Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #4,126 of 7,535
I just bought the small HIFIMAM amp and I am using the stock tubes. I prefer this to the to the Asgard 1. Right now I have to maintain two residences, so have the vali on order. I am expecting a similar performance

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #4,128 of 7,535
I pulled the trigger here as well.  Hopefully works out great.  They had the Fidelio X1 too, but that deal was not smokin like this one!

I got up early for the X1 deal,but yeah for 170$ wasn't a good deal ,i was hoping $100.
Im more than happy ,i got the hd598 for $99, awesome deal.:)
Now im on the lookout for the fidelio X2

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #4,130 of 7,535
  Guys, is removing the 598 earpads in the same manner as with for example a HD600? I don't want to unnecessarily stress it.

Not too sure myself, but I have removed the ear pads. Basically they are on a solid ring that snaps in place. Gently pry up and out from the inside with one finger (usually the top or bottom works best) until one section pops out, and the rest just pulls off easy.

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #4,132 of 7,535
Yes! Just top and bottom force indeed detaches the ring and earpad from the cup. This baby needs cleaning!

Thanks man
smily_headphones1.gif

No problem. Just watch out for hairs getting on the driver (or any debris) as it will cause rattle/distortion.

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #4,134 of 7,535
  Ya, but in normal circumstances the black fabric should keep any rubbish out.

I thought that about my DT 770 Pro's, and wow thankfully there was another barrier of white fabric on the grille because it looked like under a car seat.  The previous owner was a slob. Just saying be careful because you don't want to compromise their wonderful sound.

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,135 of 7,535
Hey guys, I recently became HD598 owners club member (got it for 100 on black friday) and I'm intereated in your recommendations for shorter aftermarket cables. I'm just looking for something more manageable lengthwise preferably with 3,5 mm jack :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #4,136 of 7,535
Hey guys, I recently became HD598 owners club member (got it for 100 on black friday) and I'm intereated in your recommendations for shorter aftermarket cables. I'm just looking for something more manageable lengthwise preferably with 3,5 mm jack
smily_headphones1.gif

Read a page or two back. You can pick up this cable, 1M long and has the 3.5mm with adapter, for $20 on eBay or Amazon. This one is black, but they are actually a burgundy red.

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #4,137 of 7,535

Read a page or two back. You can pick up this cable, 1M long and has the 3.5mm with adapter, for $20 on eBay or Amazon. This one is black, but they are actually a burgundy red.

beerchug.gif

thanks for the reply. saw your impressions on them. they seem good enough for 16-17$ and the color seems like a nice fit for the HD598.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #4,138 of 7,535
hello
made an account to ask this because I've googled and I can't find a clear answer

I've had my HD 598's for a few months now and I want to use them on my PC
however, currently they sound absolutely terrible on my PC
I assume it's my motherboards (maximus V gene) built in sound

so would I need a dedicated sound card/amp/DAC?

I saw in a previous post someone mention the schiit magni
would that be all I need?

lol I want to get rid of this icon

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #4,139 of 7,535
hello made an account to ask this because I've googled and I can't find a clear answer

It depends on what you mean by "sounds terrible". It could also be that you don't like the sound of the headphones, in which case neither a DAC or amp will do much.

An amp won't provide any benefit if you don't also add an external DAC to your computer. Internal sound cards are terrible for hi-fi audio purposes. At a minimum you should get the Schiit Modi along with the Magni.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #4,140 of 7,535
  hello
made an account to ask this because I've googled and I can't find a clear answer

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

The Senn HD-598s are easy to drive, so you don't *need* an external DAC/amp for these. If your PC sound card is that terrible, try just plugging your new 'phones into your smartphone and playing some music from there and see if you like the sound. Take some time to acclimate to the sound with music you really like, before spending more money.

For myself, I use the 598s at work with a MacBook Pro into a DragonFly USB DAC and a FiiO E11K amp. Sounds nice, I think, for the money. The Magni/Modi stack is a popular recommendation on Head-Fi, so you can't go wrong, but don't expect miracles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back