Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #5,131 of 23,482
Hi Guys

Since installing the Canare balanced cable to hook up to my recently acquired Bryston BHA-1 my HD580s (with 600 grills) have been my unanimous go-to phones the last few days, not too sure if it’s the cable , the weather or the new amp (most likely), but they've been playing second fiddle for the last few years to the AKG H701s and Grado SR325i’s, just saying!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #5,132 of 23,482
I decided to not try out differences between cables as well as to only use science/graphs as a starter point/reference when listening, because...

Once I worry if I am hearing placebo, it is all ruined. When I doubt myself should be hearing differences, I am in reverse placebo (expecting myself to not hear differences due to science). So, either way I am screwed, hence why bother?

Afterall I am not a machine. Yes my mood, my room, my whatever all contributes to the overall listening satisfaction. Who cares about the isolated scenarios when I am always under the influence of such measures?

Quote:
  Hi Guys

Since installing the Canare balanced cable to hook up to my recently acquired Bryston BHA-1 my HD580s (with 600 grills) have been my unanimous go-to phones the last few days, not too sure if it’s the cable , the weather or the new amp (most likely), but they were been playing second fiddle for the last few years to the AKG H701s and Grado SR325i’s, just saying!
smily_headphones1.gif

For the record I never liked the AKG 701's, just saying! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Don't tell the Zeolites however, they will come and hunt me down 
eek.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #5,133 of 23,482
Anyway to the person who asked if the HD600 was a great option for heavy metal/post metal/black metal - well I listen to Metal a bit and I wouldn't ever do it on the  HD600 as the headphone lacks speed as far as those genres go. Sennheiser 25 II I might be worth looking into, they are phenomenal for fast metal, I also liked the DT770 and Grado RS1i. I don't really enjoy many lower end headphones for heavy metal personally though, its up to things like the HE-500, HE-6, LCD-2/X/3 for me due to their higher driver speeds and clarity.

Thank you :wink:
even though was wondering for the sound, and not the speed.

Several bands of black metal or post-metal that I listen to have reduced speed of execution, slowly, doomy, ambient and atmospheric passages.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5,134 of 23,482
  Guys, please stop and move the cable disscusion to more fitting thread please? I don't want this thread closed... You see, I learn a lot by just reading this thread. Anyway, my HD600 is still going strong, and I enjoy every bit of it.

I just wish my Aune T1 less bright.

I'm wondering, is there any OTL tube AMP on USD 350 price range beside Crack and LF 336?

Check out the Little Dot amps.

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=f8599c7a9b36c91f8a59046ce4d5511c

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm late to the party

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #5,135 of 23,482
  Guys, please stop and move the cable disscusion to more fitting thread please? I don't want this thread closed... You see, I learn a lot by just reading this thread. Anyway, my HD600 is still going strong, and I enjoy every bit of it.

I just wish my Aune T1 less bright.

I'm wondering, is there any OTL tube AMP on USD 350 price range beside Crack and LF 336?

I don’t know, as long as it’s about the cable between the phones and the amp I believe it’s fairly pertinent.
The copper wiring may not be in question, but the connections, balanced vs single ended, micro-phonics transmitted through physical vibrations of the sheathing all come into play.
Anytime an adapter is used, mini plug to ¼” , even the input jack on the amp for example, can cause certain anomalies as the electrons need to make a physical jump from one metal to another and it is perceptible with a revealing set up, especially with the higher frequencies and can cause some harshness to the sound.
And unless these problems are addressed changing amps may be barking up the wrong tree.
I addressed this about twenty years ago and concluded the ideal setup would be to have the cable hard-wired from the amp to the headphone drivers, totally impractical for most but it would be the ideal approach.
So in a nutshell anything that can and will increase one’s performance of the headphones should be open to discussion IMHO.
Having said that, I more or less gave up the cable discussions years ago ,
deadhorse.gif
Just do a routine maintenance on all your equipment, source to headphones, making sure all connections are solid and cleaned periodically and one should be fine.

