Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #5,791 of 7,535
Hello Everyone! I've introduced myself in the beginners forum, but I thought I might as well check in here, since I'm a happy HD598SE user!

I've got mine a few weeks ago and have been loving them since.

I haven't got into the language to be able to describe properly, but hey.... they sound great to me!

I lurked around here for a while and then decided to go ahead and get them, I think it was a good choice. I had listened to some grados before (sr80, sr125, 225, 325) but did not really like the sound signature, while I liked the 598s from the very first moment!

As I started listening I quickly realized that the output from my phone (a lumia 1020) was waaay better than the output of my laptop and desktop PCs... or maybe I should just say that both the PC and the laptop's audio out were rubbish!
tongue_smile.gif

The first thing I did was turn off all the ridiculous "enhancements" that you normally find on onboard soundcards, it improved things a little but still my phone was better!

I thought that maybe all the talks about DACs and amps made some sense in the end... and so I've got myself a nice Audioengine D1 and immediately heard quite a substantial difference!

I've left the whole system on overnight and for a full day while I was out (it says on the D1 manual that 40-50 hours of break-in are advisable), and on my return I was so happy to hear that the difference was real, and pretty impressive!

The sense of "space" got much better, the sound was a lot more dynamic and clear, just so nice!

Now of course I think I've got the upgrade bug... so I'm looking into higher end cans and amps... I've got an O2+ODAC combo on its way because I'd like to hear if there's any audible difference on the 598s and also I'd like to keep it for future headphones that might require more juice from the amp than the D1 can provide in order to work properly.

I could return my D1 but I think I'll keep it because I really like the fact it's small and USB powered so I can take it with me on trips and plug it in easily into other PCs or my laptop...

anyway... happy listening everyone!

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #5,795 of 7,535
  Hello Everyone! I've introduced myself in the beginners forum, but I thought I might as well check in here, since I'm a happy HD598SE user!

I've got mine a few weeks ago and have been loving them since.

I haven't got into the language to be able to describe properly, but hey.... they sound great to me!

I lurked around here for a while and then decided to go ahead and get them, I think it was a good choice. I had listened to some grados before (sr80, sr125, 225, 325) but did not really like the sound signature, while I liked the 598s from the very first moment!

As I started listening I quickly realized that the output from my phone (a lumia 1020) was waaay better than the output of my laptop and desktop PCs... or maybe I should just say that both the PC and the laptop's audio out were rubbish!
tongue_smile.gif

The first thing I did was turn off all the ridiculous "enhancements" that you normally find on onboard soundcards, it improved things a little but still my phone was better!

I thought that maybe all the talks about DACs and amps made some sense in the end... and so I've got myself a nice Audioengine D1 and immediately heard quite a substantial difference!

I've left the whole system on overnight and for a full day while I was out (it says on the D1 manual that 40-50 hours of break-in are advisable), and on my return I was so happy to hear that the difference was real, and pretty impressive!

The sense of "space" got much better, the sound was a lot more dynamic and clear, just so nice!

Now of course I think I've got the upgrade bug... so I'm looking into higher end cans and amps... I've got an O2+ODAC combo on its way because I'd like to hear if there's any audible difference on the 598s and also I'd like to keep it for future headphones that might require more juice from the amp than the D1 can provide in order to work properly.

I could return my D1 but I think I'll keep it because I really like the fact it's small and USB powered so I can take it with me on trips and plug it in easily into other PCs or my laptop...

anyway... happy listening everyone!

@blackmouse78  Very nice!  Glad to found a pair of cans you like/love.  Let us know how the D1 and ODAC compare.

I had a long discussion with @LazyListener about the HD598SE's lack of space issue. I had read here somewhere that burn-in should not affect soundstage. So, though I believe in burn-in I thought 598SE just isn't as spacious as I expected but dear lord I was wrong, I am 30hr+ with my SEs and there is a very noticeable difference. Also, the difference between the two cables seems to be minimizing with burn-in.

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #5,796 of 7,535
@saikat1729 honestly... I'm not sure if it was just the D1 that changed after 24+ hours of playing my library on shuffle or if it was the 598s as well, they were both brand new components at the time and I really can't tell exactly what happened, but something surely did change for the better even according to my totally untrained ears.

When it comes to the cables....honestly I can't tell the difference!

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #5,797 of 7,535
  @saikat1729 honestly... I'm not sure if it was just the D1 that changed after 24+ hours of playing my library on shuffle or if it was the 598s as well, they were both brand new components at the time and I really can't tell exactly what happened, but something surely did change for the better even according to my totally untrained ears.

Yeah! could be both.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #5,798 of 7,535

Some people even believe in cable burn-in.  I picked up some wireless RS185 yesterday and I'm thinking about burning in the air in my listening room.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #5,801 of 7,535

fart in your listening room that might help with the burning in process of your room's air......
biggrin.gif

Well, heat, humidity and other atmospheric variables could effect wireless frequencies....

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #5,802 of 7,535
Some people even believe in cable burn-in.  I picked up some wireless RS185 yesterday and I'm thinking about burning in the air in my listening room.

I'm hoping my toslink cable will finish burning in soon, the signal is just too slow when new. 0.000005ms is not fast enough! I need 0.0000045626ms!

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #5,805 of 7,535
  I am curious how people would describe the bass on their 598. I really don't find mine light. Am I alone?

Nope, a lot feel that the HD598 have great bass that is far from light. It depends on what you are comparing them to really.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back