Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #22,306 of 23,425
HD600 is still one of the best mid ranges I have heard. Sounds so realistic. It doesnt have good bass reproduction and lacks some micro details but they are amazing ...

Listening them out of the Dave and just enjoying the music. :)
Mmm... I think aspects of the bass are good. They are quick, like a good acoustic suspension speaker with near ideal Q of .707. That also don't bleed multiple bass instruments as much as many other cans with rep for bass like the 4XX or X00. With EQ you can get them to about 50 Hz down -2 db without making them wallow with too much EQ. That's on a good SS amp with solid bass. On a transformerless tube like my BHCs they go down to 35 Hz with a bit of EQ. Not enough for the lovers of organs at the lowest stop and bass heads but enough for actual music most people listen too. Of course the thightness relaxes a bit on tubes but it's not chubby.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #22,307 of 23,425
Boy, I leave you guys alone for a couple of weeks and this thread devolves into a measurements vs golden ears argument?!?!

Albert Einstein settled that ‘dispute’ long ago (and it’s been in my signature here from the get go):

“Not everything that we count counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”

I agree with @bagwell359 and @jonathan c and @gimmeheadroom - if you like it and it gives you pleasure, then it’s good. You don’t have to meet some mythical perfect specification, you just have to enjoy your music. Sheesh!!
Yes sort of. There are objective steps one can take which makes it less likely subjective impressions rule the roost which make it more likely you are off the beam.

Now ultimately our perceptions are all subjective - but one can for instance have a plan for testing break in or A vs B testing that will cut mistakes made in subjective mode. Still if I don't like it (4XX, 560, 5SE, X00, most German cans, most Grados, LCD-2 and 3 - then I don't have it. Can you imagine being a total objectavist and getting equipment you dont like because stats say it's good??

Sounds ridiculous but with these stringent doctrinaire scolds - who knows what goes?

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #22,308 of 23,425
Yes sort of. There are objective steps one can take which makes it less likely subjective impressions rule the roost which make it more likely you are off the beam.

Now ultimately our perceptions are all subjective - but one can for instance have a plan for testing break in or A vs B testing that will cut mistakes made in subjective mode. Still if I don't like it (4XX, 560, 5SE, X00, most German cans, most Grados, LCD-2 and 3 - then I don't have it. Can you imagine being a total objectavist and getting equipment you dont like because stats say it's good??

Sounds ridiculous but with these stringent doctrinaire scolds - who knows what goes?
Or, conversely, imagine refusing to buy something you really enjoy just because it doesn’t ‘measure up’. Reductio ad absurdum, sure, but I think that’s actually the way it works for the Science crew.

Jul 10, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #22,309 of 23,425
Or, conversely, imagine refusing to buy something you really enjoy just because it doesn’t ‘measure up’. Reductio ad absurdum, sure, but I think that’s actually the way it works for the Science crew.
Hard to say. I think ingenuity matched with engineering know how and rules is where designers should live. Sales and marketing get out the word but they introduce cost controls and compromise in terms of appeal - but not actual results.

I don't.like everything being a black box so I try to understand the tech but also in the case of HFM cans figure out or confirm the lack of attention to cups and cables etc and effect my own changes. Not a perfect model but better to me than just being a supplicant consumer or measurements first person. Don't know anybody that listens via dials and readouts.

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #22,311 of 23,425
Aug 12, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #22,313 of 23,425
Bought an adapter and tried the Lavricable Grand cable on the Senn 600. Sounded more detailed, more engaging, little more spacious. Not a night and day difference.

Aug 14, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #22,314 of 23,425
Bought an adapter and tried the Lavricable Grand cable on the Senn 600. Sounded more detailed, more engaging, little more spacious. Not a night and day difference.
The 600s are definitely neutral enough to let you pick out subtle cable differences. Don’t know the Lavricables specifically, but for me cable differences are generally subtle - not night and day (except, I suppose, in the case of an extreme mismatch, or vice versa), but more in the realm of fine tuning. But if you hear them as ‘more engaging’, then imho, you’ve got a home run! There are, of course, a multitude of cable deniers, but I definitely do NOT want to open that can of worms…. 🔥🔥🔥

YMMV, IMHO, Just my $.02, etc., etc., etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #22,316 of 23,425
Ok so only just found this thread and I’m going to have to ask. Apologies.
HD600 and classical/orchestral music. Good match?
I’d be driving them with an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack.
Yes, the HD600 is very good for classical/orchestral, but maybe not for the most busy of passages IMHO.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #22,319 of 23,425
Ok so only just found this thread and I’m going to have to ask. Apologies.
HD600 and classical/orchestral music. Good match?
I’d be driving them with an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack.
I personally think the hd600 were designed expressly for classical music BUT, as I have stressed many times before, as dynamic, 300 ohm cans, they are very amp dependent and I do not know your amp well enough to have an opinion one way or the other about whether or not it is a good mate for the 600. That being said, a properly amped 600 is absolutely wonderful for classical music. I’d go 650 if you want it a little more lush, 600 if you prefer it airier and a bit more obviously detailed.

NB: My opinion is based on my experience of owning the OG 580/600/650 (all 3) for many, many years. I’m not saying the current version(s) is(are) better or worse, same or different - I have no idea either way.

YMMV, imho, just my $.02, blah, blah, blah.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #22,320 of 23,425
I personally think the hd600 were designed expressly for classical music BUT, as I have stressed many times before, as dynamic, 300 ohm cans, they are very amp dependent and I do not know your amp well enough to have an opinion one way or the other about whether or not it is a good mate for the 600. That being said, a properly amped 600 is absolutely wonderful for classical music. I’d go 650 if you want it a little more lush, 600 if you prefer it airier and a bit more obviously detailed.

NB: My opinion is based on my experience of owning the OG 580/600/650 (all 3) for many, many years. I’m not saying the current version(s) is(are) better or worse, same or different - I have no idea either way.

YMMV, imho, just my $.02, blah, blah, blah.

Enjoy!
I’d ideally like excellent separation, detail and clarity. And I’m thinking/hoping that the 600 might fit the bill. I’ve been told that the current 600 sounds just the same as the previous model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back