Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #2,221 of 7,535
Have a read:
Source: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/825485-my-review-sennheiser-hd-598-a.html

My Review Of The Sennheiser HD 598

I just plugged my new Sennheiser HD 598 headphones into my USB soundcard. I will just write here about my first impressions of the sound and start right now.

Moby - Flying Foxes (192 kbp/s)

At the start I hear very clearly that Moby or the sound engineer used a bit to much the denoiser on the drums and the rest of the sounds. With other headphones of a lower price this never got captured by the sonical awareness of my ears and around 04:50 I hear a few crackles, one after another, on a very low frequency. I suddenly hear things that probably a person who paid money for this song should not hear and I say this now because I hear all kind of things that you don´t hear with headphones of a lower price or quality. 

This song sounds on the HD 598 not bad, just more clearly or better, everything sounds almost to clearly, but this is a good thing, because when you are mixing your music or music of others, you really are able to zoom with a very high resolution into the sound of music. I am aware of the fact that this song I have listened now is just 192 kbit/s which is lower quality, but still the quality of the sound is even incredible if you are listening to mp3´s at 192 kbit/s like I just experienced, but of course every artist and sound engineer will mix and master different with different equipment and skills, so you have with headphones like the HD 598 a tool to be able to observe how different tracks got different positive and negative sonical points. 

Its great that these headphones give you so many new possibilities to study the nature of sound and mixing skills of different sound engineers and so much more. these headphones are something I was looking for and they even sound a lot better like my Sennheiser HD 595 and HD 555. The HD 595 had some great quality, but not enough for the higher class, because the HD 595 sounded not good in a few ways. I just heard one song till now with my new HD 598 so I need some more music to get some overview. I do this for you and I try to be objective, without saying anything to nice. But till now I feel positive about my new HD 598 headphones, so lets use another track. 

Shoutcast IDM Radio (360 kbit/s)

Ok, the song I hear is crazy. You hear a voice that zooms away from the foreground and back into it. The space between the foreground and background never sounded with such an depth of dimension. The bass of the glitched beat sounds punchy like nothing I ever heard before. At the same time the bass is not covering anyhing else, its just sounding like I desire it as a listener. The higher tones sound very crisp and the attack I heard never before fast like that. These headhones have a very fast attack behaviour and thats a very good thing. They sound so much better trough the fast attack like my old HD 595 and HD 555. 

The next song is fading in and the artist is Ulrich Schnauss with "Molfsee". Man, this tune fades in with this unbelivably edited beat. Well,now with these headphones, this beat sounds incredible, but before, this beat sounded boring to me. Now I hear all the little things that are sounding between the beats like its some kind of liquid glue with sonical features. You hear so much more that you don´t find the right words. You really hear more. 

Its not just a different sound quality, its also more what you hear and this makes it not easy to review, because now every song sounds totally different, like you listen for every song with a complete different headphone. This means these headphones are able to reproduce what they should reproduce. They do not sound in a special way. Not at all. They have no own sound, its almost like that. The only sound the HD 598 have, is the one the artists made their songs sound. Better I can´texplain it. 

The bass also sound complete different in each song and can get extremly dry and deep if the song got mixed and mastered to sound like that, but if you listen to a song with a lot highs and less lows, it will give you exactly the output the song deserves. Better I couldn´t say it. These headphones sound totally awesome and better like the AKG Q701 and the Q701 cost a lot more money and some mags said that the Q701 play on the same level of class like the Sennheiser HD 650, so if the HD 598 sound better like the Q701, they also must sound better, at least in some ways, like the Sennheiser HD 650.

I listen now to a song in **** quality with a lot reverb and highs to see if the bass or whatever is to much intense or if something sounds or feels wrong about it. 

Well, there is nothing I can say against the HD 598 and I´m aware that headphones exist that are better, but a Sennheiser HD 800 is a bit out of the price range of most people, so the Sennheiser HD 598 is a goot choice, and its sounding so much better like the Q701 from AKG.

Now I will test different genres and if the HD 598 passes the sound test.

Ambient

Whoa, you have to experience this yourself. The warm sounds just are magical pulling you into the music. The frequencies of echos or hall, you really notice how they move between foreground and background in a way thats just touching your heart and the reverb of the piano is endless, it has strong vibrational sonical behaviour, you feel it like you are listening on large very expansive speakers. This sound is so impressive and incredible awesome, that it sounds like you hear a very good mastering & mixing at a resolution of 192 khz and 64 bit, but what I´ve just heard was just 160 kbit/s. I can´t believe it. I just love these headphones. I love them so much. I´m happy. I don´t want better ones. Its like I have a porsche car. I don´t need a spaceship.

