Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,831 of 7,535
I just bought a pair of these from Amazon - all this talk of fakes is having me worried now so gonna have to check when I get home to feel completely at ease!!!

Anyway I really love these headphones, I wouldn't say they're bass light and that's coming from someone who's used DT990s for the past year or so, there's still plenty of bass. Soundstage is great, they feel very open. I was watching Transformers Age of Extinction and felt like I could hear every little detail like exactly where each bullet casing was falling on the ground.
Music is fantastic too - was listening to Dire Straits Calling Elvis, sounded great from my Fiio E07K

Is there any info on burn in with these cans? Can I expect them to change at all over the next couple of weeks?

Also I don't have a DAC at the moment, I have a Magni but need a new DAC, I was going to get the Modi 2 as this was previously recommended to me and when I had the modi/magni combo it sounded great with my DT990s, would it still be a good set up for the 598s?

I wouldn't be too worked about them being fake, although it is obviously a possibility. My computer had significant hissing and I purchased an odac/o2 combo. I haven't heard the modi bUT it seems to be very good and often compared with the 02. My deciding factor is I travel and the o2 was compact. Honestly I think the 598s sound just fine out of a phone so I imagine any neutral amp Dac should do great. As far as burn in you will adjust to the 598s presentation but I personally don't think the headphone changes. After a week or two of the 598 I would be curious to hear your impression of the dt990 if you still have them.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,832 of 7,535
  I just bought a pair of these from Amazon - all this talk of fakes is having me worried now so gonna have to check when I get home to feel completely at ease!!!

Anyway I really love these headphones, I wouldn't say they're bass light and that's coming from someone who's used DT990s for the past year or so, there's still plenty of bass. Soundstage is great, they feel very open. I was watching Transformers Age of Extinction and felt like I could hear every little detail like exactly where each bullet casing was falling on the ground.
Music is fantastic too - was listening to Dire Straits Calling Elvis, sounded great from my Fiio E07K

Is there any info on burn in with these cans? Can I expect them to change at all over the next couple of weeks?

Also I don't have a DAC at the moment, I have a Magni but need a new DAC, I was going to get the Modi 2 as this was previously recommended to me and when I had the modi/magni combo it sounded great with my DT990s, would it still be a good set up for the 598s?

Burn in? Just use at normal volumes. You will not notice much of a difference, but there is slightly increased lower mids when burned in. I know this as I burned in my 598's and then tried two new ones- all three back to back. They now sound exactly like mine.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #4,834 of 7,535
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these for $50! I think they'll be worth the money even if they just sit in my Passat back home. :)
New?

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,836 of 7,535
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #4,837 of 7,535
I wouldn't be too worked about them being fake, although it is obviously a possibility. My computer had significant hissing and I purchased an odac/o2 combo. I haven't heard the modi bUT it seems to be very good and often compared with the 02. My deciding factor is I travel and the o2 was compact. Honestly I think the 598s sound just fine out of a phone so I imagine any neutral amp Dac should do great. As far as burn in you will adjust to the 598s presentation but I personally don't think the headphone changes. After a week or two of the 598 I would be curious to hear your impression of the dt990 if you still have them.

Burn in? Just use at normal volumes. You will not notice much of a difference, but there is slightly increased lower mids when burned in. I know this as I burned in my 598's and then tried two new ones- all three back to back. They now sound exactly like mine.

Thanks for the replies guys :)
I think I'll get the modi 2 as the one place in the UK that is an official reseller is fairly local to me.

I still have the DT990s so in a couple of weeks I will report back with my thoughts!

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,838 of 7,535
I just bought a pair of these from Amazon - all this talk of fakes is having me worried now so gonna have to check when I get home to feel completely at ease

I bought my pair off of amazon just a few weeks ago and they are real. Plus with their return policy your risk is pretty low.

Jun 15, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #4,839 of 7,535
Thanks for the replies guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll get the modi 2 as the one place in the UK that is an official reseller is fairly local to me.

I still have the DT990s so in a couple of weeks I will report back with my thoughts!

Consider the Wyrd with it. I've heard from some very trustworthy people that it is a great combo.

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #4,840 of 7,535
  Consider the Wyrd with it. I've heard from some very trustworthy people that it is a great combo.

I'd hold off on the Wyrd. I borrowed a Modi 1 from a friend a year or so ago and it had all sorts of glitches and drop-outs if you even looked at it funny which the Wyrd fixed. However, I just got my Modi 2/Magni 2 stack and the Modi 2 runs perfectly on its own.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #4,845 of 7,535
  x2 on the Vali. The touch of warmth from the Vali did wonders for both the 598 and 558.

Yep but the Vali is a tube amp. 

I'm really interested in comparing the O2+ODAC vs the Magni Modi in term of transparency. Sold my DIY O2+ODAC the other day and now I'm pondering which pair to get, the Schitts or a new O2+ODAC (from JDS or Epiphany, with better build than my old one). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back