Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Aug 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #886 of 1,133
Some of the qualities I've found first are: 

1. The sound. The most important factor in a headphone. No pink paint gloss, sponsorships, or any of that non-sense. It is a very clean sounding headphone that produces bass and all other frequencies very well. No sibilance at high levels of play. Running this out of a Xone 92, the sound that comes out is pure sultry warmth. 

2. The fit. They fit snug without cutting off circulation. I can be sensitive to headband pressure, and these have just the right amount for a dj. I am using the velour pads as they are way more comfortable as well as more breathable. They have some memory foam qualities to them. 

3. The build. They are solid. Just like the HD25, these are tanks. They are heavier, but for what it is worth, it is purely for function. The ear cups can swivel if you need, and they click with assertion. Build and stability is a very important quality for a dj. DJ's can sometimes be careless with headphones after mixing songs together and may not always place the headband around the neck. 

4. The accessories. The cables, the extra pads, the case, etc...alot of companies are throwing additional accessories as well, but it's quality material. It's always nice to have the little things included.

5. The warranty and brand. 2 year warranty. Built by Sennheiser, known for making high-quality headphones and having excellent customer service. Everything Sennheiser I've owned has lived up to it's standards. 

For me the only drawbacks are: The length of the straight cable. Very long and almost impractical. No DJ would ever use this. I've also experienced occasional clipping at maxed out levels with my xone92. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #887 of 1,133
Great sound indeed.  Very clean, good tightness, admittedly colorful, well-textured, and surprisingly punchy bass for not being very bass-heavy.  I notice that looks quite different from the other closed-back headphones Sennheiser makes on the inside, maybe that is why it is so thumpy.  Clear vocals that are never too upfront (unless they are supposed to be) or seem like they are trying to stay away from you as if you had the black plague.  Cymbals don't come out dull or sizzling and hissing like angry rattlesnakes.

"Pink paint gloss"?

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #889 of 1,133
Hey fellas! Are hd 8 dj bass distort on high wolume levels, when something like 6db bass boost + fiio e12 bass boost applied? I ask this, because my sennheiser hd 598 bass distort like crazy on high wolume levels, even whitout eq and bass boost from fiio e12. Clearly not designed for anything with bass... Very disappointing purchase:frowning2:.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #890 of 1,133
Yes, it can distort with VERY high volume levels/SPL. Almost all headphones can if you push them enough. I listen to music very loud at times and have noticed clipping only when my levels are in the RED. (This is a no-no if you are a dj, however, I was doing it for testing purposes.) The HD8 sounds very good for a dj headphone. Probably the best DJ headphone I've used, ever. Sometimes increasing bass quantity/volume actually reduces impact and quality. HD598 isn't meant to be listened to with high SPL, the HD8 is a dj headphone and should do a better job regardless. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #891 of 1,133
You applied any eq or bass boost? Or it distorting even whitout eq? That is importing for me because hd 598 distorting, then any stronger bass is present. In movies, in games, especially on sub bass frequency. That just make me sick:frowning2:. Even on like 90db whitout eq it distort. Can you get like 100db whitout bass distorting? Very big thanks, I want those ******* sexy lokin hd 8 dj:)

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #892 of 1,133
No distortion even with a curve like this:

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #894 of 1,133
Sep 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #895 of 1,133

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #896 of 1,133
I've had my HD8 DJs since release day in the UK and when I got them they were squeaky - I thought it was because they were new but they've only got squeakier (the hinge on earcups), now to the point where it interferes with the music. Even with the slightest head movement it squeaks. I've tried WD40 and no luck. I've tried contacting sennheiser 5 times now, and they always say they'll ring me back and never do. I emailed the retailer last week and no response.

Anyone else suffering with this problem? 

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #898 of 1,133
I've got a squeaky HD8 as well, I've tried tightening the screws on the cup forks, but none of my hex keys fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back