Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #4,261 of 7,535

iDevices actually have some of the most linear output available for a portable device, it is just that the overall output is just not that strong; 50 Ohms is pushing it. That said, what is the primary use for your HD598, indoor or portable? Are you content with using your iPad or prefer your PC?

You will definitely benefit from an external DAC/amp. Like other have said, onboard audio is terrible (I have the ALC898) despite the claims by the manufacturer; i.e. S/N ratio, THD etc, are examples of what looks good on paper... Anyway, if you have a home theatre/stereo receiver the HD598 are an excellent match. Something like the Audioengine D1/D3 or the FiiOs (what is with Head-fi's obsession with them?) you mention will also be of benefit to the HD598. If you have the older iPad with the 30pin connector go with the E17 as it supports 24bit/96K output (and includes the interconnect cable), otherwise you will need to purchase the Camera Connection adaptor for the lightning connector. The Schit Magni and Modi combo are also reasonably priced in relation to what was mentioned and is something you should consider if you are willing/able to purchase a DAC/amp in the $150-$200 range.

I will like to add that yes, the better the DAC and amp, the more the HD598 will reflect their quality. Going from ALC898 to my D1 wasn't a huge leap overall, rather it provided a cleaner, smoother sound. Going from Toslink in to the D1 and then RCA out to my Yamaha receiver yielded the same gain as going from the ALC898 to the D1; nothing huge but it did improve upon the 100Hz impedance spike and smoothed out the bass (and gave it more kick). Going from the latter to my Teac UD-H01 was like getting a different pair of headphones all together.

beerchug.gif

I think, realistically, I'll only ever use these indoors.  I would prefer using them with the PC as it's all HDMI'd up to the TV (movies/games etc).

I'm quite happy with the output from the iPad - I think the dac/amp would stay with the PC.  Is there any particular sound difference between the E10K and E17?   It's a little daunting starting down this audiophile business.  After all, the headphones did only cost 74,99€ ($93usd~).  I'm pretty sure I'm not maximizing their potential though - argh.  Wallet at the door, indeed.

Thanks for your advice and apologies for my limited vocabularly when it comes to the audio world :)

If you're happy, just stick with what you've got for now then upgrade later.  A DAC such as the HRT Microstreamer can be run from your computer, ipad or anything else for that matter, so is fine for at home and portable use.  It sounds amazing and is one of the best upgrades I've ever made, but I didn't miss it until I got it!

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #4,262 of 7,535
  Has anyone experience on whether an E10K or E17 sounds considerably better than the (IMO already sweet sounding) output from the iPad?

Considerably better? No. Apple devices have some of the best DAC's around. All of the measurements and reviews I've seen on audiophile blogs rate them highly. I have an E10K. It pairs perfectly with the 598 but the output is as clean, quiet, and sterile as out of my older model iPad.

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #4,264 of 7,535
You sir are correct! An amp/dac will improve the performance of the HD598's, I'm using the FiiO X3 right now with the HD598's.

I find FiiO sources to be slightly narrow in soundstage and warm in nature.

A JDS Labs ODAC/O2 tightens the bass and improves mids/treble clarity by a small increment. The ODAC/O2 is a cold/neutral source and lifts the veil of the HD598 (not that it had much to begin with).

I found my Dared MP5 tube amp heightens the bass punch and quantity, making it one of the most fun headphone in my inventory.

Unfortunately I can't give you a price bracket of how much improvement you'll get out of your HD598's vs price you pay for your source.

The Fiio X3 has <0.3 ohms output impedance and according to most posts on this thread, should drive the 598 without breaking a sweat.

The sound differences are mainly due to the signature of it I am guessing?

