Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #18,677 of 23,456
I reall
I wasn’t able to test on Spotify or with the HD 600 but the song does change and gets a little sharp in the vocals on the second half, though I was just using a iPhone 7 with a 250 ohm headphone. Didn’t really notice any channel shifting seemed to stay pretty much center the whole time for me. Have you tried a different source such as YouTube and see if it happens there too?
With my x2s and my hd25 everything sounds centered as well. The hd600 is the most peculiar headphone i ever had in terms of instrument placement and chanel balance because depending on the track, a main beat a main guitar or other sound can sound a little more to the left, right or center when on other headphones it always or mostly feels centered. It could be channel inbalance but i doubt it since its something that switches depending on the track and not a channel that is consistently weaker than the other. Also on mono tracks everything feels centered....its really weird. I never know what to expect.... :D

They are under warranty until match of 2018 só i havê to figure this out until the warranty expires....

Too bad this is the one and only headphone from the hd6xx line i ever tried so i cannot tell if it s ment to sound like this or not.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #18,678 of 23,456
Can someone do a Quick testei for me please?

I AM using spotify.... On the song "the girl" by city and colour on my hd600s the vocals slides sometimes a bit more to the left chanel and when it does that its rather annoying how it sounds, like badly mastered and super harsh.... Can someone please testei that just to check if its not something wrong with my pair?

Thank you :)

Hmmm, yes I did notice it... on both my HD 600 and my HE-500, though, not just on the HD 600. Sounds like that's the way it was recorded and/or mastered to my ears. I noticed it especially around the 37 second mark, the vocal slides over to the left.

EDIT: Listened also with my K701 and same thing. Kept listening and it is especially noticeable at around the 50 second mark. Kept switching back and forth between HD 600, HE-500 and K701, and they all exhibit the same vocal "sliding" to the left channel, at roughly the same level to my ears -- maybe the K701 a teeny tiny bit more noticeable than the other two, but could just be expectation bias.

Bottom line: it certainly is rather starkly noticeable on the three headphones I tested (all from Spotify), and my HD 600 didn't sound any "worse" than the other two headphones I tested.

I'll try with my X2 when I get to the office. My HD 600 are here at home so I can't do a direct comparison with the X2, though.

EDIT 2: Just listened with the X2 and I hear the shift to the left at the same parts in the track as I heard with the HD 600, HE-500 and the K701, particularly around the 50 second to 57 second marks and many times thereafter until about the 2 minute mark. I didn't listen much past that.

I also heard it on the K712 Pro and the HD 650. I couldn't detect too much of a difference in degree between any of the cans. They all seemed to reveal rather unambiguously that the vocal drifting into left of center image many times was part of the recording in the first two minutes of the song.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #18,679 of 23,456
I wasn’t able to test on Spotify or with the HD 600 but the song does change and gets a little sharp in the vocals on the second half, though I was just using a iPhone 7 with a 250 ohm headphone. Didn’t really notice any channel shifting seemed to stay pretty much center the whole time for me. Have you tried a different source such as YouTube and see if it happens there too?

Hmmm, yes I did notice it... on both my HD 600 and my HE-500, though, not just on the HD 600. Sounds like that's the way it was recorded and/or mastered to my ears. I noticed it especially around the 37 second mark, the vocal slides over to the left.

EDIT: Listened also with my K701 and same thing. Kept listening and it is especially noticeable at around the 50 second mark. Kept switching back and forth between HD 600, HE-500 and K701, and they all exhibit the same vocal "sliding" to the left channel, at roughly the same level to my ears -- maybe the K701 a teeny tiny bit more noticeable than the other two, but could just be expectation bias.

Bottom line: it certainly is rather starkly noticeable on the three headphones I tested (all from Spotify), and my HD 600 didn't sound any "worse" than the other two headphones I tested.

I'll try with my X2 when I get to the office. My HD 600 are here at home so I can't do a direct comparison with the X2, though.

EDIT 2: Just listened with the X2 and I hear the shift to the left at the same parts in the track as I heard with the HD 600, HE-500 and the K701, particularly around the 50 second to 57 second marks and many times thereafter until about the 2 minute mark. I didn't listen much past that.

I also heard it on the K712 Pro and the HD 650. I couldn't detect too much of a difference in degree between any of the cans. They all seemed to reveal rather unambiguously that the vocal drifting into left of center image many times was part of the recording in the first two minutes of the song.

Thank you very much for your time trellus. :)

On the x2s you dont notice that some sounds or beats feel a bit more centered than on the hd600s? Só you did feel not only the slight tilt to the left but also the severe harsheness on those vocals right?

If you (or other hd600 owners) dont mind and if its not asking to much of course, can i gather a list of spotify tracks (about 5 or 10) and desribe what i found odd about them on the hd600 so you can check if you hear the same things and the same placement on your 600s as well?

Just to make sure they sound as they should and that i dont need to send them for warranty repair.

I AM working right now só i also will only be able to pick the tracks in about 9/10 hours...

Thank you for all once again. :)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #18,680 of 23,456
Hi,

On the x2s you dont notice that some sounds or beats feel a bit more centered than on the hd600s? Só you did feel not only the slight tilt to the left but also the severe harsheness on those vocals right?

