Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #18,226 of 23,482
Ethernet cable standards are a good example of cable design making a difference in terms of performance(transfer speed of data). I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned before.
because erroneous logic doesn't change how the analog audio band absolutely doesn't care for a hundred megahertz speed. but the playback system might care for stuff that an ethernet cable may not offer depending on the desired use. like proper diameter for some passive speakers. or that little thingy called impedance. my ethernet cable is given at 100ohm for 100meters, not exactly passive speaker or headphone cable material IMO.

TBH I too had those "brilliant while dunk" kind of ideas when I started looking into the electrical characteristics of wires. but one day you sober up(for some it takes an entire life time) and realize there is a reason why different cable standards exist for different cable uses.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #18,227 of 23,482
because erroneous logic doesn't change how the analog audio band absolutely doesn't care for a hundred megahertz speed. but the playback system might care for stuff that an ethernet cable may not offer depending on the desired use. like proper diameter for some passive speakers. or that little thingy called impedance. my ethernet cable is given at 100ohm for 100meters, not exactly passive speaker or headphone cable material IMO.

TBH I too had those "brilliant while dunk" kind of ideas when I started looking into the electrical characteristics of wires. but one day you sober up(for some it takes an entire life time) and realize there is a reason why different cable standards exist for different cable uses.

This was lovely to read!

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #18,228 of 23,482
Thanks for the advices guys, appriciate it.

I think I'll just keep it. Not worth the hassle for both parties. Beside it's all about the sound and comfort, which I find to have nothing wrong with, after all.

The difference between the HD600 and my old Philips X2 is so intermediate. Everthing is more intimate and brighter. I love it. I may just stop here and call it the end game...for heaphones. Still need better amp than my fx audio dac x6 to power it though.

May 2, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #18,230 of 23,482

Wow - you are slipping. Took you too long to respond to this one. You must have had to think about it :ksc75smile:

My assertion that transient response is improved by higher speed cable stands and is measurable using my scope. The audible difference is not subtle. It almost slaps you in the face when you listen with revealing speakers (LS3/5As in my case).

In addition, many times if an electrical component has trouble passing a transient ringing is induced at the rise or fall point. This ringing can be in the audible spectrum. I have measured this also with speaker wire.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #18,231 of 23,482
how do I make a spoiler thing? this is clearly off topic guys sorry.

Wow - you are slipping. Took you too long to respond to this one. You must have had to think about it :ksc75smile:

My assertion that transient response is improved by higher speed cable stands and is measurable using my scope. The audible difference is not subtle. It almost slaps you in the face when you listen with revealing speakers (LS3/5As in my case).

In addition, many times if an electrical component has trouble passing a transient ringing is induced at the rise or fall point. This ringing can be in the audible spectrum. I have measured this also with speaker wire.
I was lost in the new forum ^_^.
1/ improving transient response measurably with something that low passes less the signal is a fact. I have no issue with that.
but if it made a clear audible difference to have more or less of the ultrasound transient component, then high res vs cd would make an even bigger audible difference. and yet, such tests are far from a slap in the face despite CD removing a lot more of the transient response than any typical speaker cable or headphone cable. so you understand my problem here.

2/ you say you get audible difference from using an ethernet cable on your speakers. well I trust you on that one without evidence as it is perfectly possible, even likely in fact. now is the sound difference due to the cable doing less roll off in the ultrasound(being "faster")? that's where my spider skepticism starts tingling as several variables are changed due to switching the cable, not just speed. and 1/ (or common sense really) suggest the really high speeds involved don't really matter audibly anyway.
if I had to bet I'd go for impedance change+crossover as being the main cause of sound change. but some measurements would be necessary to do more than guessing.

May 2, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #18,232 of 23,482
how do I make a spoiler thing? this is clearly off topic guys sorry.

I was lost in the new forum ^_^.
1/ improving transient response measurably with something that low passes less the signal is a fact. I have no issue with that.
but if it made a clear audible difference to have more or less of the ultrasound transient component, then high res vs cd would make an even bigger audible difference. and yet, such tests are far from a slap in the face despite CD removing a lot more of the transient response than any typical speaker cable or headphone cable. so you understand my problem here.

2/ you say you get audible difference from using an ethernet cable on your speakers. well I trust you on that one without evidence as it is perfectly possible, even likely in fact. now is the sound difference due to the cable doing less roll off in the ultrasound(being "faster")? that's where my spider skepticism starts tingling as several variables are changed due to switching the cable, not just speed. and 1/ (or common sense really) suggest the really high speeds involved don't really matter audibly anyway.
if I had to bet I'd go for impedance change+crossover as being the main cause of sound change. but some measurements would be necessary to do more than guessing.