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #4,265 of 7,535
just got mine today and am wondering why these are considered a bit slow
confused.gif
 if anything, these are quite good with metal and stuff like that. never gets busy... I'm also wondering why these are considered a bit bass light. yeah, it does roll off at about 40-50 hz but it sounds very natural and quite authoritative. I'm driving it from my DX50 connected to my PC (foobar 2000 with wasapi push output)

Dec 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #4,266 of 7,535
The Fiio X3 has <0.3 ohms output impedance and according to most posts on this thread, should drive the 598 without breaking a sweat.

The sound differences are mainly due to the signature of it I am guessing?

I have no measurements to back up my statement so I can only assume that the signature could be the case. My X3 is a bit looser in bass, warm, slightly elevated treble and bass, and the usual FiiO narrow-ish soundstage (Firmware 3.2). Compared to the ODAC/O2 anyway.

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #4,267 of 7,535
  just got mine today and am wondering why these are considered a bit slow
confused.gif
 if anything, these are quite good with metal and stuff like that. never gets busy... I'm also wondering why these are considered a bit bass light. yeah, it does roll off at about 40-50 hz but it sounds very natural and quite authoritative. I'm driving it from my DX50 connected to my PC (foobar 2000 with wasapi push output)

I find them nice with metal too, but I don't necessarily want 'nice', I prefer something a bit more aggressive with metal.  Do you not think they sound a bit too smooth for metal?  Maybe ok with mainstream rock, but there are better options for me with thrash/death metal and the faster genres..

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #4,268 of 7,535
  I find them nice with metal too, but I don't necessarily want 'nice', I prefer something a bit more aggressive with metal.  Do you not think they sound a bit too smooth for metal?  Maybe ok with mainstream rock, but there are better options for me with thrash/death metal and the faster genres..

yeah these are smooth but I'm not sure if that's bad or good with faster music. I mean Maximum the Hormones Buuiikikaesu album sounds perfect (to me) on these. majority of Tool stuff seems kinda too soft but I've yet to hear a headphone that doesn't do that. omnium gatherum sounds nice on almost everything though and HD598 are no exception - depends on the recording I guess...

not metal but a good example of very detailed, busy and quite fast music - Motteke! Sailor Fuku Bak-Bak-Bakoon! MIX by Ryousuke Nakanishi sounds very good with these.  I've yet to hear a well recorded piece of music that will make these break a sweat and I've tried a lot. maybe you could link some music that these can't keep up with? I'm really interested to test them to the fullest :)

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #4,269 of 7,535

yeah these are smooth but I'm not sure if that's bad or good with faster music. I mean Maximum the Hormones Buuiikikaesu album sounds perfect (to me) on these. majority of Tool stuff seems kinda too soft but I've yet to hear a headphone that doesn't do that. omnium gatherum sounds nice on almost everything though and HD598 are no exception - depends on the recording I guess...

not metal but a good example of very detailed, busy and quite fast music - Motteke! Sailor Fuku Bak-Bak-Bakoon! MIX by Ryousuke Nakanishi sounds very good with these.  I've yet to hear a well recorded piece of music that will make these break a sweat and I've tried a lot. maybe you could link some music that these can't keep up with? I'm really interested to test them to the fullest :)

I totally see where you are coming from.  Try a track like Conviction by Deicide from the album 'To Hell with God'.  This is a seriously heavy yet amazingly produced album.  On the HD598s, I'm sure you will be impressed as it sounds impressive through anything, but the 598s present the song in a little too well mannered a way to me.  What other headphones do you have?  On my Hifimans or my Grados, this track is brutal in its ferocity and the dynamics are really eye popping, whereas with the 598s, it's kind of like I'm looking at a nice, clear painting of the track but at a bit of a distance.  There's a certain lack of attack in the treble and a very subtle decay to everything which is what I mean by slow.  I hope you know what I mean.  Opeth's Album, Watershed also sounds a little rolled off and smooth to me.  Listen to the cymbals at the beginning of Heir Apparent.  I'm just wanting that little extra bite for this kind of music...

