1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
  1. ZoNtO

I posted those Headroom graphs above. Point is that the HD650's bass hump looks to be from the driver, not the enclosure, etc.

2. Brooko Contributor

If you go back to the post and recheck - he took two different measurements - one with the HD600 in capsule, the other with the HD650 driver in the same capsule.  It was just to show the actual drivers are different.  We already know the capsules are also (according to Sennheiser anyway).

3. yangian

I can only say different people have different listening experience.
    On the other and, I also read someone said the present 650 are very different from the early 650 and they are quite different before. So maybe you have an early version.

4. Bob A (SD)
    If you thought the HD600 vs HD650 capsule graph above is interesting, have a peak at this one (from BillP) which throws in the HD580 head to head with the HD600 and HD650:

Z2sYmPG.jpg

5. Me x3
    I had both in the past, but I've only measured the HD650 at that time.
    I've found the HD650 to be more resolving with a bit smoother upper midrange.
    Both were definitely mid-bassy to me.

HD650 appeared more open and cleaner overall, but not as focused as HD600.
    HD600 rendered vocals very well, that's its strongest point in my book.

Both are similarly good in the big scheme of things.
    Slightly different flavours of the same sound: mid-bassy kind of warmth, linear midrange and softened treble.

6. yangian
    What do you guys think about this:
    http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd650-600-and-580-updated-drivers/

7. Argyris Contributor

I expect what you're hearing is the slight upper midrange lift in the HD 600 around 3.5 kHz. I can hear it as well, though it doesn't really bother me, and I don't personally feel like it throws off the timbre too much. That said, it's something I noticed right away when I first tried my HD 600 (using my traditional, infallible test track, Traffic's rendition of "John Barleycorn"), though this is perhaps more because my other headphones have less energy in this region. I quickly adjusted to it, and I'm only faintly aware of it now. Individual taste of course is going to be a factor--yet another feather in the cap of the argument for the existence of both the HD 600 and the HD 650.

8. DavidA
    I'm one of those that the small spike at 3.5-4 KHz is sometime bothersome, couldn't figure out why for the longest time until someone said just try EQ correction at that frequency, problem when away, it was strange since the HD700/800 and other brighter headphones never bothered me, its because their spikes are at different (higher) frequencies.

9. Arttt
    just got a pair of hd600 at the same time as i got hifiman he560, and i end up listen to hd600 all zzzzzzz time )))  if i start to think about the sound, he560 is a superior  headphone and does stuff better, i won't go into details ...

but there is something that makes me wanna listen to hd600 more and more  ö.Ö

hmmm anyone tried hd600 with sennheiser amp?

10. yangian

Agree! 600s are not perfect, but very enjoyable!

11. UtopiaB

Thanks for posting this, very interesting. This is the first test of seen of these two headphones together. However, I must say, it looks rather different than the other graphs posted in this thread recently, and as such, sort of has me scratching my head, because the bass looks nigh on identical between the 600 and 650, and we know that's not the case in real life. Now just speculating, but if that spectrum analyzer happens to be a very recent test, and is accurate, then there might be a chance that Senny was aware of users' mild displeasure about the slight deficiency in the bass from the 600, and decided to rectify it, but i'm just guessing.

12. koven Contributor
    hi guys, anyone go from magni 2 uber to a WA6/WA7? thinking about making this jump w/ the hd600, would assume its a noticeable upgrade but maybe someone can comment if they've took this path

13. Midgetguy
    I've got an HE560 in my stable too.....and I also listen to the HD600 more [​IMG]. Technically, yes the HE560 is superior, but it doesn't quite have the same ring to it. The tonality of the HD600 is just so sweet for me.

I wouldn't be able to say outright if it's an upgrade or not, really depends on preference. It's also hard to say because we're at the apples/oranges comparison level here: Magni 2 is a SS amp and WA6/7 is a tube amp. Inherently, they have different properties. It'll get a bit smoother and be little bit warmer going from Magni to WA6/7 based on what I've read/know about tube amps.

14. TheEldestBoy
    I'm posting this here because it relates directly to the HD600, and I'm hoping that some of you who know this headphone so well can provide some guidance:

I listen to my music at relatively low volumes (I have a bit of sound sensitivity and my ears get fatigued quicker than the average listener).

From what I've read, the HiFiMan 400s has a more present & less laid-back bottom-end (with the hifiman focus pads or the brainwavz pads) than the HD600/650. It also seems like the 400s will have more presence/sparkle in the high-end as well.

So... I'm wondering if the 400s might be better at lower volumes?

In other words, do the HD600/650s need to be listened to at louder volumes in order for the bass and treble to really make themselves audible/present. Can I get the same audibility/presence from the 400s at a lower volume?

I appreciate that some of you cannot offer a comparison to the 400S, but I'd still love to here your thoughts on just the HD600 as it relates to this question.

15. PinkyPowers
    To me the HD600 sounds full at any volume, assuming you've got a good amp.