Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #15,451 of 23,418
  I hope the treble spike doesn't bother you like with the TH-600, and can't wait to hear what you think about the 339/600 combo.

There were a few times already where I could tell it was a little spiked in places, but it didn't seem to bother me, but maybe over time it might. If so I would likely just EQ the spike down a hair and hope that works. As well, because like you I listen to more than one headphone I tend to spread the listening sessions out so that also limits how much exposure to the spike I will have.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #15,452 of 23,418
  I also have an HD600 in my collection and it's one of my favorites, at the top end of the list. It's a lot easier to drive than many people make it out to be. It's pretty comfortable, well it's a lot lighter than my planar magnetic/ortho cans.
You'll enjoy them for a long time, I suspect that you might not ever part with them.

I already can tell that as a signature it is a pretty solid one. I have never kept a headphone before, but you never know, if I find a signature that is just so in tune with my hearing and preferences, I just may keep it. The HD 600 certainly does seem to have that potential, but only time will tell.

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #15,453 of 23,418
Hey Sonic....
If you are open to EQ'ing.....here's some good info.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/797907/hd600-my-custom-bass-extension-curves

_gl's curve 4 worked very well for me...did not alter it at all with the exception of a 2db drop around 1500 for personal taste.  

Bern

Quote:
  I already can tell that as a signature it is a pretty solid one. I have never kept a headphone before, but you never know, if I find a signature that is just so in tune with my hearing and preferences, I just may keep it. The HD 600 certainly does seem to have that potential, but only time will tell.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #15,454 of 23,418
Aug 3, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #15,456 of 23,418

Hi Bern, I just finished reading the entire thread, very informative, actually a little overload for me as I really have only gently used parametric EQs to do small cuts (I never boost although I'm sure with knowledge some boosting is fine). My real issue is that music listening time is at a premium for me so given the choice between learning something like this, and just listening, I just listen. Still, I think this information is very good and I will actually try this.

So my question for you, as a JRiver Media Center user, do you know if these curves can even be utilized? I suspect it would just be a matter of finding a plugin that works, but again, that is an area I typically have stayed away from in the past, but you have peaked my curiosity.

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #15,457 of 23,418
Hey Sonic....
If you are open to EQ'ing.....here's some good info.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/797907/hd600-my-custom-bass-extension-curves

_gl's curve 4 worked very well for me...did not alter it at all with the exception of a 2db drop around 1500 for personal taste.  

Bern

I use a parametric EQ to push up the sub bass as well. In Android I'll use Neutron MP. I use the Low Shelf and a narrow bandpass to work below 100 Hz as not to affect the midbass or clobber the mids and above. Sounds awesome and for me compensates for the lack of body feel that is a consequence of headphone use. The HD600 responds well to this.
I'm not pleased by U and V shaped curves that some people call "fun" or by some other term as it destroys the mids.

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #15,458 of 23,418
  I use a parametric EQ to push up the sub bass as well. In Android I'll use Neutron MP. I use the Low Shelf and a narrow bandpass to work below 100 Hz as not to affect the midbass or clobber the mids and above. Sounds awesome and for me compensates for the lack of body feel that is a consequence of headphone use. The HD600 responds well to this.
I'm not pleased by U and V shaped curves that some people call "fun" or by some other term as it destroys the mids.

Did you get a chance to read the thread? As this is out of my area of comfort I can only say that it sounds like the curves were intended to restore the lower bass frequencies in a non-destructive process while leaving the frequency response characteristics as close to flat as possible. So how I interpreted the information is that the other frequencies were not effected by this technique. Now I have no ability to know if this is correct or not, but I will say that the driver of that thread really seems to care about leaving things alone and attempted to create a very clean correction. If that is possible, or if he managed to do so I have no idea.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #15,460 of 23,418
I've used it with many amps, however, I like SS amps and tend to use an Asgard 2 the most. I'm in the school that good amps sound better than humans can tell any difference as technology has long passed by our limited senses. Perhaps you're looking for a sound profile that the HD600 does not fulfill. What is it that you hear that displeases you? Do you need more sub bass?