I think the whole large soundstage, warmth and resonance to these cans sort of takes the leading edge of some music.  This is not always a bad thing, of course.  When I listen to acoustic, intimate vocal stuff and ambient prog, like Pink Floyd's The Wall or The Finla Cut, their magical presentation draws me in both emotionally and aesthetically and I am melted. This kind of music through valves is liquid gold on these headphones. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #4,270 of 7,535
  Considerably better? No. Apple devices have some of the best DAC's around. All of the measurements and reviews I've seen on audiophile blogs rate them highly. I have an E10K. It pairs perfectly with the 598 but the output is as clean, quiet, and sterile as out of my older model iPad.

Thanks for this.  I will hold off on picking up an external dac/amp for now. 

Amazon REALLY need to stop discounting headphones - just picked up a pair of on sale AKG K551's without knowing anything about them.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #4,271 of 7,535

Thanks for this.  I will hold off on picking up an external dac/amp for now. 

Amazon REALLY need to stop discounting headphones - just picked up a pair of on sale AKG K551's without knowing anything about them.

You'll get to the stage where you've got a wall full of mid tier headphones that you love each of for different reasons, then you'll slip up the high end and make a good few of them redundant like I just did...  They're not all redundant though and that includes the HD598s... 

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #4,272 of 7,535
  You'll get to the stage where you've got a wall full of mid tier headphones that you love each of for different reasons, then you'll slip up the high end and make a good few of them redundant like I just did...  They're not all redundant though and that includes the HD598s... 

I am on that journey, right now. It looks like the 598s are your only Sennheisers; what do you love about the HD-598s, versus other 'phones in your collection?

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #4,273 of 7,535
  I totally see where you are coming from.  Try a track like Conviction by Deicide from the album 'To Hell with God'.  This is a seriously heavy yet amazingly produced album.  On the HD598s, I'm sure you will be impressed as it sounds impressive through anything, but the 598s present the song in a little too well mannered a way to me.  What other headphones do you have?  On my Hifimans or my Grados, this track is brutal in its ferocity and the dynamics are really eye popping, whereas with the 598s, it's kind of like I'm looking at a nice, clear painting of the track but at a bit of a distance.  There's a certain lack of attack in the treble and a very subtle decay to everything which is what I mean by slow.  I hope you know what I mean.  Opeth's Album, Watershed also sounds a little rolled off and smooth to me.  Listen to the cymbals at the beginning of Heir Apparent.  I'm just wanting that little extra bite for this kind of music...

I think the whole large soundstage, warmth and resonance to these cans sort of takes the leading edge of some music.  This is not always a bad thing, of course.  When I listen to acoustic, intimate vocal stuff and ambient prog, like Pink Floyd's The Wall or The Finla Cut, their magical presentation draws me in both emotionally and aesthetically and I am melted. This kind of music through valves is liquid gold on these headphones. 

I have Sony xb90ex, Koss ksc75, HSA BA100, some meelec in-ears, a really old set of sony mdr XD200 and these. So yeah, I don't have any experience with truly high end audio equipment, but I guess I know what "edge" you speak about. the Ksc75 is more "energetic" with some music (including Conviction ) compared to these. And I totally get the issue with cymbals in Heir Apparent. it definitely isn't ideal. bit too smooth and polite.

Nonetheless, I'm very happy with my purchase. it isn't perfect but it is quite close to it for what I use it for (mainly acoustic and vocal music). I guess when I get "bored" of it, I'll just get a more energetic pair of headphones for a good contrast :)

thanks for the reply :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #4,274 of 7,535
Picked these up for $99 on black friday. Have experienced quite a few headphones, topping out around the $600 range, and these are by far the best ive experienced that are under $250 new.

The akg k7xx i have coming might change that though.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #4,275 of 7,535

Sounds JUST like me. So what do you then do with those redundant midrange headphones? Can you bear to part with any? I find It next to impossible. Only way is if I tell myself I'm using the money from selling some of them for a new high end headphone. But then it takes the time and patience to sell a few!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back