1.) I and many people in the audio community think CDs sound horrible. I am not alone here. Flawed format and to my ears harsh sounding. Not sure this is a good example to support your position.

2.) I hear a difference and have tried to be diligent and look at the signals with my scope to verify there are differences between off the shelf crappy speaker cable and the CAT5, and there are. In addition, I designed a pair of speakers a few years back that use Linkwitz/Riley filters (4th order) that benefit from time alignment thus having a better chance of passing transients than the LS3/5As. They really show a big difference in the cables (better with CAT5). I do like testing with the latter though, as the KEF tweeters don't roll off until about 40KHZ and would be free from the impact of the butter-worth filter at that point. If there is interaction between the inaudible spectrum and the audible spectrum from the wider frequency response these tweeters may (and I think do to my ears) show this. Was KEF just stupid to make a tweeter with this kind of wide response or is it possible they know something?

May 2, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #18,233 of 23,482
I think that MP3 vs CDs are a big difference actually!

Finding my favorite music in HDtracks and such has proven to be quite a challenge so for the moment I can only listen to music in flac either ripped directly or bought as flac, but I would be curious to hear the music I already know in HDtracks

This being said, to remain in line with HD600 thread, I do think that some cables will change the sound although I also think that HD600 sounds quite good with the stock cables. Curious how they sound with upgraded cables though!

May 4, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #18,234 of 23,482
I think that MP3 vs CDs are a big difference actually!

Finding my favorite music in HDtracks and such has proven to be quite a challenge so for the moment I can only listen to music in flac either ripped directly or bought as flac, but I would be curious to hear the music I already know in HDtracks

This being said, to remain in line with HD600 thread, I do think that some cables will change the sound although I also think that HD600 sounds quite good with the stock cables. Curious how they sound with upgraded cables though!

Totally happy with the HD600 cable. No plans to change mine.

May 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #18,235 of 23,482
Not a fan of the new forum layout... I can't search what I want here. But anyways, what's the general opinion of aftermarket pads for the HD600's? There are pads that cost $20, and then there's the official pads that cost $60. Considering that the HD600 earpads have to be replaced every other year (as suggested), $60 a year seems like a hefty maintenance cost. My current pads already have a nice groove in the center and I'm pretty sure there's some sound alterations due to the thinner pads.

(again, I apologize for not using the search function, but there isn't really one anymore)

May 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #18,236 of 23,482
Not a fan of the new forum layout... I can't search what I want here. But anyways, what's the general opinion of aftermarket pads for the HD600's? There are pads that cost $20, and then there's the official pads that cost $60. Considering that the HD600 earpads have to be replaced every other year (as suggested), $60 a year seems like a hefty maintenance cost. My current pads already have a nice groove in the center and I'm pretty sure there's some sound alterations due to the thinner pads.

(again, I apologize for not using the search function, but there isn't really one anymore)

You shouldn't worry about asking a question, this is fully natural!

I also am curious about the answer to this question since I'm actually experimenting with different pads right now.

May 10, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #18,237 of 23,482
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252418559281...6c45e1d7e5f&bu=43038556444&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Those were the earpads I ordered recently. I'd have to say that these pads are slightly stiffer than the original pads. Original HD600 pads are finger tingly soft, these ebay pads are definitely softer than hd598 pads though.
I noticed sound became a bit smoother, maybe slightly more muffled. This could possibly be that the thicker pads soften the 3khz peak, but at the same time upper mids are slightly more laid back. Bass punch is also softer. Treble sparkle is less apparent as well. Soundstage also has less depth front/back wise, width is still the same.

These pads also have a slight D shape to them, where the front end is flatter than the back, might be due to the thicker nature of them.

Do I remember what HD600's sound like with fresh new OEM pads? No, I'm the second owner of the HD600's so I don't have a reference unfortunately.

I'm going to hand-wash the OEM pads and hope they magically come back to life.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #18,238 of 23,482
Recently had an opportunity to listen to Hifiman 400i and EditionX.
Though EditionX was shining, its price shades its light. But the 400i is almost horrible. Very small soundstage and very bad separation.
Sorry I didn't get an opportunity to compare 600 with EditionX. Is there anyone has any idea?

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #18,239 of 23,482
Recently had an opportunity to listen to Hifiman 400i and EditionX.
Though EditionX was shining, its price shades its light. But the 400i is almost horrible. Very small soundstage and very bad separation.
Sorry I didn't get an opportunity to compare 600 with EditionX. Is there anyone has any idea?

You are in the HD600 thread tho...

What Edition X, made by whom?

And 400i , you mean the ones made by hifiman ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back