Not really. I think the bassis more than enough most of the times. I was listening to some classical and the violins sounded flat, lifeless, as if they were being reproduced by a small bluetooth speaker. Ofcourse, that waswith a few songs. What concerns me a little is that i was comparing tk my cheap behringer mixer and init thw violins sounded marvelous.

You can read about my findings and impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/816197

I willreceive the Valhalla 2 later today. Im excited!!

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #15,461 of 23,418

Did you get a chance to read the thread? As this is out of my area of comfort I can only say that it sounds like the curves were intended to restore the lower bass frequencies in a non-destructive process while leaving the frequency response characteristics as close to flat as possible. So how I interpreted the information is that the other frequencies were not effected by this technique. Now I have no ability to know if this is correct or not, but I will say that the driver of that thread really seems to care about leaving things alone and attempted to create a very clean correction. If that is possible, or if he managed to do so I have no idea.

Yes I read that thread and it's pretty much what I do, except I push the sub bass a bit more. You can do similar with a good multiband EQ by raising some of the sliders that are below 100 Hz. This is not as good or exacting as a parametric EQ. Don't be put off by the technical stuff, read up a bit and experiment, it's not like you're going to launch a missile by mistake, Go for it.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #15,462 of 23,418
Hopefully someone will jump in and answer....you should all ready be able to add the convolution file to JRiver.  (I stii use iTunes..:frowning2:  ...used EqualizerAPO/Peace and used the values on _gl's chart).  But if I understand things correctly ...you should just be able to add the file and go.  I ended up loving the results.

Bern

Quote:
  Hi Bern, I just finished reading the entire thread, very informative, actually a little overload for me as I really have only gently used parametric EQs to do small cuts (I never boost although I'm sure with knowledge some boosting is fine). My real issue is that music listening time is at a premium for me so given the choice between learning something like this, and just listening, I just listen. Still, I think this information is very good and I will actually try this.

So my question for you, as a JRiver Media Center user, do you know if these curves can even be utilized? I suspect it would just be a matter of finding a plugin that works, but again, that is an area I typically have stayed away from in the past, but you have peaked my curiosity.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #15,463 of 23,418
Not really. I think the bassis more than enough most of the times. I was listening to some classical and the violins sounded flat, lifeless, as if they were being reproduced by a small bluetooth speaker. Ofcourse, that waswith a few songs. What concerns me a little is that i was comparing tk my cheap behringer mixer and init thw violins sounded marvelous.

You can read about my findings and impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/816197

I willreceive the Valhalla 2 later today. Im excited!!

I listen to a lot of electric jazz and fusion music so boosting the sub bass appeals to me. I think classical music sounds very good with the HD600 as it's a very neutral headphone that reproduces music accurately. What do you mean by the violins sounding thin? Lack of Mids? The HD600 excels at that. Something else?

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #15,464 of 23,418
I listen to a lot of electric jazz and fusion music so boosting the sub bass appeals to me. I think classical music sounds very good with the HD600 as it's a very neutral headphone that reproduces music accurately. What do you mean by the violins sounding thin? Lack of Mids? The HD600 excels at that. Something else?

Please check the thread in the link. Iam sure it is the amp, because usong the mixer the violins were different. Thebad news is thateven when in the mixer the violins sounder very nice, the rest of the sounds were... "crowded" with no definition.

I can rememberthe song. I will check my notes later. Now im in my lunchbreak.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #15,465 of 23,418

With what are you driving your HD600?  I have the magni 2 uber and even though they are nice, I do feel some things are lacking, but still dont know what is the weak link in my chain. Currently playing from my computer to the modi 2 uber, FLAC and 320kbps mp3s. 

I power my HD 600 with an Eddie Current Zana Deux Super. My profile looks like this:

iMac -> Schiit Wird -> Schiit Gungnir Multibit -> Eddie Current ZDS

I also have a Sennheiser HDVD 800. I enjoy the HD 600 on both amps and find that there is a significant difference in sound between the two. I think the HD 600 is an excellent headphone and it scales really well with different DACs and amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back