Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Aug 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #871 of 1,133
Aug 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #873 of 1,133
Aug 17, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #875 of 1,133
Hi guys.... sorry to bother but i have been trying to find a replacement for the over ear momentums.... i loved the sound on those but unfortunately i had problems with the fit and the confort....

Right now i have a amperior and a hd25-1 II but i was thinking of the hd8 dj as a replacement for my recently sold pair of momentums....

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

I mostly listen to indie, pop, rock and edm.... i can get a pair of hd8 dj's for 200 euros....

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #876 of 1,133
  Hi guys.... sorry to bother but i have been trying to find a replacement for the over ear momentums.... i loved the sound on those but unfortunately i had problems with the fit and the confort....

Right now i have a amperior and a hd25-1 II but i was thinking of the hd8 dj as a replacement for my recently sold pair of momentums....

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

I mostly listen to indie, pop, rock and edm.... i can get a pair of hd8 dj's for 200 euros....

NAD Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Pro, HD7DJ, HD8DJ. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #878 of 1,133

NAD Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Pro, HD7DJ, HD8DJ. 

How do the over ear momentums and the hd8 compare?

I have only demoed the Momentums but they momentums are more comfortable for me because they don't have a high clamping force like these do. Comfort is hit or miss since it varies from person to person. HD7DJ is just really bassy and smaller soundstage. They cannot do a wide range of genres, imo. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #879 of 1,133
 How do the over ear momentums and the hd8 compare?

I own both the over ear Momentums and HD7 DJ.   I like both headphones for different reasons. Over ear Momentums are comfortable, relaxed portable headphones that sound good with all genres.  HD7 DJ, I found comfortable and I use it for DJ purposes as they need amplification and you will need to buy an aftermarket cable specific to them to make them portable.  The HD7 DJ for me doesn't really shine without amplification and is too dull and low with just an IPhone or IPad.  I think the HD7 DJ sounds good for many genres but I prefer the Momentums for Classical or New Age.

I also own a Samsung Galaxy S4 for work and I rarely use that to listen to music as I find the headphone output so-so without an amplifier or preferably a dac/amp (even with the aftermarket apps).  

Are you against on-ear?  Have you tried Onkyo ES HF300? It's an on ear and it sounds great.  Also, since you are in the price range, I highly recommend the Sony MDR 7520.  It is a closed back over ear (larger than the Momentum but not huge).  It is a very comfortable monitoring headphone that sounds great with every genre (better than the HD DJ series), only 24 Ohms impedance and takes any aftermarket cable so you aren't stuck with trying to find a special cable.  It sounds great from any source.  Doesn't fold as it wasn't really designed for portable use but the headphones are not big and hug the head.  

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #881 of 1,133
 For on ear i already have a hd25 and i am about to receive a amperior. Over ear would be my next goal.... Momentums didnt work due to the fit.... Loved the sound though.... :'(

Sorry, My post wasn't clear.  The Onkyo's are on ear.  The Sony MDR 7520 are over ear.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #882 of 1,133
  I own both the over ear Momentums and HD7 DJ.   I like both headphones for different reasons. Over ear Momentums are comfortable, relaxed portable headphones that sound good with all genres.  HD7 DJ, I found comfortable and I use it for DJ purposes as they need amplification and you will need to buy an aftermarket cable specific to them to make them portable.  The HD7 DJ for me doesn't really shine without amplification and is too dull and low with just an IPhone or IPad.  I think the HD7 DJ sounds good for many genres but I prefer the Momentums for Classical or New Age.

I also own a Samsung Galaxy S4 for work and I rarely use that to listen to music as I find the headphone output so-so without an amplifier or preferably a dac/amp (even with the aftermarket apps).  

Are you against on-ear?  Have you tried Onkyo ES HF300? It's an on ear and it sounds great.  Also, since you are in the price range, I highly recommend the Sony MDR 7520.  It is a closed back over ear (larger than the Momentum but not huge).  It is a very comfortable monitoring headphone that sounds great with every genre (better than the HD DJ series), only 24 Ohms impedance and takes any aftermarket cable so you aren't stuck with trying to find a special cable.  It sounds great from any source.  Doesn't fold as it wasn't really designed for portable use but the headphones are not big and hug the head.  

I have both the HD8 and the MDR7520. I have to say, the 7520 has so much better sound quality vs the HD8, and I love my HD8. Check out the 7520 forum/post for more details. For DJ use, the HD8 is king. For listening and everything else....the 7520 is where it is at. I was the first to mod mine with alpha dog pads, and I have to say, it is the cats meow ATM.

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #883 of 1,133
 For listening and everything else....the 7520 is where it is at. I was the first to mod mine with alpha dog pads, and I have to say, it is the cats meow ATM

Agreed 10000%!    I listen with stock pad which are very, very comfy.  Haven't tried Alpha Dog pads.  Where did you post the mod? In the MDR 7520 thread?

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #884 of 1,133
  Agreed 10000%!    I listen with stock pad which are very, very comfy.  Haven't tried Alpha Dog pads.  Where did you post the mod? In the MDR 7520 thread?

Yes, I don't want to derail the HD8 thread, however just to answer your question I posted in the 7520 thread. The HD8 is a great DJ headphone, the best I have ever used. People have been asking me to post pics up of the mod, and I will in the 7520 thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back