Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #20,206 of 23,425
I really wish this rumour would go away. I have both cables and they sound IDENTICAL.

Saying it is a rumor basically ignores other people’s impressions and experiences which is dismissive of other people’s experiences. Just because you don’t experience in your own testing doesn’t mean other people don’t experience it or that it’s all in their head. It’s hard if not impossible to prove either way sadly thus the argument never dies as it all relies on people’s hearing. That’s why cable arguments are discouraged here, both sides are often adamant that they are in the right and this leads to clashes.

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #20,207 of 23,425
Saying it is a rumor basically ignores other people’s impressions and experiences which is dismissive of other people’s experiences. Just because you don’t experience in your own testing doesn’t mean other people don’t experience it or that it’s all in their head. It’s hard if not impossible to prove either way sadly thus the argument never dies as it all relies on people’s hearing. That’s why cable arguments are discouraged here, both sides are often adamant that they are in the right and this leads to clashes.

To say that the HD650 cable makes the HD600's sound as bad as some say is ridiculous.

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #20,208 of 23,425
To say that the HD650 cable makes the HD600's sound as bad as some say is ridiculous.

At most in my experience, it was subtle but it’s been a while since I tried a HD 600 with a HD 650 cable so I’m not going to claim either way. Sometimes subtle sound changes are exaggerated. But sometimes those subtle changes can really bother someone which may be why they’re exaggerated.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #20,209 of 23,425

It's pretty easy to prove actually, measure the headphones with both cables and see if anything changes. It won't, because it's nonsense, unless the cables had wildly different impedance or resistance they wouldn't affect the frequency response of a high impedance headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #20,210 of 23,425
It's pretty easy to prove actually, measure the headphones with both cables and see if anything changes. It won't, because it's nonsense, unless the cables had wildly difference impedance or resistance they wouldn't affect the frequency response of a high impedance headphone.

That’s falling under the assumption that FR response is the only thing that influences perception of sound though. It just proves it doesn’t alter the FR response but doesn’t necessarily factor in other potential problems such as passive intermodulation.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #20,211 of 23,425
Thanks, good to know. I've already received the 650 head cushion though, and it fits perfectly fine. Which one do you prefer?

I haven't tried the 650 or the 650 pad. I'm an old-school, old-fart, purist kind of guy. I like originals :)

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #20,212 of 23,425
When I listened to a friends 600 a few weeks back, I just had to order one immediately.
I've been using it ever since, and haven't even touched the Beyers anymore.
It's great for almost all types of music, everyone should have this one in his collection :)

What would be the best upgrade for the stock cable? Or are the difference minimal?

Cable upgrades are not going to change the sound unless something was very wrong with the original cable. A nice cheap upgrade is the 650 cable since it comes with a 1/4 inch plug rather than the 3.5mm abomination that makes people think they're hearing all they can out of their 600 from their DAP or phone.

A balanced cable, any well-made balanced cable according to your style will be a nice upgrade if you have a good balanced amp.

Just because Sennheisers sound fine with average gear does not mean they don't get better and better the more clean power you throw at them.

All I can give is my subjective experience, and I noticed a big improvement in the High Frequency Detail whenever I upgraded the stock HD600 cable with the Cardass cable. I have had my HD600's since the year 2005 and use them with a modified Woo Audio WA-3 Amplifier.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #20,213 of 23,425
While I hate to add to this off-topic and endless debate, I would like to state:

Let's assume supposed cable differences are not due to simple FR measurements or even may not be measureable by any current methods. Yet people will insist they HEAR a real difference with their EARS.

This is a simple matter to test. A properly constructed double blind (hell, single blind even) AB test will show if they REALLY hear a difference or if they just think they do.

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #20,214 of 23,425
While I hate to add to this off-topic and endless debate, I would like to state:

Let's assume supposed cable differences are not due to simple FR measurements or even may not be measureable by any current methods. Yet people will insist they HEAR a real difference with their EARS.

This is a simple matter to test. A properly constructed double blind (hell, single blind even) AB test will show if they REALLY hear a difference or if they just think they do.
This is going to be an endless debate regardless of how many blind tests you try to run. My opinion is that it's all psychology. People are looking for a difference; with sound, they're almost certain to find something whether it's there or not and with a wide range of certainty/uncertainly, never 100% sure or unsure of a difference. Couple that with the fragility of audio memory and the fact that it's literally not quantitative data and that means such results can never really be proven or disproven.

Case in point: there have been many times I've listened to a song I'm quite familiar with and I'll think I'm hearing some detail or tone I didn't hear before....on the exact same IEMs with the exact same source with the exact same cables at the exact same volume within the same week.

This is one topic where we really should all agree to disagree, no arguments needed.

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #20,215 of 23,425
This is going to be an endless debate regardless of how many blind tests you try to run. My opinion is that it's all psychology. People are looking for a difference; with sound, they're almost certain to find something whether it's there or not and with a wide range of certainty/uncertainly, never 100% sure or unsure of a difference. Couple that with the fragility of audio memory and the fact that it's literally not quantitative data and that means such results can never really be proven or disproven.

Case in point: there have been many times I've listened to a song I'm quite familiar with and I'll think I'm hearing some detail or tone I didn't hear before....on the exact same IEMs with the exact same source with the exact same cables at the exact same volume within the same week.

This is one topic where we really should all agree to disagree, no arguments needed.

True, because when it comes down to the brass tacks, the only person that it really has to make a difference to is myself.
If I can hear a difference and I like it, that's all that really matters.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #20,216 of 23,425

Absolutely. And that wouldn't be complicated to organize for any serious cable manufacturer. It would be a great marketing action actually. But in the end it's of course more simple (and predictable) to let customers do the talk on this topic.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #20,217 of 23,425
Ok, this happens every so often where a thread meant for a specific item, the HD600 in this case turns into a debate on cables which goes on for many posts. This thread is about the HD600 not cables guys even if it’s the HD600 &/ or the HD650 cables that are being debated. I can see the subject being mentioned but not debated post after post. This isn’t me trying to control the thread or tell others what to talk about. It’s part of the rules and for good reason. You guys can find a few threads debating cables merit or myth in the “Sound Science” Forum.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #20,218 of 23,425
1581030637186.png

Well it's about damn time!! It only took them 23 years! :smile:

I really dig the new 2020 cosmetic refresh of the HD 600.

That 'faux granite' finish of the originals is soooooo 90's.

You just know Zack Morris would rock a pair!

zack m.jpeg

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #20,220 of 23,425
I know there are two different headband cushion designs, one for the 598/600 and one for the 650/660, but I believe there is only one set of pads available for all of them, right?

Yes, that’s correct. I just replaced the ear pads on both my HD600 & HD650 last week. Same ear pads for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back