Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #22,156 of 23,423
So looking at the FR for the HD600 it seems to have an elevated upper mid range. Any other TOTL cans that match or surpass the mid range of the HD600? Thanks.

May 17, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #22,157 of 23,423
I always like the marbled finish on the original version :wink:
I'm usually a gray/black matte finish kinda guy for most stuff, but the original navy marble finish of the HD600 is more appealing to me. If there's a choice between the HD600 original vs HD600 drivers in the frame of the current HD660S, I prefer the look of the original :grin:

May 21, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #22,158 of 23,423
I’ve reached a point in my headphone audio hobby/ journey where I listen to my music with my HD600 & HD650, 90% of the time now. My other two headphones are the AKG 701 (Austria) and the Beyer T1.1. In the past I’ve owned such headphones as the Focal Utopia, the HD800 & HD800 S, Grado PS2000e & GS3000e along w/ the GS1000i.

My amps now are the Burson HA-160 & my vintage Kenwood Integrated Amp, KA8006, 70wpc, [1974].
I’ve owned Eddie Current Zana Deux S, Headamp GS-X MKII w/ DACt & a few other very expensive amps.

I listen to CDs w/ my TEAC PD H600, probably the best CD player TEAC has ever produced. It was assembled w/ many Esoteric parts and is all aluminium. I also use a Schiit Lokius EQ and highly recommend EQing for music listening. I found the “right sound” and rarely have to adjust any of the tone controls. The music overall is rich, full and detailed. Because of reading the threads in the Sound Science Forum I’ve learned that I don’t have to spend a lot of money like I used to do to get an excellent balanced sound like I have now.

So, for me anyways, it’s become possible to achieve an elite, rich and detailed sound without spending the thousands which I did in the past. No, I can’t use measure charts (don’t understand them) & I can’t talk audio jargon to explain myself (not my thing) but I know what my ears and my mind recognize sound wise. It took me approximately 10 years, the last two or so, to convince myself that I could achieve a “great” sound without spending all that dough (mainly thanks to the Sound Science Forum). The only thing I’ve bought during this past two years is the Burson HA160 for $300 Canadian.

The point of my long winded post : The HD600 & HD650 (it’s not veiled) are just as good headphones and to my ears better than more expensive headphones I’ve owned in the past. Now I listen to music and not my audio items. This is just my opinion, it is not meant to disparage anyone else’s opinion or opposing view(s). I respect everyone’s opinion and I also do not wish to debate my position.

May 22, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #22,159 of 23,423
I’ve reached a point in my headphone audio hobby/ journey where I listen to my music with my HD600 & HD650, 90% of the time now. My other two headphones are the AKG 701 (Austria) and the Beyer T1.1. In the past I’ve owned such headphones as the Focal Utopia, the HD800 & HD800 S, Grado PS2000e & GS3000e along w/ the GS1000i.

My amps now are the Burson HA-160 & my vintage Kenwood Integrated Amp, KA8006, 70wpc, [1974].
I’ve owned Eddie Current Zana Deux S, Headamp GS-X MKII w/ DACt & a few other very expensive amps.

I listen to CDs w/ my TEAC PD H600, probably the best CD player TEAC has ever produced. It was assembled w/ many Esoteric parts and is all aluminium. I also use a Schiit Lokius EQ and highly recommend EQing for music listening. I found the “right sound” and rarely have to adjust any of the tone controls. The music overall is rich, full and detailed. Because of reading the threads in the Sound Science Forum I’ve learned that I don’t have to spend a lot of money like I used to do to get an excellent balanced sound like I have now.

So, for me anyways, it’s become possible to achieve an elite, rich and detailed sound without spending the thousands which I did in the past. No, I can’t use measure charts (don’t understand them) & I can’t talk audio jargon to explain myself (not my thing) but I know what my ears and my mind recognize sound wise. It took me approximately 10 years, the last two or so, to convince myself that I could achieve a “great” sound without spending all that dough (mainly thanks to the Sound Science Forum). The only thing I’ve bought during this past two years is the Burson HA160 for $300 Canadian.

The point of my long winded post : The HD600 & HD650 (it’s not veiled) are just as good headphones and to my ears better than more expensive headphones I’ve owned in the past. Now I listen to music and not my audio items. This is just my opinion, it is not meant to disparage anyone else’s opinion or opposing view(s). I respect everyone’s opinion and I also do not wish to debate my position.
I've beaten you in time, old friend :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It took me a mere 4 years or so to decide not to bother much with seeing if I want to replace my HD600. It will firmly be my main headphone for the foreseeable future (I've got a TH-X00 if I'm feeling like some more bass, but that's it). To me, it's not necessarily that I haven't heard headphones that I liked better (at least in the moment), but that beyond this point, I'm not spending more to enjoy my music more, I'm spending more because something's listed as a higher tier headphone, with brand power or extra prestige behind it for the extra $$$ spent. The HD600s strike that point where if I listen harder, it shows what it's capable of, but if I'm just relaxing, it still sweeps me up in its musicality.

I won't say the HD600 is the best-sounding headphone I've ever heard, but it actually also doesn't need to be.

May 22, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #22,160 of 23,423
How would you guys compare the vocals of the hd600 vs the LCD5?

May 22, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #22,161 of 23,423
May 22, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #22,162 of 23,423
I've beaten you in time, old friend :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It took me a mere 4 years or so to decide not to bother much with seeing if I want to replace my HD600. It will firmly be my main headphone for the foreseeable future (I've got a TH-X00 if I'm feeling like some more bass, but that's it). To me, it's not necessarily that I haven't heard headphones that I liked better (at least in the moment), but that beyond this point, I'm not spending more to enjoy my music more, I'm spending more because something's listed as a higher tier headphone, with brand power or extra prestige behind it for the extra $$$ spent. The HD600s strike that point where if I listen harder, it shows what it's capable of, but if I'm just relaxing, it still sweeps me up in its musicality.

I won't say the HD600 is the best-sounding headphone I've ever heard, but it actually also doesn't need to be.
The TH-X00 is IMO a disaster. Has more bass. More flabby under damped bass for sure. Probably a lesser soundstage. My worst blind headphone buy along with the HE-5SE. Get a HFM HE-6SE, HE-500, or XS if you want some bass - or get a OTL tube amp for your 600. All excellent options and sell that X00.

May 22, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #22,163 of 23,423

I haven’t been without the HD600 since 2003.

May 22, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #22,164 of 23,423
May 26, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #22,166 of 23,423
Any OTL is a good match.

May 27, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #22,167 of 23,423
Any OTL is a good match.
And the solid state integrated amps/receivers from the seventies...such as the Maranz, Sansui, Pioneer's and so on.

May 27, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #22,169 of 23,423
And the solid state integrated amps/receivers from the seventies...such as the Maranz, Sansui, Pioneer's and so on.
It's not the same. No Bryston, V281, or Ragnarok sounds as good as the BHC.

Nor a Marantz 1060 or 2260, NAD 3020, Onkyo 7022, Yamahas, Denons, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back