesome, without necessarily being dumb enough to actually do acid (or other stuff). YOLO wasn't a thing back then.

It was, we called it "you are only young once". But we tended to avoid the really serious brain-damage events because braindead hippies from the 60's were all around to be seen and pitied. We could see people repeating that in the 80's and they got the same results. Duh.

Too many drugs had the same effect in 1983 as it does in 2013.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5,185 of 23,482

I used to.

Actually, I had the 598, 600, and 650 all at the same time. I wound up keeping the 600 as I thought it was the best of the bunch - kind of the middle road between the 598 and 650.

Same here. I also had the 580s. I think the 580s are pretty dang close to the 600s that I almost kept those over both the 600s/650s. 

It's funny to see when people WTT 650's for 600's.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #5,186 of 23,482
Has anybody tried the HD600 with a Lake People amp?

I had been fixated on getting the Bottlehead Crack since i got the HD600, but after getting to try a tube amp at a friend's house(Little Dot MKIII), i have kind of changed my mind about tube amps. The 600 did sound lovely and smooth, and vocals and bass were a step up from the E9K i have at home... but while on some songs it was awesome, in some of my favorite music(Nightwish, Anime OST's, etc) the extra warmth was definitely not a good thing.

So i have decided to get a neutral sounding SS amp in the $250 - $350 range. I know about the M-Stage, but i have been interested in the Lake People G103 because it's been described as a transparent amp that "gets out of the way of the music" by Innerfidelity. And does not have edginess. Edginess = potential sibilance = Urggh.

So.. any other amps that in that price range you guys would recommend?

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #5,187 of 23,482

I had been fixated on getting the Bottlehead Crack since i got the HD600, but after getting to try a tube amp at a friend's house(Little Dot MKIII), i have kind of changed my mind about tube amps. The 600 did sound lovely and smooth, and vocals and bass were a step up from the E9K i have at home... but while on some songs it was awesome, in some of my favorite music(Nightwish, Anime OST's, etc) the extra warmth was definitely not a good thing.

So i have decided to get a neutral sounding SS amp in the $250 - $350 range. I know about the M-Stage, but i have been interested in the Lake People G103 because it's been described as a transparent amp that "gets out of the way of the music" by Innerfidelity. And does not have edginess. Edginess = potential sibilance = Urggh.

I power my HD600 with a Violectric HPAv90 and I'm pretty sure Violectric is a part of Lake People (correct me if I'm wrong). Lovely amp. Might be a bit above you $350 price range though. I got it for about $400 here in Australia but I'm pretty sure that was a stellar deal.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #5,188 of 23,482

So i have decided to get a neutral sounding SS amp in the $250 - $350 range.

If you can find the Cantate used that should be around $350(+shipping); there are a bunch of other amps for less using a similar circuit (Headfive, etc) without the DAC and the fancy case that go for a lot less. Or you can get the current Jazz. Either way, the entire Wishmaster album (and the others too but this one's my personal fave) sounds fantastic on these. The DAC circuit on the Cantate is no slouch though - it might be a simple USB DAC using a chip that doubles as its USB receiver (which is what more complex DACs use it for) but I've compared this to a bunch of CDPs. The latter have a much larger soundstage but that's it - the CDPs are a touch too warm, and the imaging isn't good (drums much wider than the guitars, drums behind my head instead of in front, etc) - I think the only one I've tried so far that I enjoyed better than the USB DAC in the Cantate was the Cayin CD50T and Arcam CD72 (the others were the older Rega Apollo, Marantz CD5004/6004, Cambridge 351C and 651C).

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #5,189 of 23,482
  I power my HD600 with a Violectric HPAv90 and I'm pretty sure Violectric is a part of Lake People (correct me if I'm wrong). Lovely amp. Might be a bit above you $350 price range though. I got it for about $400 here in Australia but I'm pretty sure that was a stellar deal.

+1

I had a Violectric V90 with my HD 600's and it was a fine amp. The G103 should be very comparable. I'm a big fan of Lake People/Violectric.

And yes, I agree about OTL sound. I love my Bottlehead Crack, but there are some albums which sound too syrupy with it. I routinely switch between SS and OTL depending on the music (and my mood).

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #5,190 of 23,482

If you're willing to wait for delivery times, the Schiit Asgard 2 is a great SS amp for the HD600. Plenty of power when using high gain to drive the Senns, while you still have the flexibility for lower impedance cans with the low gain switch as well as a line-out to feed powered speakers. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back