Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #16,366 of 23,456

Thanks.  In case it wasn't clear from my OP, I recently bought the new HD800S and think it will be my 'forever' headphone.  I'm just looking for ways to EQ my HD600 to sound a little more like the 800S so that going between the two headphones isn't such a stark contrast.

Try this on a parametric EQ

-  3 dB peak centered at 100Hz (Q=1)
-  3 dB peak centered at 3300Hz (Q=2)
+ 4 dB high shelf at 8000Hz (Q=1)

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #16,367 of 23,456

Using the Parametric EQ (add-in) in USBAPP
I do the below for the bottom end. I like to bring up the Sub Bass.
  • I put a low shelf at 80 Hz and at between +3 and +6 dB (as per taste), Q=1
  • Also a Bell (Bandpass) Filter at 30 Hz, +2dB, Q=0.85
The other two settings, 3.3 kHz and the high shelf look good.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #16,368 of 23,456

The low shelf at 80 Hz will surely work for an even warmer presentation, but it will push the HD600 even farther away from the flatter HD800/S

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #16,369 of 23,456

I've just tried the following combination in Audirvana using the parametric EQ:
+ 4 dB high shelf at 10000Hz (Q=1) (it wouldn't let me do 8000Hz)
+ 3dB low shelf at 80Hz (Q=1).

Very pleased with the results, thanks chaps!  I recently lost some HF sensitivity after illness.  A bad cold / chest infection which led to fluid build up in my inner ear.  The fluid has gone now (I think), but I can only hear up to 12.5kHz which I'm gutted about because I'm only 30 (last time checked I could hear up to 15kHz).  

The above settings have brought some much needed crispness/extension back whilst taking some of the forwardness of the mids away too.  I'm also impressed with the new bass extension, I didn't realise how much was missing before!  

I also tried to replicate the settings using the 31-band Graphic EQ instead, using THIS graph as a guide to how much to boost/cut.  These are the settings I came up with (see below), but the resulting sound wasn't as good as your parametric suggestions.  The Graphic EQ sounded too extreme by comparison (treble too aggressive).  Do you think this is because my boosts/cuts were too strong, or does Graphic EQ naturally have a stronger effect than Parametric EQ?

20Hz = +3dB
25Hz = +2.5dB
31.5Hz = +2dB
40Hz = +1.5dB
50Hz = +1dB
63Hz = +0.5dB
80Hz = 0dB
100Hz = -1dB
125Hz = -1dB
160Hz = -1dB
200Hz = -1dB
250Hz = -1dB
315Hz = -1dB
400Hz = 0dB
500Hz = 0dB
630Hz = 0dB
800Hz = 0dB
1.0kHz = 0dB
1.2kHz = 0dB
1.6kHz = 0dB
2.0kHz = 0dB
2.5kHz = -1dB
3.1kHz = -2dB
4kHz = -3dB
5kHz = +1dB
6.3kHz = +2dB
8kHz = +1dB
10kHz = +2dB
12kHz = +2dB
16kHz = 0dB
20kHz = +2dB

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #16,370 of 23,456

The low shelf at 80 Hz will surely work for an even warmer presentation, but it will push the HD600 even farther away from the flatter HD800/S

Perhaps I'm letting my personal preferences for extending the sub bass into play, especially with the extra bandpass filter. I'm not a fan of U or V shaped FRs that push back mids. Why do some people call that kind of FR fun?

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #16,371 of 23,456
  I'm not a fan of U or V shaped FRs that push back mids. Why do some people call that kind of FR fun?

I've never understood that, either. I guess it's a preference thing. Personally, the midrange is always the thing that captivates me. When my daily driver was my DT880, I EQ'ed the lower- and mid-treble spikes out, after which the midrange was the thing that stood out. Being able to turn up the volume a bit and have the vocals or strings resonate in my head without treble bite was (and is) my definition of "fun". Conversely, the M50, a headphone often referred to as "fun" sounding, literally left me staring at a wall waiting for something to pull me into the music.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #16,372 of 23,456

I've never understood that, either. I guess it's a preference thing. Personally, the midrange is always the thing that captivates me. When my daily driver was my DT880, I EQ'ed the lower- and mid-treble spikes out, after which the midrange was the thing that stood out. Being able to turn up the volume a bit and have the vocals or strings resonate in my head without treble bite was (and is) my definition of "fun". Conversely, the M50, a headphone often referred to as "fun" sounding, literally left me staring at a wall waiting for something to pull me into the music.

