Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,807 of 7,535
  I am curious how people would describe the bass on their 598. I really don't find mine light. Am I alone?

It depends on the amp/dac I'm using.  I find that with the Fiio E10K, bass boost off, the bass is too light.  With bass boost on, the amount is just right for most songs, and a bit too much for some songs.  Also, with Fiio bass boost on, the bass can get a little muddy sounding depending on the song.  Now, when using my iphone 6, I find the bass is just right.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #5,808 of 7,535
So after about a week of using EqualizerAPO with the sonarworks EQ profile for the 598, I think I prefer the sound of the 598 with the EQ off.  With my Fiio E10K, bass boost off, sonarworks EQ profile applied, the overall sound was smoother and more balanced, with more bass but lacked some clarity.  Some songs just sounded "off" and unnatural in the mids/highs.  I prefer the sound with no EQ and bass boost on the Fiio turned on.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #5,809 of 7,535
I've always thought that my Fiio E10K sounded somewhat bright with not much bass.  So last night, I did some back to back comparisons between it and my iPhone 6, of course using the 598s.  Here are my findings:

Fiio E10K, bass boost off --  overall bright tonality with slightly sharp high vocals; not much bass presence or impact

Fiio E10K, bass boost on --  same as above except, of course, more bass.  Low mids warm up a bit too.  Bass can be a bit too much on some songs and at times can sound a bit muddy.

iPhone 6 -- much better balance of lows to mids to highs than the Fiio.  Bass amount is just right.  Mids and highs sound smoother.  Vocals noticeably smoother with no sharpness.  Also, more fine detail than the Fiio, throughout the entire range, making sounds more realistic and natural sounding.  Also, sounds seem to occupy more of their own space, and there is more depth/layering to the music.

The only real advantage the Fiio has over the iphone IMO in terms of SQ, are of course everything sounds louder and brighter, giving perhaps, the illusion of more clarity.  The iphone, however, seems to resolve more detail, and has a less forward presentation, with more depth, allowing me to hear deeper into the music, if that makes sense.

I think I will be replacing my Fiio with either an Audioengine D3, Dragonfly, DACMagic, Apogee Groove, or some other similar USB only powered DAC/AMP.  I expect even better sound from one of those than the iphone.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #5,810 of 7,535
I've always thought that my Fiio E10K sounded somewhat bright with not much bass.  So last night, I did some back to back comparisons between it and my iPhone 6, of course using the 598s.  Here are my findings:

Fiio E10K, bass boost off --  overall bright tonality with slightly sharp high vocals; not much bass presence or impact

Fiio E10K, bass boost on --  same as above except, of course, more bass.  Low mids warm up a bit too.  Bass can be a bit too much on some songs and at times can sound a bit muddy.

iPhone 6 -- much better balance of lows to mids to highs than the Fiio.  Bass amount is just right.  Mids and highs sound smoother.  Vocals noticeably smoother with no sharpness.  Also, more fine detail than the Fiio, throughout the entire range, making sounds more realistic and natural sounding.  Also, sounds seem to occupy more of their own space, and there is more depth/layering to the music.

The only real advantage the Fiio has over the iphone IMO in terms of SQ, are of course everything sounds louder and brighter, giving perhaps, the illusion of more clarity.  The iphone, however, seems to resolve more detail, and has a less forward presentation, with more depth, allowing me to hear deeper into the music, if that makes sense.

I think I will be replacing my Fiio with either an Audioengine D3, Dragonfly, DACMagic, Apogee Groove, or some other similar USB only powered DAC/AMP.  I expect even better sound from one of those than the iphone.

Hmmm...I would never have imagined that an iPhone sound quality would be ranked so favorably but hey it simply comes down to whatever sounds best to your ears. I find that the Schiit Modi & Magni stack sound very good with my 598's.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #5,811 of 7,535
I haven't done any back-to-back testing in a while but I remember also being very impressed by the audio output from my iPad Air in comparison to the E10K.  I never got any more expensive equipment to tell me whether the iPad was overperforming or the FiiO underperforming.  I figure ignorance is bliss. 
tongue_smile.gif

If there's any 'Muricans (or other Amazon.com buying peoples) interested in the HD598SE, you should jump on this warehouse deal for $94.88 as it probably won't last long.  I made my first Warehouse purchases ("Very Good" RS185 and extra HDR185 headset) and the only indication that they weren't brand new was the way they were placed back into their boxes.

EDIT: Typos, corrections, general Hammyisms.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5,812 of 7,535
I haven't done any back-to-back testing in a while but I remember also being very impressed by the audio output from my iPad Air in comparison to the E10K.  I never got any more expensive equipment to tell me whether the iPad was overperforming or the FiiO underperforming.  I figure ignorance is bliss.  :tongue_smile:

If there's any 'Muricans (or other Amazon.com buying peoples) interested in the HD598SE, you should jump on this warehouse deal for $94.88 as it probably won't last long.  I made my first Warehouse purchases ("Very Good" RS185 and extra HDR185 headset) and the only indication that they weren't brand new was the way they were placed back into their boxes.

EDIT: Typos, corrections, general Hammyisms.

I got my 650's that way. Almost half off for a ripped outer box. Inner box and headphones were perfect.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #5,813 of 7,535
I am curious how people would describe the bass on their 598. I really don't find mine light. Am I alone?

Sorry for being so late to the party, but here's my general impressions regarding bass:

As I write this, I'm listening to The Clash's "Jimmy Jazz" (from their London Calling LP) from my girlfirend's laptop on Foobar2000; no EQ nor any drivers added.