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #5,136 of 23,482
Well I'm kinda new to Head-fi & since I'm a big fan of the HD600 here's my personal review of them which also touches on the amps & replacement cable (only mention it not analyze it).  Here goes :

What I enjoy the most out of the HD600 sound is the balance & clarity.  Right now I'm listening to Jeff Beck, "Blow by Blow" c1975 (produced by George Martin).  My sources are : TEAC PD-H600 (PD-H600 uses the Burr Brown PCM1796 D/A converter, a 192kHz/24-bit component) & Kenwood KA-8006 (70WPC) vintage integrated amplifier (1974); the HD600 replacement cable is from Headroom, Cardas Fatpipe cable for HD6XX.  

The sound is simply exquisite.  I was listening to the album with my HD650s previously and the difference I noticed immediately when I switched to the HD600 was the forward clarity of the cymbals & ping sound with no roll off (sibilance free) while simultaneously hearing all of the other instruments & nuances, perfectly balanced; some in the background but never overwhelmed.  My amp is set at it's most neutral possible i.e. the loudness option is never activated;  I only put the emphasis on the filters to bring out the subtleties when I'm listening at a reasonable high volume.  

This set up which is about all I can afford works wonders & truly makes the HD600 perform at it's peak.  They never sound coloured at any time.  As for the lack of bass or sub bass mentioned so often, let me just say that I can feel the bass in the sound as well as hear it i.e. the bass drum is felt & is always there & it's a special kind of subtleness by which I mean you can't miss it and I believe these headphones were designed this way in order to capture every sound possible without any over powering bass/sub bass or added treble/sibilance.  Again, when properly driven the bass sound/feel is unmistakably present.  It's quite ingenious when you consider it.  I've owned the HD800 in the past & I still prefer the HD600 overall.  I'm not saying they are better or dissing the HD800 but merely expressing my personal preference.  I've owned the HD600s for over 10years (the ones I'm listening to now are my 2nd pair) & I have always come back to them eventually.  When I put them on after having put them aside for a while and turn the music on they never fail to bring a smile on my face & a nod because my ears & brains are saying to me  : "Ah yes, good ol' 600s, they've never let me down" They're like an old pair of slippers which you can wear all day/night in complete & total comfort.  

Sorry for being long winded : to my ears YES they are neutral & thus permits me to adjust them, tweak them ever so slightly with a good amp to bring out the best of them & that's when they truly shine.  

Neutral AND subtly adjustable with proper source = makes them shine.
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #5,137 of 23,482
Good stuff, thanks for your insight :)

On the subject of cables; is there a good place that I can get a pre-made cable replacement for the HD600? Sound quality is not my issue, as I am not quite to the point where I want to start down that road, but I do feel as though the standard cable on the HD600s is a little frail, and I would like something more hefty, maybe even with a paracord lining if possible.

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #5,141 of 23,482
  Good stuff, thanks for your insight :)

On the subject of cables; is there a good place that I can get a pre-made cable replacement for the HD600? Sound quality is not my issue, as I am not quite to the point where I want to start down that road, but I do feel as though the standard cable on the HD600s is a little frail, and I would like something more hefty, maybe even with a paracord lining if possible.

Sennheiser states that the cable is "Kevlar-reinforced" and from the feel is of a durable rubber and from experience, free of  microphonics. IMO, it doesn't have to be thick and heavy to be durable enough for the intended use. "Detachable OFC copper cable, Kevlar-reinforced, with very low handling noise."

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5,142 of 23,482
^^
Yup, I never had a single complaint about the stock cable. High quality, not microphonic, flexible but doesnt tangle (my Denon cable was bad about this), and durable. The advantage of the stock 600 cable is the very flush 1/8 to 1/4 adapter - best of any headphone I have used.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #5,143 of 23,482
I don't plan on abusing it, but, let's face it, sometimes it's going to get stepped on or snagged on something. If you all think it is durable enough to stand up to those kinds of things, I'll believe it and stick with the stock. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #5,145 of 23,482
  I don't plan on abusing it, but, let's face it, sometimes it's going to get stepped on or snagged on something. If you all think it is durable enough to stand up to those kinds of things, I'll believe it and stick with the stock. Thanks!

Why not just use it and if it breaks (probably only if you're extra rough with it), get a replacement then? Instead of spending money on something you don't know will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back