Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #16,351 of 23,425

Certainly a possibility.  I am running off the speaker taps on the Fisher 460A and the HD600 sounds pretty good there - but still not quite as good as the 7506 via the HP jacks on the Pioneer and HK.

It's also possible that the neutral signature of the HD600 doesn't appeal to you. Some people prefer more bass and or sub bass, others more treble and so on. If it sounds good on the speaker taps of the Fisher, it' worth further investigation. Good luck on the quest, I really like my HD600, I tend to boost the sub bass with some EQ.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #16,352 of 23,425
  It's also possible that the neutral signature of the HD600 doesn't appeal to you. Some people prefer more bass and or sub bass, others more treble and so on. If it sounds good on the speaker taps of the Fisher, it' worth further investigation. Good luck on the quest, I really like my HD600, I tend to boost the sub bass with some EQ.

Thanks - appreciate the input.  Will report back when I know more.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #16,353 of 23,425
Joined the club today. Safe to say I've reached endgame, I am enjoying my music like never before. Nothing more I can say that hasn't already been said, I love them down to the last bit. I'm mad that I waited to try these out for so long 
angry_face.gif

Using them with a Magni 2 Uber so far but am very interested in building the crack w/speed ball and exploring tube rolling in the future.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #16,354 of 23,425
  Joined the club today. Safe to say I've reached endgame, I am enjoying my music like never before. Nothing more I can say that hasn't already been said, I love them down to the last bit. I'm mad that I waited to try these out for so long 
angry_face.gif

A lot of people end up here or with an HD 650. I feel like the past six years of my music listening life would have been much improved if I'd bitten the bullet right at the start and gotten an HD 600.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #16,357 of 23,425
  I think I reached endgame with HD600 too...I just love the sound

No such thing as endgame, eventually we grow used to a sound signature and crave a new signature. You'll eventually find a new love, but until then you will love the 600. It is an amazing headphone, and as was said above, I wish I had tried it earlier on in my headphone days. I could see myself buying it again, it is just so solid top to bottom, really well done signature. In my experience, it is a very strong price to performance headphone, much like the DT 880.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #16,358 of 23,425
angry_face.gif

Using them with a Magni 2 Uber so far but am very interested in building the crack w/speed ball and exploring tube rolling in the future.

Lucky you, and to your wallet also.

I think I reached endgame with HD600 too...I just love the sound

Another congrats to finding your end game.

Hope both of you will remember these posts in a few months, if they still hold true you both are rare souls in this hobby.

@Sonic Defender, hope the HD800S is doing a great job of filling in for all of the other headphones you have gone through, I would have a really hard time with only 2-3 headphones, I like the variety of different headphones too much.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #16,359 of 23,425

A lot of people end up here or with an HD 650. I feel like the past six years of my music listening life would have been much improved if I'd bitten the bullet right at the start and gotten an HD 600.

Several headphones later, I came to the same conclusion.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #16,360 of 23,425
  Lucky you, and to your wallet also.

Another congrats to finding your end game.

Hope both of you will remember these posts in a few months, if they still hold true you both are rare souls in this hobby.

@Sonic Defender, hope the HD800S is doing a great job of filling in for all of the other headphones you have gone through, I would have a really hard time with only 2-3 headphones, I like the variety of different headphones too much.

Thank you haha, we shall see. I was afraid of buying them because I've heard that they are "boring/sterile" but that is not my experience at all. What a beautiful and engaging sound. I think if anyone's musically inclined and plays an instrument they will appreciate it even more since it does a fantastic job of reproducing natural sound like in real life.

This is one of the first songs I listened to with them:

I was taken aback by how realistic the violins were.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #16,361 of 23,425
@Rhenoware
, As a former musican (elementary school to college played trumpet, ukulele and guitar, school band and during high school played in a rock band with friends) you might want to audition a ypsilon or nhoord driver build, these look like the higher end RS series Grado but are much more balanced sounding.  Best thing is they are so easy to drive properly, my simple Fiio X3 does as good a job as my desktop system and they can sound very good out of even a phone.  I've built one of each and have ordered parts to build a second ypsilon since my GF likes it so much and a friend who bought my HD-600 (she just traded the 600 for a HE-560) also wants one, she thinks the HD-600 is dull and lifeless compared to the ypsilon driver.
Here are a few pictures of what they look like:

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #16,362 of 23,425
Forgive me I'm late the party and cannot face reading all 1091 pages of this thread, so my question may have already been asked numerous times, but does anyone have EQ settings to make the HD600 sound more like the HD800 or HD800S?  I've been an HD600 devotee for the last six years, but the recent arrival of my HD800S has opened my eyes to a new world of grain-free clarity and extension, which makes going back to my HD600 quite an underwhelming experience.  Of course I'm not expecting EQ to work miracles, but if I can narrow the gap a little then I'll be happy.  I'm a Mac user and have access to the AU plugins available in Audirvana+, the easiest of which to use is the 31-band graphic EQ.  So if anyone has 31-band EQ settings for their HD600 then please share!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #16,363 of 23,425
@DavidA I will look into it but so far I'm just loving my 600 the more I listen to it. I feel I can listen to it hours on end with this level of comfort and supremely non fatiguing sound.

I'll keep an eye out for them. How similar are they to the higher end Grados? At the next Austin TX meetup there seems to be a few of those.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #16,364 of 23,425
  Forgive me I'm late the party and cannot face reading all 1091 pages of this thread, so my question may have already been asked numerous times, but does anyone have EQ settings to make the HD600 sound more like the HD800 or HD800S?  I've been an HD600 devotee for the last six years, but the recent arrival of my HD800S has opened my eyes to a new world of grain-free clarity and extension, which makes going back to my HD600 quite an underwhelming experience.  Of course I'm not expecting EQ to work miracles, but if I can narrow the gap a little then I'll be happy.  I'm a Mac user and have access to the AU plugins available in Audirvana+, the easiest of which to use is the 31-band graphic EQ.  So if anyone has 31-band EQ settings for their HD600 then please share!
smily_headphones1.gif

Very different sound signatures. It takes a lot of EQing to make HD600 sound like HD800. You can bring down the mid-bass a bit, and add a few dBs over 5kHz, but they are pretty much opposite headphones, and that much of EQing is not healthy from a SQ perspective most of the times.

DT880 is much closer to HD800.
Green Trace: HD800 - Pink Trace: DT880 Pro

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #16,365 of 23,425

Very different sound signatures. It takes a lot of EQing to make HD600 sound like HD800. You can bring down the mid-bass a bit, and add a few dBs over 5kHz, but they are pretty much opposite headphones, and that much of EQing is not healthy from a SQ perspective most of the times.

DT880 is much closer to HD800.
Green Trace: HD800 - Pink Trace: DT880 Pro

Thanks.  In case it wasn't clear from my OP, I recently bought the new HD800S and think it will be my 'forever' headphone.  I'm just looking for ways to EQ my HD600 to sound a little more like the 800S so that going between the two headphones isn't such a stark contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back