Better things always exist, sure, but really, these headphones go far beyond the desire of what most people would like, so most people will get happy with these headphones here. Of course the HD 800 sounds a bit better, but really, is a porsche not fast, just because a rocket is faster? I think you get what I mean by saying that. 

Breakcore, Drill N´ Bass, Experimental

These headphones are unbelivable and I can´t believe it yet how incredible Squarepusher sounds with the song "Rotate Electrolyte". Autechre with their song "Overand" really put some very high frequencies into the beginning and I wonder about that because I never heard these sounds before. The sound of the middles is warm like it got toasted 5 seconds ago. AFX with his tune "215061" sounds totally wonderful. There are no wordds to describe how I hear it now. Its just right, better and it feels like there is no better beyond that. Its just awesome.

Charts Electro Pop

"We Are All Made By Stars" from Moby sounds perfect and I just looked to see what resolution the song has, well, its just mp3 at 192 kbit/s that sound better like everything I heard mastered and mixed at 192 khz at 64 bits on older, but also expansive headphones. Katie Melua with her song "Shy Boy" sounds agaon totally different. Like I say there is on these HD 598 headphones not at all a colored sound behaviour. They sound like the song sounds, not the song sounds like the headphones sound. Better I couldn´t say it to you. The sound is in this song dry like a desert and warm like a beautiful warm day. The bass has such a beauty of finest pressure in deeper areas, not to much and not to covert, just like I desire music to sound. It couldn´t sound better if you ask me. And if, the difference must be little. 

Highs

Very much details, finest resolutions and it sounds different in every track so the headphones sound like the song and not the song sounds like headphones and thats how it should be. About the highs I can say thath they sound very fine and you hear so much in just one hihat. You hear as a example, if its synthesised or real analogue or the size of the room the guitar played in or stuff like that. Its really unbelivable what a headphone can make you hear. From 10 stars for the highs I will give 9 stars because 10 stars would be just perfect and I don´t think that perfection exists, but of course the HD 598 sounds very close to perfection, but of course I know that different people have different tastes and some people would love a bit more bass or more of this and that. I love the highs.

Middle

The middles sounds just like you want them to sound. Its a dream, more I do not have to say. I give the middles from 10 stars 9.5 stars, just incredible they sound.

Lows

Ok. Lows can be to low for most people. The more the better. People love bass power. Buuum, buuum! But - there is a difference between "Buuum, buuum" headphones and the HD 598 headphone. The HD 598 has a very deep bass and I love it, but its not a silly and unreal, unnatural, plastic like sounding bass enhancer tool, its a audiophile headphone and if the song has a powerfull deep dry bass with huge dynamics, the HD 598 will give you this sound. "Frozen" from Madonna couldn´t sound better with a "Buum, buuum" headphone. I love the bass of these headphones. I got not the feeling that the lows sound weak or like the lows shouldn´t sound. From 10 stars I give 9 stars away for this lovely sound of the lows.

Stereo & Room & L/R & Location(s)

Awesome. Just incredible. There really is nothing to compare. The Q701 from AKG didn´t sounded that way and the Beyerdynamik 770 Pro also did not sound good like these headphones here. Thats the reason why I bought the HD 598 headphones. Different rooms and stereo effects sound just fantastic over the HD 598, just more that you can desire for a good fun while listening to music.

Are they for music listening or for mixing and mastering?

I have to say that everything I listened to till now and I wrote all this since I put the HD 598 on my head about 30 minutes ago, sounded more then just very good, it sounded incredible and it was all just low resolution mp3 between 128 kbit/s and 192 kbit/s, just one or two songs had 360 kbit/s, so if you want to work as a mixing engineer, you need to be able to zoom into the sound to hear if it sounds right or wrong. Its like zooming into microscopic levels and with the HD 598 you can do this and I would say also that the HD 598 sound very natural. The Q701 from AKG with a much higher price sound not that good. 