The bass on this song, as I'm listening right now, is pretty thumpy. Makes an already fun song even more enjoyable.

Overall, I find my 598 SE to be very neutral with a very slight inclination towards the warm side. If the song was recorded with little bass, that's what you'll get - no big boost. But if the source has good bass, you're in here for a ride.

So far, the only song whose bass I haven't enjoyed was Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass" (oh the irony), which I played for burn in reasons (although I have to admit that I liked her song "Dear Future Husband"); bass in that song was so loose I had to EQ the lows down; I guess they wanted to make the bass as prominent as possible in the mix, but they overblew it. Alas, missed opportunity.

As I write this on, my playlist has moved on to "Spanish Bombs". Oh my! This is a bass I can tap my feet to all day long.

Veggie out. ¡Oh mi corazón!

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #5,814 of 7,535
Thanks to everyone for their input on the bass issue. I would say that for the most part, your impressions and mine are in line with one another. I find the bass warm, engaging, well articulated, and, when appropriate, thumpy. So happy with these cans.

Feb 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #5,815 of 7,535
@veggie you're damn right mate!  The whole Combat Rock album sounds great with the HD598s, and it's true, the bass is very well recorded  and reproduced all over the album, it just makes you want to dance! 
biggrin.gif

Also, I really love the bass on "Uptown funk" by Marc Ronson/Bruno Mars.Man it sounds good!

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #5,817 of 7,535
Hi everyone,

looking for some input if I could.  How would the 598's be with blues (Cray, McClain, BB, Clapton, etc. with rthymn bass) as well as with acoustics/vocals (Jackson Brown, James Taylor, Dido, Nora)?

I am trying to decide between these and the K7xx.

I would be running them from a home system tube CD player > ss headphone amp to be determined like Magni, etc. > hp's.

I'm not a basshead but do like whatever bass is there to be tight and fast.  There is also a $80-$100 difference in price between the 598's ($100-$120) and the K7xx ($200) so value comes into play too.

Any input is appreciated.  I did receive some input on the K7xx thread but thought this thread would be good to ask on too.

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5,818 of 7,535
FWIW - Plugged the HD598s into a retired Android HTC EVO as my iPod headphone port is going a little wonky.  Instead of downloading to the phone, simply set up streaming and pleased to report that getting to half volume is too loud. I assume this will kill the battery charge pretty swiftly, but did want to report that I am rather pleased with the quality of the sound... If power becomes an issue, will use a recharge pack..

@Mattybumpkin - I have never heard the K7xx, but am well pleased with HD598s and enjoyed enhancing the sound running a little $50 hybrid tube amp. In fact I was so impressed with how they exposed previously unheard subtleties that I just had to get one of their siblings too, the HD650s.   The HD598s are actually fine without amplification, maybe a tad bright with wide sound stage... The HD650s, on the other hand, do need a serious amplifier to excel. 

You might be best served doing a demo of the cans.  Or get both and then sell the one you favor the least.  The HD598s blew my mind with the timbre they exposed with Janis Joplin singing Mercedes Benz. Type O Negative covering Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl was also one of the mind blowers. It was the detail that came out of the Doors Texas Radio & the Big Beat that gave the largest wow factor. Bach's Toccata and Fugue is also impressive. All the quality recordings have been wonderful. For me, these cans really shine listening to live performances.

Of course YMMV.  Enjoy.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5,819 of 7,535
  Hi everyone,

looking for some input if I could.  How would the 598's be with blues (Cray, McClain, BB, Clapton, etc. with rthymn bass) as well as with acoustics/vocals (Jackson Brown, James Taylor, Dido, Nora)?

I am trying to decide between these and the K7xx.

I would be running them from a home system tube CD player > ss headphone amp to be determined like Magni, etc. > hp's.

I'm not a basshead but do like whatever bass is there to be tight and fast.  There is also a $80-$100 difference in price between the 598's ($100-$120) and the K7xx ($200) so value comes into play too.

Any input is appreciated.  I did receive some input on the K7xx thread but thought this thread would be good to ask on too.

Thanks.

Well, I don't have anything near your setup, and I've never heard the K7xx.  Closest I've heard were Q701s.  However, I think the 598s are arguably the best value in open back cans in their price category.  I listen to some of the music you mentioned, and the bass is satisfying.  It's fairly tight, never sloppy, and close to neutral.  I think vocals sound excellent on the 598s.  The other thing about the 598s is their ability to capture the resonance, nuance, and space of the recording.  If the recording was done with room mics, you will hear and feel some of the ambiance of that room.  I've heard a few more expensive open backs that just can't recreate that feeling.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #5,820 of 7,535
If anyone is interested I've now had the chance to compare the HD600 with an amp, to the 598SE. The only difference I can tell is a little, and I mean a little, bit more clarity on the hd600. The amp did not improve the sound stage as I had hoped. The 598's sound a little warmer but still nice and clear. Both headphones have a nice increase in clarity from being amplified. Both headphones sound amazing and are comfortable, I just don't consider the 600's that much of an upgrade.

Musically the hd600 are technically better, less coloured and slightly more detailed; reference headphones. However the 598's sound more fun, more open with a larger sound-stage. I think I've got used to the wideness of the 598's. The 598's sound better for games/films due to the wider sound-stage that increases the immersive feeling... 

I will probably keep both as I got the 600 & 598's for the same price. I may sell the 600 when I'm in a position to buy the.... oh god... HD700's.. when does it end 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back