Thank you kindly. I do enjoy it. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #3,307 of 23,454
Quote:
Ditto, looks great!

Thanks for the kind words. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #3,308 of 23,454
Quote:
Anyone know of any after market ear pads that are more dense and plush than stock? I find the stock pads a bit on the hard side.

I would also like to know this. I am quite enjoying the HD 600, but the pads do have a slight cheap feel to them. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3,309 of 23,454
Thinking of acquiring a dedicated headphone amp for my HD 600s.  Been using my NAD integrated or Pioneer A/V receiver to date.  I have been considering the Schiit Lyr, Schiit Vahalla or a Little Dot amp.  Budget is $250 to $399. I realize a new Lyr is a little outside the budget but if it is worth it ...  Any comments on my choices or other recommendations?  BTW, I listen mostly to roots rock and Jazz.  And I think I want to try tube rolling.

Thank you for considering my question.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #3,310 of 23,454
Thinking of acquiring a dedicated headphone amp for my HD 600s.  Been using my NAD integrated or Pioneer A/V receiver to date.  I have been considering the Schiit Lyr, Schiit Vahalla or a Little Dot amp.  Budget is $250 to $399. I realize a new Lyr is a little outside the budget but if it is worth it ...  Any comments on my choices or other recommendations?  BTW, I listen mostly to roots rock and Jazz.  And I think I want to try tube rolling.

Thank you for considering my question.

I use a Darkvoice 336se, the newest/best iteration would be the LaFigaro 336c. 300 shipped to the US. I'm loving it a lot. Disclaimer, my amp experience is light, previously used amps are the Aune T1, Objective2, E10, & E17. So strictly budget/low-fi stuff.

I would also like to know this. I am quite enjoying the HD 600, but the pads do have a slight cheap feel to them. 

There's a video mod of destuffing the pads and replacing with memory foam and you can choose how full you want to stuff them so that's an option. I haven't done it myself but I plan on at least doing the headband mod. I picked up the HD600 used and the headband is flat. Currently using a beyer headband for padding. :D

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #3,311 of 23,454
Which Pioneer AVR do you have? I have a VSX-1122 and an Elite SC-25 and they both drive my HD800's beautifully. Modern Pioneer AVRs, unlike most others (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, etc.) have very good low output impedance (which Sennheisers really need) headphone stages built right in. Ive tried many, many amps and in my experience, you'll be very hard pressed to find a dedicated headphone amp that sounds better than your Pioneer.

Tube amps, on the other hand, are a different animal altogether. They can be fun to play with and can have a lovely (if distorted) sound with Sennheisers. Tube rolling is a fun pastime for a lot of members here, and an exercise in frustration for others. In my opinion, its virtually impossible to get "accurate sound" this way, but if you are looking for fun sound through trial and error, you might really enjoy it. If you decide to try it, I personally think the Bottlehead Crack is a good affordable choice.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3,312 of 23,454
Thank you MrEleventy and Palmfish for your replies.  

I will look into the Darkvoice.  My Pioneer is a VSX-51 and the NAD is a C 326BEE. The 51 obviously has a DAC built in and sounds clean and detailed.  I am not using a DAC with the NAD - in part to try to "hear" the differences between songs going through a DAC and those that aren't run through a DAC - but I suspect when I get a DAC for the NAD I am going to like the NAD a bit more.  The NAD sounds warmer.  I am sure it would be better for me to not to use two different amps for my DAC experiment but, at the moment, it is what it is. 
size]

For the reasons you articulate Palmfish, that is why I want to try tubes,  I am hesitant to build a a Crack as I don't have the time or space at the moment.  Just interested in playing around with tubes and see where it takes me.

I also live in Seattle.  I always seem to miss the CanFests.  It would be nice to hear lots of different gear.

Thanks again for the input.

P.S. I have enjoyed following this thread.  Been a lurker for a while now.

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #3,313 of 23,454

I will look into the Darkvoice.  My Pioneer is a VSX-51 and the NAD is a C 326BEE. The 51 obviously has a DAC built in and sounds clean and detailed.  I am not using a DAC with the NAD - in part to try to "hear" the differences between songs going through a DAC and those that aren't run through a DAC - but I suspect when I get a DAC for the NAD I am going to like the NAD a bit more.  The NAD sounds warmer.  I am sure it would be better for me to not to use two different amps for my DAC experiment but, at the moment, it is what it is. 
size]

For the reasons you articulate Palmfish, that is why I want to try tubes,  I am hesitant to build a a Crack as I don't have the time or space at the moment.  Just interested in playing around with tubes and see where it takes me.

I also live in Seattle.  I always seem to miss the CanFests.  It would be nice to hear lots of different gear.

Ive tried a few NAD amps with my Sennheisers and they definitely have a warmer sound. The higher output impedance causes this, which some find appealing. To me, it makes the headphones sound a little muddy and bloated. Personal preference...

I have never heard the Darkvoice but Ive heard good things about it.

Our next Seattle meet is at Bottlehead HQ in July. It would be great if you could join us! Doc B is a great host and I think you would have a great time.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #3,314 of 23,454
Quote:

size]

I may be mistaken but isn't 32 Ohm Audio in Portland, OR?  I'm not sure how far a drive it is to portland from Seattle but it may be worth a day trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back