Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #15,483 of 23,462
  In a world of objectivists and subjectivists, you might say that I'm an audio minimalist--that is, I like to get the best sound I can for the least money possible, using the smallest number of actual components to get it. That's why I like the HD600 so much--it sounds great to me for everything I play through it, and I don't need some exotic, super expensive equipment to get that sound.

It's a sound way to approach audio, though I've given up trying to be a moderating influence on people on Head-Fi; people will do as they do, and trying to convince them otherwise when they don't want to be convinced is fairly pointless.

I totally agree that the HD600 and some other headphones in this price class are a great middle ground, not too expensive, good sound quality. Improvements in sound quality from this point on tend to rise exponentially in price, though the actual sound quality may only rise incrementally, and will often just slide sideways (different sound signature, for instance).

Personally, I went a step further than the HD600 (well into the land of diminishing returns) and got a HD800, though I still feel I would've been happy with a HD600 as well. I don't buy multiple headphones, though, I carefully pick one, and then just stick with it. I've tried separate amping as well, but to my ears that seems mostly for flavour, and doesn't really add to the sound quality much, if anything.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #15,484 of 23,462
It's a sound way to approach audio, though I've given up trying to be a moderating influence on people on Head-Fi; people will do as they do, and trying to convince them otherwise when they don't want to be convinced is fairly pointless.

I totally agree that the HD600 and some other headphones in this price class are a great middle ground, not too expensive, good sound quality. Improvements in sound quality from this point on tend to rise exponentially in price, though the actual sound quality may only rise incrementally, and will often just slide sideways (different sound signature, for instance).

Personally, I went a step further than the HD600 (well into the land of diminishing returns) and got a HD800, though I still feel I would've been happy with a HD600 as well. I don't buy multiple headphones, though, I carefully pick one, and then just stick with it. I've tried separate amping as well, but to my ears that seems mostly for flavour, and doesn't really add to the sound quality much, if anything.

Just out of interest. "Separate amount" are you running them straight from a laptop?

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #15,485 of 23,462
Just out of interest. "Separate amount" are you running them straight from a laptop?

Separate amping you mean? Then no, I either run them directly from my iBasso DX90, or from the headphone out of my NAD speaker amp, which is connected to the digital out of my PC (normally used for my speakers). Between the two I can detect no difference in detail, though there is a slight difference in sound signature, which I suspect is from the different DAC chips in the NAD and the DX90 (or different tuning thereof).

I've tried a portable headphone amp (Vorzuge Pure 2) as well, but that mostly just got me a slight emphasis on the high mids. Which may have given the impression of greater detail in those high mids, but that could easily have been an effect of the emphasis. I returned it mostly because it gave me a splitting headache to listen to (literally, I may have discovered in this way that I'm sensitive to a very specific frequency area), and also because it was quite expensive, not neutral, and just didn't bring any significant improvement in sound quality.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #15,486 of 23,462

It's good to avoid the marketing trap. I believe that once you have a quality DAC and or amp, easy enough to find, the story about scaling is more about marketing than appreciable sound benefits. IMO belief is a scary tool for marketing and forums. I believe that headphones are where you'll set the stage for your listening experience.

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #15,487 of 23,462
  Actually, the label is a part of what I believe is called a gimbal. 

But I only want to replace the label.
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #15,488 of 23,462
I am impressed with the Valhalla 2. One word that comes to mind when thinking about the Valhalla 2 with the HD600 is effortless. @Argyris definition of perfection comes to mind: I dont think i could take away anything from this pairing, and hell, cant even think of something I would add. 

Buuut... I did some switching between the Valhalla 2 and the Magni 2 uber and the difference was not huge. Probably tighter bass and definitely smoother, less fatiguing sound with, interestingly, more detail in the highs (i love cymbals!). I only compared one part of a song because I had to come to work, but, we will see. Now I am wondering if my initial feelings were confirmation bias, because I really had to try. 

I left the Valhalla 2 on, because someone said the tubes need burn in.  

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #15,489 of 23,462

But I only want to replace the label.
frown.gif

E-mail Sennheiser and ask, but you may not be able to do so. The labels may be sprayed on during manufacturing. Are you sure it is a sticker and not paint?

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #15,491 of 23,462

Definitely not sticker.

I didn't think so. That means that the logo is applied likely when the gimbal is manufactured which sadly seems to imply you need to buy the whole thing. However, I wonder if you could somehow remove what is there, and get a decent stencil made and paint the logo back on yourself? I know it is a little crazy of an idea, but it seems like it should be plausible. I wonder if Sennheiser would send you all the information you need to make it work such as the font used, colour of paint, type of paint, that type of thing. I suspect that is unlikely, but you never know, no harm in asking right?

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #15,492 of 23,462
  I am impressed with the Valhalla 2. One word that comes to mind when thinking about the Valhalla 2 with the HD600 is effortless. @Argyris definition of perfection comes to mind: I dont think i could take away anything from this pairing, and hell, cant even think of something I would add. 

Buuut... I did some switching between the Valhalla 2 and the Magni 2 uber and the difference was not huge. Probably tighter bass and definitely smoother, less fatiguing sound with, interestingly, more detail in the highs (i love cymbals!). I only compared one part of a song because I had to come to work, but, we will see. Now I am wondering if my initial feelings were confirmation bias, because I really had to try. 

I left the Valhalla 2 on, because someone said the tubes need burn in.  

When you do comparison, make sure V2 has been turned on for at least 20 minutes. I don't have Magni 2, but from what I have, I think the difference is mainly soundstage. OTLs have larger soundstage.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #15,493 of 23,462
  Really enjoying the HD 600, but comfort is the worst of any headphone I own, and may be the worst of any headphone I have owned. Too much clamping force and the pads are not particularly comfortable. It isn't terrible, but I have to adjust these frequently and I couldn't see being able to wear these for more than an hour at a time. In that sense I'm disappointed, but I suspect the comfort can be improved, and or I'll become more used to the clamping pressure.

Bend the metal sliders a little, I used to get headaches with both the HD-600 and 650 when they were new.  The weight is not much of a issue since they are fairly light but as I've noted before, after 4-5 hours the weight becomes noticeable and its one reason I went to the SennGrado/Ypsilon driver since its 1/2 the weight.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #15,494 of 23,462
When you do comparison, make sure V2 has been turned on for at least 20 minutes. I don't have Magni 2, but from what I have, I think the difference is mainly soundstage. OTLs have larger soundstage.

I am currently listening to "A mis abuelos" by Arturo Sandoval and I can tell you NO, the differwnce is more than soundstage, but soundstage is the most obvious thing where the valhalla 2 crushes the magnu 2 uber. But mostly all soundsare more real. The struggle that ive heard with the magni was evident with "A mis abuelos", but was so loud and absolutely clear with the V2. Sandoval's trumpet also sounds magnificent with the V2, just as a live trumpet, and there is a difference with the magni, in which i hear the trumpet a littlethin and definitely shouty.

What I am loving so far is how easily the HD600 is handling conplex passages. That didn't happen with the magni. I do tknow yet, but my search mightbe over... although i do have a "scientific" interest in conparing more equipment :wink:

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #15,495 of 23,462

How does an OTL amp manage to have a larger soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back