If you (or other hd600 owners) dont mind and if its not asking to much of course, can i gather a list of spotify tracks (about 5 or 10) and desribe what i found odd about them on the hd600 so you can check if you hear the same things and the same placement on your 600s as well?

Just to make sure they sound as they should and that i dont need to send them for warranty repair.

I AM working right now só i also will only be able to pick the tracks in about 9/10 hours...

Hi, I dont have Spotify but I listened to the song from youtube, I didn't heard anything unusual on 37 second mark.

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #18,681 of 23,456
Hi,

Hi, I dont have Spotify but I listened to the song from youtube, I didn't heard anything unusual on 37 second mark.

It's much more pronounced starting at around the 50 second mark -- didn't realize that until I had written my initial impressions.

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #18,682 of 23,456

• I wasn't listening to the X2's and the HD 600 in the same location, unfortunately, but just from my recollection, I didn't hear a significant difference in the presentation of the image.
  • The vocals seem kind of rough/raw in general from the recording, on all the headphones I listened, although perhaps my ears aren't as sensitive as yours as I wouldn't describe them as severely harsh.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #18,683 of 23,456
@Pedro Oliveira, @trellis, the vocals do drift to the left at 37sec and a bit more at 50sec on my HD650 and Nhoord Red V2 build. The song is decent on the HD650 but its a bit harsh with the Nhoord (which is my replacement for the HD600) which has a similar tone to the HD600 but is very easy to drive, has better bass and lacks the treble peak of the HD600.

Nov 7, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #18,685 of 23,456
ended up clicking on song, then halfway through an album (if i should go before you) ... thanks :D

though i have a beyer on lol
Glad you liked it.... i like city and colour. There are new bands with this kind of new age blues rock/metal sound like this guys, royal blood, the blue stones that sound very cool and fresh. I like them a lot.... love "weightless", one of my city and colour favs.... :)

@Pedro Oliveira, @trellis, the vocals do drift to the left at 37sec and a bit more at 50sec on my HD650 and Nhoord Red V2 build. The song is decent on the HD650 but its a bit harsh with the Nhoord (which is my replacement for the HD600) which has a similar tone to the HD600 but is very easy to drive, has better bass and lacks the treble peak of the HD600.

Thank you very much for checking this David.... :) just want to make sure nothing is wrong wigh this unit. I never heard a placement like the one one the hd600. Usually on headphones everything is mostly centered but on the hd600 every track percussion or voicing placement is a surprise.... :D

I am going ti pick a few tracks on spotify that feel weirder in terms of placement and if you guys have time and patience, check them and my descriptions to see if you hear the same on your hd600s...

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #18,686 of 23,456
Hi!,
I recently bought a 10 years old HD600 in bad shape but functionnal. I replaced the earpads and bought a new cable. While doing some clean-up I remove the drivers and noticed they are identified by print as :
16 05 07 hd 580 makro.

I did my search within this thread and found that HD580 and HD600 are the same drivers, etc...the story ... etc .. https://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/ but

I am wondering if on your drivers of HD600 it is written hd 600 or hd 580?? I would believe with the 580 production stopped the identification on the driver would have changed also.

Nov 8, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #18,687 of 23,456
I haven't listened to the new HD660s, but I sort of get the impression that it is kind of a disappointment.
The perfect Sennheiser HD6xx series headphone would be one with the overall neutrality of the HD600, with slightly reduced 3.5khz, linear bass extension and lower distortion to 20-30 hz, more dynamics, slam, a wider soundstage, and more detail resolution, especially on top.
A person can dream :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #18,688 of 23,456
I haven't listened to the new HD660s, but I sort of get the impression that it is kind of a disappointment.
The perfect Sennheiser HD6xx series headphone would be one with the overall neutrality of the HD600, with slightly reduced 3.5khz, linear bass extension and lower distortion to 20-30 hz, more dynamics, slam, a wider soundstage, and more detail resolution, especially on top.
Well it's not meant to replace the HD600, so I wouldn't call it a disappointment. Suppose to be an improvement on the HD650 and that's the headphone it will replace.

Nov 8, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #18,689 of 23,456
According to some though, it's really questionable if it is actually even an improvement over the HD650.
And measurements, and some opinions I have seen so far on it aren't that impressive either, for example, the bass distortion is no better than HD650, and actually worse than HD600, and no improvement in subbass extension, a slight ringing at 5khz on CSD plots, etc.
And some say it doesn't scale as well as HD600/650, and sounds harsher.
Most say it's almost a sonic duplicate of the HD600, for more portable use, which ain't bad.
I just thought after so many years of research and development, that the HD660s might surpass both the HD650 and HD600 by a fairly wide margin in their weakest areas.
Would have been interesting to see an HD6xx series with a ring radiator type driver, or a sophisticated conventional driver.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #18,690 of 23,456

Other than the neutrality of the HD600 it seems to me that the 660S has ticked off every other box you have there.
You are honestly describing almost verbatim the changes that have been made with the 660S from what I've read from other reviews.
I'll know for sure in 2 days, regardless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back