In addition I found that the recessed mids of that "fun" curve has a bad affect on the timbre of many instruments, like a saxophone, etc.. The exaggerated treble makes cymbals and similar percussion instruments sound weird. Although the HD600's response is a bit off above 10 kHz, it does a superb overall job of making things sound just right. Heck, although my hearing above 10 kHz is still pretty good I can no longer get to 20 kHz and I'm not going to sob over that as that train has left the station.
Edit: Also many of those type of cans have an exaggerated buy crappy bass where one cannot tell the pitch of each bass note, very bad.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #16,373 of 23,456
  Perhaps I'm letting my personal preferences for extending the sub bass into play, especially with the extra bandpass filter. I'm not a fan of U or V shaped FRs that push back mids. Why do some people call that kind of FR fun?

Ditto, I did this with the HD600 (and pretty much all open back headphones) as I like to help the sub bass along gently, and sensibly. I also do not like to step the midrange back and avoid doing so as much as possible.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #16,374 of 23,456
Fun for me is ideally added bass but nothing else, though maybe a slight boost in mids now that I think more about it. V-shape is fine with me, but it's harsher because emphasized bass and emphasized treble are clashing characteristics. Not to mention that it is a little less engaging to have a recessed midrange.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #16,376 of 23,456
  Fun for me is ideally added bass but nothing else, though maybe a slight boost in mids now that I think more about it. V-shape is fine with me, but it's harsher because emphasized bass and emphasized treble are clashing characteristics. Not to mention that it is a little less engaging to have a recessed midrange.

I kind of like a flat neutral FR and the dogleg the Sub Bass up for a boost. To me this compensates for the lack of body feel for bass that one experiences with speakers or live music. The thing is I need a headphone that doesn't mush the notes so one a=cannot make out the melodic content of the bass. The HD600 can rise to the occasion. My Hifiman Orthos do a great job of it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #16,377 of 23,456
  I be curious if the reverse were possible, EQing an HD800 (S or original) to give it a nice bloomy HD600 signature.

Well, I believe you have an HD800S, so give it a try and let us know how it works out. Have you used a Parametric EQ and understand how it works? If not I think it's worth learning. I don't think EQ is the magic bullet for crappy headphones or IEMs but an tool to use with good cans to further the experience.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #16,378 of 23,456
  Well, I believe you have an HD800S, so give it a try and let us know how it works out. Have you used a Parametric EQ and understand how it works? If not I think it's worth learning. I don't think EQ is the magic bullet for crappy headphones or IEMs but an tool to use with good cans to further the experience.

EQ doesn't seem to work too well with crappy gear or at least that's how I feel. It's simply because you just end up emphasizing or bringing out the right frequency ranges, but since it's still the same quality, it doesn't really help; kinda just evens out the compromise of sound signature vs. sound quality.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #16,379 of 23,456

EQ doesn't seem to work too well with crappy gear or at least that's how I feel. It's simply because you just end up emphasizing or bringing out the right frequency ranges, but since it's still the same quality, it doesn't really help; kinda just evens out the compromise of sound signature vs. sound quality.

Yep, I remember that I once bought a pair of inexpensive IEMs ($70 USD) based upon a positive nod by the projectionist at CNET. It has terrible sibilance that I tuned out by notching it using EQ, The sibilance was gone, the IEMs sucked anyway. That pair now sits in my junk drawer. So, "You can beat a dead horse, but you can't make it get up and drink."
My HD600 responded well to having its Sub Bass boosted by some EQ.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #16,380 of 23,456
I have a question. Anyone has Garage Horizon? Is it a pure tube amplifier? If it is, I wonder can an tube amplifier only use a small tube to get enough power?
Moreover, Anyone can give some comment for it compared with Valhalla 2? Especially soundstage.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back