Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #3,316 of 23,454
32Ohm closed. ALO is still there but they dont have a brick and motar storefront anymore.

Headphone Bar in Vancouver, BC is the closest brick and motar headphone store. The owner is a good guy.

http://www.headphonebar.com/

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,317 of 23,454
Quote:
Ive tried a few NAD amps with my Sennheisers and they definitely have a warmer sound. The higher output impedance causes this, which some find appealing. To me, it makes the headphones sound a little muddy and bloated. Personal preference...

I have never heard the Darkvoice but Ive heard good things about it.

Our next Seattle meet is at Bottlehead HQ in July. It would be great if you could join us! Doc B is a great host and I think you would have a great time.

+1 for darkvoice, especially their tubes, if thats your thing

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #3,318 of 23,454
Hey guys, I'm gonna need to replace my ear pads.  Got my HD600s almost 1 1/2 yrs ago and it's all oily, smelly and feel pretty used up and I don't feel like cleaning it.  I think getting new ear pads are better.  Which ear pads you guys recommend and can you give me a link to them?  I prefer Amazon but any reputable place is good too.  Also I heard I got one of the last HD600s before they changed it a little bit, would this affect anything?

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #3,319 of 23,454
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm gonna need to replace my ear pads.  Got my HD600s almost 1 1/2 yrs ago and it's all oily, smelly and feel pretty used up and I don't feel like cleaning it.  I think getting new ear pads are better.  Which ear pads you guys recommend and can you give me a link to them?  I prefer Amazon but any reputable place is good too.  Also I heard I got one of the last HD600s before they changed it a little bit, would this affect anything?

I got mine from Headroom, you can order them direct from Sennheiser too I think.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,320 of 23,454
Looking to hear from anyone who successfully upgraded their HD600. By successfully I mean found a phone that does everything the 600 does, only better. I have bought quite a few headphones and several of them I really liked, until I compared them to my 600's. I am beginning to think the HD800 is the only answer, maybe the 700. Would like to keep the cost down around $500-$900 if possible. I have both a solid-state and a tube amp so that isn't going to be a problem. What I am thinking of at this point is either the HE-500's or the LCD-2's.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,321 of 23,454
Quote:
Looking to hear from anyone who successfully upgraded their HD600. By successfully I mean found a phone that does everything the 600 does, only better. I have bought quite a few headphones and several of them I really liked, until I compared them to my 600's. I am beginning to think the HD800 is the only answer, maybe the 700. Would like to keep the cost down around $500-$900 if possible. I have both a solid-state and a tube amp so that isn't going to be a problem. What I am thinking of at this point is either the HE-500's or the LCD-2's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656160/review-hifiman-he-500-vs-sennheiser-hd600

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #3,322 of 23,454
Quote:

i've had my hd600's for about 3 months now, and i was recently thinking along the same lines.  i was wanting to upgrade to something like the hd800 or he6.  i recently went to my local audio shop and listened to the beyerdynamic t1's while i was there.  they have pretty much the same setup as i do, plenty of 24/96 tracks and the same amp.  i listened to the t1 for about an hour and decided that it was only slightly better than the hd600. not $1000 dollars better.  i think that the money that you want to spend might be better spent on an amp since the hd600 scales so nicely with better amps. if you've already got a good amp, just buy a bunch of music

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #3,323 of 23,454
Quote:
I got mine from Headroom, you can order them direct from Sennheiser too I think.

Damn, didn't realize how expensive they are...$50+.  I think I'll just wash them.  Can I use water only?  And after washing can I hang them up after squeezing water out or would I have to use a hair blow dryer to dry them out to avoid mold or whatever?

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,324 of 23,454
Quote:
i've had my hd600's for about 3 months now, and i was recently thinking along the same lines.  i was wanting to upgrade to something like the hd800 or he6.  i recently went to my local audio shop and listened to the beyerdynamic t1's while i was there.  they have pretty much the same setup as i do, plenty of 24/96 tracks and the same amp.  i listened to the t1 for about an hour and decided that it was only slightly better than the hd600. not $1000 dollars better.  i think that the money that you want to spend might be better spent on an amp since the hd600 scales so nicely with better amps. if you've already got a good amp, just buy a bunch of music