If you are a hobby audio engineer and working on your tracks or on tunes from your friends the HD 598 will satisfy you 100%, but if Madonna´s or Björk´s agency will ask you to work as a mixing engineer on her latest single, the HD 598 will need to make room for better headphones, of course. But these people prefer sound standards that go far beyond what normal artists and audio engineers need to get a awesome sound quality. If you really want to be pro, get a 3.000 dollar soundcard, a 8.000 dollar mixer, a 1.000 dollar headphone and 20.000 dollar speakers. So you see probably what I want to tell you by saying this. If you want to be a real pro, not a fake pro, you need to get into the money game in highest levels. It makes no sense to ask a question like, is the HD 598 good for mastering and mixing. Of course it is, but there is so much more to it, to make a good mastering and mixing, that just one headphone can´t be the answer. 

I would say the HD 800 would be a good headphone for this, but the 598 also sounds nice, but like I say you have to be aware of the situation. Are you working for Moby or William Orbit? If so, you better get a better headphone. Are you working for yourself and friends? If so, you better not spend more money because the differences will be there, but you will just notice them on very expansive audio systems with highly expansive converters and stuff like this. 

I hope my short review helped you. I did not write a scientific review. I talk like I talk and I just feel I´ve said it the right way. Of course there are better headphones, but the HD 598 sound so good and till now I´ve just heard mp3 between 128 kbit/s and 360 kbit/s, so I will start now to study how wav, flac sounds in different resolutions from 44 to 192 and from 8 bit to 64. It just can get better. 

Thats why I love the HD 598 already at this time now. They not just look awesome, they sound also like that. But what really makes me fall in love with them is the way the highs are sounding. Just incredible, just amazing, just lovely, gentle and wonderful.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2,222 of 7,535
Well this review seems to be somewhat overpositive i feel lol, though his points are quite good. I do love the airyness of the pair over the HD650's thicker sound but i like the refinement and imaging accuracy over the HD598.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,224 of 7,535
I just have the HD598 for two weeks and i absolutely love them.

I'd like to make them sounding to their best potential and i'm wondering...what is it better ? a cable upgrading or a good Amp/Dac ? 

I cannot notice any diffence between my Clip+ Fiio E5 and my integrated Sound card pc Realtek though. (Maybe the Clip is more bassy and lucious on the mids, very subtle difference).

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,225 of 7,535
My par has improved with burn-in (or I think so) a lot, but I have put only 30/40 hours so far. Still the 558 sounds a little more a live (although without the wider soundstage).

I think I have been to careful with the 598, the 558 recieved much louder/longer burn sessions.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2,227 of 7,535
Definitely one of the best headphones I've ever owned until... it cracked... and finally snapped
frown.gif

Everything I throw at it sounds good and is really easy on the ears. You may even forget you're wearing them at times and go "oops"
wink_face.gif

Want to turn the volume up? no probs, you won't get tired or fatigue from them at all, it's really tolerable.

I'm still switching between these and the T1's every now and then too
dt880smile.png

People selling the HD598s are CRAZY!

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #2,228 of 7,535
Lets not get too euphoric about these headphones.

I have been listening to a friends HD600s. At first I thought that they were pretty boring but I can really appreciate the mid range tones, the dryness of acoustic guitars and lots of other subtleties. Its kind of destructive because listening to the HD600s I can hear how natural my music could sound.

Compared to HD600s, the HD598s sound unnatural when playing orchestral and chamber music. The sound is slightly too much in your face.

I have been trying to alter the sound of the HD598s to get closer to the sound of the HD600s.
I think part of the problem is the dip in response at about 1.6kHz and a bump at about 3-4 kHz. This combination seems to mess up the harmonic structure of violins and guitars.

Equalizing these ripples  by 2 or 3 dB using the graphic equalizer add on to Foobar 2k goes along way to making the HD598s sound more natural.  

I would be interested to know if anyone else has found a good equalizer setting that works for them.

For what it is worth I use an 02 amp and ODAC. The O2 is fitted with a NE5532 opamp in the voltage gain stage. I tried the LM4562 but I do not think that it is stable at low gains and it just emphasised the higher frequencies. This hid the bass which is not what you need with HD598s!

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,229 of 7,535
I'm such a lucky man. I was looking for an EQ that would correct the little "fault " in the HD598 signature and you just post this...that is a hell of a synchronicity !

Indeed, i find the HD598 sounds even more natural with this EQ correction.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,230 of 7,535
Quote:
Lets not get too euphoric about these headphones.

I have been listening to a friends HD600s. At first I thought that they were pretty boring but I can really appreciate the mid range tones, the dryness of acoustic guitars and lots of other subtleties. Its kind of destructive because listening to the HD600s I can hear how natural my music could sound.

