Sennheiser HD 600 Cable
Sep 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

artcore

New Head-Fier
Hello.

After some people here in the forum recommended the Nuforce Icon HDP, ive decided to finally get one. :wink:

My concern now is, that the original cable which came with the HD 600 might not be sufficient enough to get the best audio performance with the Icon HDP.

What do you think?

Is the boxed cable good enough or do i have to replace it with a "Blue Dragon" cable for example?

so long

Nicola

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 10
If you do want to try one, see if they have a good return policy. I think Headroom gives you a 30 day trial on even cables.

I made two cables for my HD-600 and HD-650 for under $30 each. Each one sounded different than stock.
I have my doubts if a $300 cable sounds better than a $30 cable. I don't even think I could force myself to buy one.
With an expensive cable you're most likely paying for a huge markup on labor. I'd rather make it myself.

HD-600/650 stock cables are not that good, but not terrible. Even cheap Mogami IS an upgrade from stock.

I'd suggest starting out cheap and try it with your own ears.

I suggest $1.50 per foot Mogami
normal_smile%20.gif

Making an HD-600 cable isn't too difficult. I just had to learn how to solder first! Too bad the connectors are $20 each.

BTW most people upgrade the HD-600 cable to the HD-650 version ($12 from Sennheiser). I prefer the HD-600 stock cable. The 650 cable adds in some treble, bass and improves the soundstage.
The mids are better on the HD-600 cable. Probably had that impression due to the 650 cable adding in bass/treble.

If you want to try one, start cheap! People here such as Zombie_X can make you one.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 10
I have stumbled upon this at my local supplier of choice here in China (here is the UK listing):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-HD525-HD565-Headphone-upgra-Cable-HIFI-CABLE-NEW-/120776194502?_trksid=p2835.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D390349038031%26ps%3D63

Clearly this is a no-name product, but appears to be an improvement on the stock HD600 cable at a sensible price. Does anyone have experience of this cable?

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 10
I have just ordered the cable (ZY-005) and will post again when I have had a chance to listen to it in detail. At the Chinese price of RMB360 (about GBP 36), it has to be worth a try.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 10
Have just received the cable and have been listening for about 1 hour. Results as follows:

(i) There is a noticeable difference, which is not subtle.
(ii) Clarity and soundstaging have improved significantly, this alone making the purchase worthwhile.
(iii) However, low bass currently sounds a little "wooly" and indistinct - I'm hoping that further burn-in may tighten this up. It may be that this failing was there all along, and the improvements elsewhere in the sonic spectrum have highlighted it.

It should be borne in mind that this is a cable costing about GBP 36!

Re. build quality, I would describe it as "good DIY" rather than "slick and professional". The jack plug is a 1/4" Neutrik. The Y-connectors appear to be a locally-made design. Seems solid enough though.

On balance I would say yes, it is worth it, and I won't be going back to the stock cable. Biggest improvement is the much wider soundstage! I am currently enjoying an older CBS (reissued on Sony) recording of Messiaen's "Et Expecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum" conducted by Boulez - here soundstage and dynamics are everything...

Current setup (although this changes from time to time):

WAV files via QLS QA350 Mod. V2 / digital (coaxial) out via Choseal TB-5208 / Little Dot DAC_1 (sharp filter) / VdH D102 Mk. III / Little Dot Mk III (Mullard CV4010 driver valves) / Sennheiser HD600 (ZY-005 cable)

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 10
Have just received the cable and have been listening for about 1 hour. Results as follows:

(ii) Clarity and soundstaging have improved significantly, this alone making the purchase worthwhile.
(iii) However, low bass currently sounds a little "wooly" and indistinct - I'm hoping that further burn-in may tighten this up. It may be that this failing was there all along, and the improvements elsewhere in the sonic spectrum have highlighted it.

Re. build quality, I would describe it as "good DIY" rather than "slick and professional". The jack plug is a 1/4" Neutrik. The Y-connectors appear to be a locally-made design. Seems solid enough though.

On balance I would say yes, it is worth it, and I won't be going back to the stock cable. Biggest improvement is the much wider soundstage! I am currently enjoying an older CBS (reissued on Sony) recording of Messiaen's "Et Expecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum" conducted by Boulez - here soundstage and dynamics are everything...

WAV files via QLS QA350 Mod. V2 / digital (coaxial) out via Choseal TB-5208 / Little Dot DAC_1 (sharp filter) / VdH D102 Mk. III / Little Dot Mk III (Mullard CV4010 driver valves) / Sennheiser HD600 (ZY-005 cable)

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 10

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back