Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #22,186 of 23,454
But has anyone done a sound test between the old and new versions? I've looked on YouTube and can't seem to find anyone doing this comparison.
People commented here on the forums that there is no audible difference.

May 29, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #22,188 of 23,454
I think that was just because Romania is at a higher altitude than Ireland. Therefore, the peak frequency increased somewhat :D

May 29, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #22,190 of 23,454
Technically the frequency response changed from 12Hz - 39,000Hz to 12Hz - 40,500Hz in the renewal. Doubt that makes an audible difference to anyone in real life situations.

Hmm okay. I think I prefer the marble look over the new grey look. But most important is the sound so if it has not changed then that's a good thing I suspect. I have the HD6XX but I've long been curious of the HD600.

May 29, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #22,191 of 23,454
Hmm okay. I think I prefer the marble look over the new grey look. But most important is the sound so if it has not changed then that's a good thing I suspect. I have the HD6XX but I've long been curious of the HD600.
When you get a pair of the originals your XX will go up for sale :wink:

May 29, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #22,192 of 23,454
If you watch this video, you’ll learn why vintage receivers are exceptional amps for headphones. The answer begins at 1:45 of the video.

thanks but... this op-amp from the 90's up vs the resistor across the amp out of the 1965-198ish recs has been discussed here a number of times. I agree, I went through a lot of trouble in 1984 getting an op amp out of a kaput AGI 511 pre-amp to stick in a PS model IV pre-amp (so I could adjust VTA during play on my arm/cartridge). It could run AKG-240s ok but crappy compared to my roomates Pioneer SX-990.

The question isn't 50 yr old recs vs 10 yr old ones but:

OTL amps (sorry but better than Dark Voice) vs
50 yr old recs OR modern class a headphone amps running balanced costing up to 7 times the price of a new HD-600.

My hierarchy is:

1. OTL amp

2. Modern class A (sliding bias or not) running balanced (my 600's are run that way)
3. Older recs
4. Newer recs

Until proven otherwise and what is spooky is how much better my BHCs is than #2 on the 600. On my planars? Forget it. The BHCs can't do it.

May 29, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #22,193 of 23,454
thanks but... this op-amp from the 90's up vs the resistor across the amp out of the 1965-198ish recs has been discussed here a number of times. I agree, I went through a lot of trouble in 1984 getting an op amp out of a kaput AGI 511 pre-amp to stick in a PS model IV pre-amp (so I could adjust VTA during play on my arm/cartridge). It could run AKG-240s ok but crappy compared to my roomates Pioneer SX-990.

The question isn't 50 yr old recs vs 10 yr old ones but:

OTL amps (sorry but better than Dark Voice) vs
50 yr old recs OR modern class a headphone amps running balanced costing up to 7 times the price of a new HD-600.

My hierarchy is:

1. OTL amp

2. Modern class A (sliding bias or not) running balanced (my 600's are run that way)
3. Older recs
4. Newer recs

Until proven otherwise and what is spooky is how much better my BHCs is than #2 on the 600. On my planars? Forget it. The BHCs can't do it.
well I’m not as well versed as you when it comes to technical jargon but I do know that I owned, at one time one of the best OTL amps made : the Eddie Current Zana Deux S and I prefer the sound of my vintage Kenwood KA-8006, Integrated amp, 70wpc [1974]. Also, I don’t buy that balanced is better than SE. I’ve read enough about it in the Sound Science Forum and have owned and listened to both to know that there’s no difference except expectation bias. In the end it’s all about what each individual likes and/ or believes/ enjoys. I personally don’t buy into most of what’s posted on Head-fi.

To each his own is my motto, As stated before, I go by what my ears tell me and vintage receivers are as good as anything I’ve heard and owned. Maybe you should bring the points you elaborate to the Sound Science Forum and see what those guys have to say. You’d get more technical and savvy responses than from me.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #22,194 of 23,454
Huh, yeah … whatever …
I thought I've been clear. Thanks for the input - you are one of the strongest supporters of the HD-600. I've gotten some thumbs up but I do want to hear from those that have heard them on OTL vs good+ SS. There are comments in the thread on it maybe I'll pull them out and list them.

May 29, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #22,195 of 23,454
I thought I've been clear. Thanks for the input - you are one of the strongest supporters of the HD-600. I've gotten some thumbs up but I do want to hear from those that have heard them on OTL vs good+ SS. There are comments in the thread on it maybe I'll pull them out and list them.
Go for it if it’ll make you feel better.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #22,196 of 23,454
You’ve been clear with your own beliefs. You write your posts in a way that comes across as “this is the absolute Gospel”. I just disagree with most of what you claim as to being so. That’s all. I read your postings in the Sound Science from 2020 and you came across the same way there also : “the Gospel according to bagwell”. It didn’t go very well for you over there either. My basic philosophy is : whatever you like go for it. I’m not here to debate but neither will I stand being told I’m wrong just because you have different views based on your beliefs or bias. Thanks for the input.
Yeah you wouldn't discuss issues (SE vs balanced among others) before saying you were not technical. Now you you say you spend time in sound science. Hmm.

I write with the assurance of over 50 years in the hobby - in several different guises.

This time around I asked for comments from people with experience with OTL amps vs SS amps (int and rec welcome too). You repeated your faith in older recs - not answering my question at all. So why engage when you are not on topic?

Forget my words and your ego - review this thread - a solid collection of folks agree with me. Try an OTL tube amp. If it doesn't do it for your 600 you can rail against me ( what fun ! ) and if it does you can avoid mentioning it, but maybe get one and enjoy it.

Glad you are feeling better these days.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #22,197 of 23,454
Yeah you wouldn't discuss issues (SE vs balanced among others) before saying you were not technical. Now you you say you spend time in sound science. Hmm.

I write with the assurance of over 50 years in the hobby - in several different guises.

This time around I asked for comments from people with experience with OTL amps vs SS amps (int and rec welcome too). You repeated your faith in older recs - not answering my question at all. So why engage when you are nor on topic?

Forget my words and your ego - review this thread - a solid collection of folks agree with me. Try an OTL a tube amp. If it doesn't do it for your 600 you can rail against me ( what fun ! ) and if it does you can avoid mentioning it, but maybe get one and enjoy it.

Glad you are feeling better these days.
Well baggie baby, maybe someday you’ll put your ego aside and grow up a little. I read your postings in the Sound Science
Forum and the members of that forum instantly made you out and exposed you for who you are. And you call me ego driven ? I mean, talk about irony. I have no more time to waste with the likes of you. I’d rather spend time reading and responding to the adult members. Ignoring you is no loss at all since you don’t bring anything positive to the table except … “the Gospel according to bagwell”. It’s getting mundane. Try being less arrogant & condescending, it might be helpful. Bye.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #22,198 of 23,454
When you get a pair of the originals your XX will go up for sale :wink:

Yeah perhaps so. Especially when I use the 600 with the Bottlehead Crack I'll be getting.

May 30, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #22,199 of 23,454
Yeah perhaps so. Especially when I use the 600 with the Bottlehead Crack I'll be getting.
The HD6XX will gain a new lease on life, as well, from BHC (without/with ‘speedball’). You may find yourself to be a 600/6XX owner. I am & I use both.

May 30, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #22,200 of 23,454
One more added wrinkle with HD600 / HD6XX - both modded with rear foam removal, inner foam replacement, cnc-backweight installation. I prefer HD600 with copper/silver interweave headphone cable; HD6XX, with silver headphone cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back