Compared to HD600s, the HD598s sound unnatural when playing orchestral and chamber music. The sound is slightly too much in your face.

I have been trying to alter the sound of the HD598s to get closer to the sound of the HD600s.
I think part of the problem is the dip in response at about 1.6kHz and a bump at about 3-4 kHz. This combination seems to mess up the harmonic structure of violins and guitars.

Equalizing these ripples  by 2 or 3 dB using the graphic equalizer add on to Foobar 2k goes along way to making the HD598s sound more natural.  

I would be interested to know if anyone else has found a good equalizer setting that works for them.

For what it is worth I use an 02 amp and ODAC. The O2 is fitted with a NE5532 opamp in the voltage gain stage. I tried the LM4562 but I do not think that it is stable at low gains and it just emphasised the higher frequencies. This hid the bass which is not what you need with HD598s!

As a follow-up to your excellent post, how would you compare the HD-598s to the 600s you listened to, after applying the equalization you describe?  

Would you recommend the upgrade or is the EQ'd sound good enough for your tastes?

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #2,231 of 7,535
I'm already planning on my next 'phones (gee, what a journey this thread has been for me, huh?)

I'm looking at either the HE-500 or the HD600. Maybe I'll get to demo them at that audio show in NYC next week.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2,232 of 7,535
Are they still selling HD600 new? It is discontinued here, you can only buy HD 650, 700 and 800. (above HD 598). HD 600 is no longer listed.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,233 of 7,535
I'm quite amazed at how long this thread is. I got my HD598s about 2 years ago and still like them very much. More than my other open ear cans like the HD580 and SR60.

For anyone who would like to have a nice simple setup that runs through your PC/Mac, this is what I use:
Marantz Integrated Amp - PM6003 (now superseded by the PM6004)
Styleaudio DAC - Old Korean brand USB DAC, most small box DACs will be fine

Not an expensive setup at all, and gives you a versatile music system for you to play which (at least to me) will curb a lot of gear upgrade fever : P

Also, just to share, some nice songs that I've been listening to of late that sound especially sweet on the HD598 : )
1. The Honey Trees - Moon River (Nice raw-ish sounding recording - The single is available through their website for free!)
2. Lea Salonga - Reflection (Off her live album 'The journey so far')
3. Glee - Pure Imagination (Really nice lush soundstage in the recording)
4. Yo-Yo Ma - Famila (Off the album 'Songs of joy & peace'. Demanding bass lines and amazing image separation. Pushes the limits of any headphones or speakers)
5. Wilson Philips - Hold On (Demonstrates how 'musical' the HD598 is!)
6. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (Ditto as above)
7. Marvin Gaye - Your Precious Love (With Tammi Terrell - Nothing else to say about an amazing song)
8. Kenny Burrell - Chitlins Con Carne (Off the album 'Midnight Blue'. Amazing solo at 2:50m)

...as a bonus, the show Pitch Perfect is fantastic over these cans too :) (Who needs 5.1 lol)

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,235 of 7,535
My journey continues. I just purchased the HD 598 open box thru Amazon with the factory 2yr  warranty for about 170.00. This web site has me addicted I read it while I listen to my HP's. So far I bought the Shure 215 which I gave to my son, then the GR07 which I use mostly outside with the comply tips which give me a decent seal. Then I bought the A900x for 165.00 new un amped so far. I just like keeping it simple. I started using MOG at 320 KBPS which is a nice improvement, MOG is also on my new ROKU 3 which is great. 
Then my next journey while reviewing the 50 flagships lead me to the HD650 and the HD600 it sounded like I would get close to the top of the food chain and add a open can to my new collection. But then I started to get hung up on the amp or amp/dac issue, I first tried to approach it thru the portable method which appeared it wouldn't work that well even with the new Fii0 E12. So I looked at the E09k and E17, I'm just not ready to be tied to the desk with all this new portable methods that are available I'm not a professional. So I pressed HD598 vs HD600 in the search bar which lead me to the purchase of the HD 598. I haven't received them yet but here are my thoughts. Very nice looking compared to the A900x. I like the velour pads that go around the ear so I don't feel pinched. A lot of reviews say they have a great sound stage and they are close to the HD600/650 as far SQ goes. I hope the cracking issue is solved? So as a Newbie am I on track in my journey. If I do get a portable Amp which one is good for my HP's so far? E11, E07K,E17 or E12. Thanks for a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back