I don't know it is hard to think that an old 'outdated' headphone is still kicking major butt after all these years. I know there are better headphones out there and I guess I am just trying some way not to spend $1500-$2000 to get one, but the more I look and listen, the more it looks like that is what is going to have to happen to significantly improve on the HD600.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3,325 of 23,454
Quote:
I don't know it is hard to think that an old 'outdated' headphone is still kicking major butt after all these years. I know there are better headphones out there and I guess I am just trying some way not to spend $1500-$2000 to get one, but the more I look and listen, the more it looks like that is what is going to have to happen to significantly improve on the HD600.

i think we are in the same boat.  i would like to get more detail, but it would cost about that or more to get what i seek.  i decided that i'm going to stick with my hd600's for a while.  don't get me wrong, i absolutely love them.  i decided to save my money and upgrade my record player instead

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3,326 of 23,454
Originally Posted by HPiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've owned the HD600, HE-500.. and currently own the HD800.  I enjoyed my time with the first two phones... but the HD800 is a real, unequivocal step above them.

While the HE-500's bass capabilities were stunning, I couldn't entirely get on with the midbass-centered response.  I found the HE-500 mids too warm, forward, and thick & the treble to roll off too soon for my tastes.  From a technical standpoint, it was very impressive.. but its signature was something I couldn't see myself being agreeable with in the long term.  I simply loved the HD600.  I've written quite a bit about it in this thread (when I had it), so I won't rehash.  Interestingly enough, it has a slightly midbass-centric bass presentation as well, but I didn't find it anywhere near as irksome as the HE-500 (similar) bass presentation.  

After owning (and enjoying) the HD600 for quite some time, my lust & curiosity for the HD800 grew too strong.  I purchased it 'blind' (without ever hearing it it once) and that (risky) decision turned out to be, arguably, the best decision I've ever made in personal audio (what's the second best?  Getting the HD600.. LOL).  The HE-500 is often considered the 'natural' upgrade to the HE-500.  I tended to agreed with that recommendation.. but after having owned it and the HD800, I find the latter to be an even more proper 'upgrade path' for HD600 owners.  My love & respect for the HD600 has not diminished in anyway since the HD800 arrived, though.  It still remains one of the best phones I've ever heard and if, for some reason, I had to downgrade to it from the HD800, I'd have no reservations or regrets.  Yes, the HD800 is (very clearly) more impressive.. but the HD600 is very special to me in it's own way.

I felt I did my research pretty well before getting the HD800, though.  Part of what made the decision to buy the HD800 easy was.. the lack of anything else around (or a little below) its price point that really distinguished itself.  The T1, LCD-2, HE-500, etc. never really struck me as the one (semi/open-backed) phone I'd want to buy and keep for an extended period of time.  Having had the HD800 for six months now, I've got absolutely no desire to get another full sized phone.

Provided your upstream gear synergizes well with it, I'm fairly certain the HD800 will rock your ******** world.  I've got a (desktop) solid state & tube rig for my HD800, as well (see my signature).. and I find both to gracefully let the HD800 sing.  My souped up Crack drives the HD800 beautifully.. as does the Violectric stack.  Both are actually similar in many ways in terms of sound (smooth, transparent, very technically-capable).. with the tube rig sounding a little more liquid, rich, and musical.

I don't think getting the HD800 to sing requires mega-bucks (but it helps!  LOL) to be spent on upstream gear.. but don't expect too many "budget"-oriented options to show you what it can really do.  That being said, there are some very nice option under $1000 that are said to impress (the Burson Soloist/SL is considered one of the best solid state amps under a $1K for the HD800.. I can personally vouch for the Violectric V200 & speedballed BH Crack to sound terrific with the HD800).

So, if you liked the HD600 as much as I did.. I'd recommend not dilly dallying around with phones you hope might scratch your HD600-upgrade itch.. go with the HD800 and know you're getting a badass phone than many HD600 lovers cherish.

wink_face.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3,327 of 23,454
Quote:
Damn, didn't realize how expensive they are...$50+.  I think I'll just wash them.  Can I use water only?  And after washing can I hang them up after squeezing water out or would I have to use a hair blow dryer to dry them out to avoid mold or whatever?

Yes you can wash them, use warm water (not hot) and just a bit of laundry soap. I dry mine on low heat till they are almost dry and then air dry them the rest of the way.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,328 of 23,454
i used the toaster oven ...3mins...bottom heat....off it....a few mins later...another 3 mins...until its toasted dry.
gs1000.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3,329 of 23,454
Quote:
Yes you can wash them, use warm water (not hot) and just a bit of laundry soap. I dry mine on low heat till they are almost dry and then air dry them the rest of the way.

You use a hair blow dryer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back