Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,821 of 7,535
blackmouse78 Indeed, The Clash sound wonderful with the HD598. Makes me wonder why so many people complain that these cans are not good for rock music - they are.

Mattybumpkin I have listened to some Clapton and BB King with my HD 598. BB's voice sounds really powerful, and both men's guitars sound sweet and passionate with my cans. I also listen to a lot of Bob Dylan, whose recent work is mostly blues, and he also sounds great from my black 598s. You should give them a try definitely.

Thekarma Wow, you made it sound like the 598 are true hi-fi, near-top-of-the-line headphones. If I had the money I'd buy your 600's to give them a try. I just want to ask you though, which amp did you use for your comparison?

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #5,824 of 7,535
@Thekarma Wow, you made it sound like the 598 are true hi-fi, near-top-of-the-line headphones. If I had the money I'd buy your 600's to give them a try. I just want to ask you though, which amp did you use for your comparison?

Using the SMSL Sap II (same opamp as Fiio E9), I also tried through my SoundBlaster Z (600ohm amp apparently). I did think maybe a better quality amp might improve the 600 further; not sure if I'm prepared to go that route yet... My friend has a recording studio and has all sorts of amps and equipment. I'm seeing him next week and I'm taking my 600's to have a listen to some different sources. I can also get his professional opinion on the 598's and 600's.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #5,826 of 7,535
  Well,

just pulled the trigger and bought a pair of HD598SE's, and signed up for the K7xx on Massdrop.

I guess I will be eating box mac & cheese for the next couple weeks..............

Well played, sir.  When in doubt..

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #5,828 of 7,535
  Just finished listening to a bunch of Metallica with mine. They sounded spectacular.

Listening to the DCC 24k gold remasters in flac of Master and Ride, they are unbelievably good on the 598SE. Metallica is already in my top 5 but those albums are the top 2.

Any recommandation of tube amplifier for HD598SE? Thanks!

I've been using the Vali 2 with mine, fed by a modi 2 uber, toslink from xonar dx (hifi setting on) and it has been phenomenal with a 6922EH tube.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #5,829 of 7,535

Listening to the DCC 24k gold remasters in flac of Master and Ride, they are unbelievably good on the 598SE. Metallica is already in my top 5 but those albums are the top 2.

I've been using the Vali 2 with mine, fed by a modi 2 uber, toslink from xonar dx (hifi setting on) and it has been phenomenal with a 6922EH tube.

Thanks! Vali 2 is hybrid. Is it sound like a SS amp. or a tube amp.?

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #5,830 of 7,535
  Any recommandation of tube amplifier for HD598SE? Thanks!

While it's not technically a 'tube' amp, I highly recommend the iFi iCAN micro SE and it's Class A 'TubeState' technology. The two have great synergy, and honestly breathed new life in my HD598s. Plus, the iCAN micro's bass boost works quite well (cleanest I have heard in an amp TBH) if you are one of them people who find the HD598 to have 'light' bass.

beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #5,831 of 7,535

While it's not technically a 'tube' amp, I highly recommend the iFi iCAN micro SE and it's Class A 'TubeState' technology. The two have great synergy, and honestly breathed new life in my HD598s. Plus, the iCAN micro's bass boost works quite well (cleanest I have heard in an amp TBH) if you are one of them people who find the HD598 to have 'light' bass.

beerchug.gif

Thank you, Bansaku, for bringing my attention to this beast! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #5,832 of 7,535
Feb 24, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #5,833 of 7,535
No one ever told me sorry for my wallet :frowning2:

I seriously hate you guys. Since November I have bought a iBasso DX50, Sennheiser HD 598, Audioengine P4 speakers, Topping VX1 amp/dac which I still have but upgraded to a Schiit Modi DAC and a Little Dot MKIII and in the coming months I'll be swapping the Little Dot out for a Schiit Valhalla and still debating between the HD600 and the HD700.

Why...WHY...

Sorry to quote such an old post, but recently Arsis recommended the Little Dot for amping the 598, and I'm looking forward to get the Modi DAC, so you seemed the right one to ask about that combo. Do you still remember how did the 598 sound with the Modi DAC and the Little Dot amp together? Did you like it, or do you prefer the one brand combo and pair the Modi with a Schiit amp (looking for the Magni2/Uber)?

I've heard the Modi/Magni is a winner already, but the Little Dots are tube amps (Schiit's tube amps are way pricier, and I can't afford them), plus the Magni's frequency response only goes up to 20 kHz, whereas the Little Dot goes all the way up to 50 kHz. That's why I'm thinking about combining the best of both worlds and pair an extraordinary DAC with a well reputed tube amp, but naturally I need to be assured these two get along well.

Thanks in advance, and happy listening!

Edit: wrong mention, lol :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #5,834 of 7,535
Thanks! Vali 2 is hybrid. Is it sound like a SS amp. or a tube amp.?

Well I also have a magni 2, and ABing them I can definitely hear very distinct differences, the vali 2 has a very rich tube sound depending on which tube you use. The stock tube I received sounds almost identical to my magni 2, but the electro harmonix tubes that I have really bring out the tube sound of the vali 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back