Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #2,281 of 7,535
Quote:

Here is my latest eq for the Graphic Equalizer DSP for Foobar 2k. The small lift above 5k gives a bit of crispness. I also tried the Crossfeed DSP and that seems to give a bit more depth after a while.

I will just give the HD600s back and enjoy the HD598s

Yeah. I have found out my combo Odac->C421 2227 -> HD598 makes the treble too laid back and near my ears but the vocal is little far and your EQ low down the treble. It is better than my normal settings and I can hear vocal more than I used to be. Thanks. It is better if you can upload your EQ settings.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #2,282 of 7,535
Quote:

Just the glued on cushion bit.  The actual cracking issue is still not there.  To be honest it really isn't that bad.  Think I'll take time this weekend, and just e-mail the US branch.  See what they can do to help me. 

Same here had them a few years and the glue is starting to come apart a bit.   Still no cracks etc either.  :)

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #2,283 of 7,535

I compared the equalized HD598 with the the HD600s last night and they seem pretty close tonally.
But hey what do I know - you may disagree.
Mid 50s. Nothing above 12k. Mild tinnitus (the sensitivity is down and the gain is up for high frequencies). I could be trying to compensate for my dodgy hearing!

HideousPride -  these guys can help with cables:
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd598-replacement-lead-3m.html

They can cut the cable to length and fit the connector you want.

I just cut off the 1/4" jack plug and fitted a 3.5mm jack plug knowing I could get a replacement if I screwed up.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,284 of 7,535
LoveKnight can you change your output opamp(s) to NMJ4556A ? The spec is not great but at low gains they really deliver into low impedance loads. 

They are used in the the O2 in parallel pairs but you do not need so much drive for HD598s so singles will do.

For me they also delivered the cleanest sound, out of all the opamps I tried, when driving 5m phono cables from pre to power amp.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #2,287 of 7,535
Lord Voldemort, your comment about losing high end hearing and becoming tolerant  to bright headphones may not be entirely correct. In my experience as I get older I get less tolerant of high sound levels at rock concerts. Where the sound engineer thinks that 100 dB is comfortable, for me the sound is overlaid  with painful  distortion and clicks as my brain hits the limiters! Hearing becomes very critical in the range approaching the new cutoff and I find myself sensitive to extra treble around 4-6 kHz, One of the main reasons for buying my HD598s was to avoid shrieking treble.

Something to look forward to.....

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #2,288 of 7,535
When you have some hearing loss recruitment can come in play. With recruitment louder sounds becomes too loud too soon. When you loose some sensitivity in the highs for example the db pain level does not increase for that frequency and therefor your dynamic range is lower and treble peaks can  become too [size=11pt]piercing.[/size]

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #2,289 of 7,535
I think I may have found the headphones' sweet spot.  Jon Lord's Sarabande.  Beautiful fusion of classical and other stuff.  Truly brings these headphones out. 

Heh... the more I listen to them the more I wonder just how much of an improvement the 650s are over the 598.  

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #2,290 of 7,535
I think I may have found the headphones' sweet spot.  Jon Lord's Sarabande.  Beautiful fusion of classical and other stuff.  Truly brings these headphones out. 

Heh... the more I listen to them the more I wonder just how much of an improvement the 650s are over the 598.  

Better level of refinement, more solid bass, more transparent, more precise and transparent imaging, but smaller soundstage, not nearly as airy sounding, not as comfortable, lower volume, heavier weight.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2,291 of 7,535
HD558 (grill, foam, lining modded)/ MS1i (modded L-cush w/steampunk makeover)

@streetdragon

Can you post a pic of your phones?  I am dying to see a steampunk makeover...

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,292 of 7,535
Quote:

@streetdragon

Can you post a pic of your phones?  I am dying to see a steampunk makeover...

There you go
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back