Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,636 of 23,499
Does amazon accept returns? If so, if I don't like it I can return it.
Quote:
i think u wont go wrong with the hd600....the mids are definitely more forward vs the d2000...since u said u are looking for forward mids.
The bite on the asgard will add more grit to the sound of the hd600...at the moment my hybrid LYR is doing great on the hd600. i like a little tubey organic flavor to my music.

hd600 is never unexciting...it will faithfully play u the music that u have. u can add silver rca cables if u need more sparkle in your setup..
just tune it further to suit your taste.

What do you mean when you say the asgard adds grit? I don't know what grit means lol

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,637 of 23,499
fact is comparatively the denon has recessed mids that daniel doesnt want...
i had d2000 and d7000 now, i dun mind the recess mids per se..cos i think thats just another way to listen to an orchestra..
maybe further back..vs sitting upfront listening to the foot pedals. :p
denons are definitely exciting. ..the rumble on the bass...omgggg...crazy good...err..great.
the highs...never sibilant on mysetup..i think my tubes took off abit on the highshrills.

i wish daniel will live thru both these great cans...
its a path a headcan addict should pass thru..hehehehe

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,638 of 23,499
Quote:
fact is comparatively the denon has recessed mids that daniel doesnt want...
i had d2000 and d7000 now, i dun mind the recess mids per se..cos i think thats just another way to listen to an orchestra..
maybe further back..vs sitting upfront listening to the foot pedals. :p
denons are definitely exciting. ..the rumble on the bass...omgggg...crazy good...err..great.
the highs...never sibilant on mysetup..i think my tubes took off abit on the highshrills.

i wish daniel will live thru both these great cans...
its a path a headcan addict should pass thru..hehehehe

I see... When you said the asgard adds grit, does that mean it will kind of take off the smoothness of the highs and overall sound?

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,641 of 23,499
the asgard has got great attack on the notes...adds a kind of bite..or aggressiveness to the music imho.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #1,643 of 23,499
Putting Yokohama tires on a Volkswagen won't turn it into a Ferrari.

The Asgard and HD600 are both very true to the source with the only noticeable, although very slight, change is a little high end roll off.

If you feed this combo forward and ear gashing treble, that's what you'll get. Feed it smooth and natural music, and that's what you'll get. It is an extremely true, yet enjoyable and natural, rendition of the source material.

well, I enjoy forward mids and smooth treble. I enjoy aggresive and exciting sounds but I still want the treble to be smooth. Do you think the asgard will take the smoothness out of the treble?

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,644 of 23,499
buy the can first...listen to it...then decide on the next pc of gear.
if u decide to get the asgard...and it turns out too aggressive..
then add a pair of copper rca cables to tone it down.

but if i were u..i would look for a hybrid amp...
i had the hifiman ef5 and currently the LYR..
both had given me power and tube flavor at the same time..
v gratifying.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,645 of 23,499
Quote:
buy the can first...listen to it...then decide on the next pc of gear.
if u decide to get the asgard...and it turns out too aggressive..
then add a pair of copper rca cables to tone it down.

but if i were u..i would look for a hybrid amp...
i had the hifiman ef5 and currently the LYR..
both had given me power and tube flavor at the same time..
v gratifying.

what copper cable should I buy if its too aggressive? (I don't understand about cables). By hybrid amp do you mean an amp+dac in one? In this case, do you think the NFB12.1 would be a good match for the hd600?

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,646 of 23,499
At this stage of the game, where you're asking people to describe the sounds of headphones and amps, you are not ready to play the cable game.

Cables have only very subtle differences, if any, and are used to fine tune more expensive gear. If you are considering the Asgard and the 12.1, using high end cables is the Yokohama tires on the Jetta.

what copper cable should I buy if its too aggressive? (I don't understand about cables). By hybrid amp do you mean an amp+dac in one? In this case, do you think the NFB12.1 would be a good match for the hd600?

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,647 of 23,499
Quote:
At this stage of the game, where you're asking people to describe the sounds of headphones and amps, you are not ready to play the cable game.
Cables have only very subtle differences, if any, and are used to fine tune more expensive gear. If you are considering the Asgard and the 12.1, using high end cables is the Yokohama tires on the Jetta.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I should invest money in something more useful than cables

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,648 of 23,499
Quote:
thakns for the advice :) Im looking for an open headphone so I would stick with the hd600. I just wish I could try it out though. Some people say the hd600 doesn't sound that "fun", do you agree with that or do you find its sound signature fun and exciting?

Everyone has their own words to describe what they hear. I find the HD 600 a very enjoyable headphone with pretty much whatever I feed it. The recordings you listen to can play a big part in how "fun" you experience the sound coming from the HD 600 to be. If you're considering the HD 600, I'd say go for it and then forget about the headphone and just enjoy the music, but that's if I gave advice. 
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,649 of 23,499
Quote:

Hi Daniel
Like the others have said - forget about the cables.

Re the hybrid amp - it simply means a solid-style and tube mix.  Tubes for a little tonality (usually in the preamp) and a solid state backend for extra power.

Re the NFB-12 - it's actually a really good dac/amp for the money - and IMO pairs really well with the HD600.  Will also drive anything up to 600 ohm in case you want to expand your headphone repertoire at a later date.  It's purely solid state - but has nice body/dynamics.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #1,650 of 23,499
Quote:

[size=large] Tube Amps[/size]

[size=medium] Traditionally tube amplifiers will give you a distorted to warm fat sound. They usually have much more punch than the other types of amplifiers. Tube amplifiers are also more expensive to maintain and can be somewhat problematic. Tubes are getting hard to find these days. Especially USA made tubes. The Ampeg SVT is an example of a powerhouse tube amplifier. Older Fender amps like the Bassman are tube amps.[/size]

[size=large] Solid State Amps[/size]

[size=medium] Solid state, meaning no tubes, amplifiers will give you a bright almost tinny sound and more of an artificial sounding bottom end. The solid state also gives you a very clean sound. These amplifiers are generally more reliable and are less expensive getting them back out of the repair shop. Solid state amps include Peavy and Galleon Kruger.[/size]

[size=large] Hybrid Amps[/size]

[size=medium] The typical hybrid amplifiers will have a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amplifier. This gives you the warm sound of the tube amplifiers and the clean crispiness of the solid state amplifiers. The hybrids can give you the more versatility than the other types of amplifiers.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] ==================================================================[/size]
[size=medium] i copied the above from some sites...hope it explains simply those terms. :p[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] nah cables are great fun...u will get to it sooner or later...its not yokohama...i play with hankook tyres.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back