Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #4,096 of 7,535
Thank You guys, You've been very helpful. I'll look for loose hair when I get back from work (it's a very plausible scenario in my case). In case it's not the hair, what else could be causing this behavior?

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #4,098 of 7,535
Hello guys am newbe arround here,i have my 598s for about 3-4 months and i loved them cause of that airy sound,so by some reviews i red i decided to get a new amp&dac combo and maybe they will sound better *who knows* . So i bought the Fiio e17 and currently i have it hooked up to my pc with Optical Cable.I have this amp for about 5 days now...yes its louder more natural but i think the 598s lost the airiness which i was loving. Is it something with the Burn in - session i have to wait for ...or its just what this amp&dac does :/ ?

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #4,101 of 7,535
  Well i was using the usb before change to optical but actually there was no difference .. it should be?

I find from the experience with my Fiio products that they have a quite narrow soundstage. Other amps/DACs do a better job of expanding, or at least not shrinking the soundstage. It really depends on the music you are listening to, sometimes it doesn't matter at all.
Cheers,
K

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #4,102 of 7,535

I find from the experience with my Fiio products that they have a quite narrow soundstage. Other amps/DACs do a better job of expanding, or at least not shrinking the soundstage. It really depends on the music you are listening to, sometimes it doesn't matter at all.
Cheers,
K

So its all about the amp/Dac in your opinion,well thanks thats something.Are there any suggestions for these kind of amps? Helping with Soundstage.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #4,103 of 7,535
  So its all about the amp/Dac in your opinion,well thanks thats something.Are there any suggestions for these kind of amps? Helping with Soundstage.

From own experience, I can say that the Audioengine D3, JDS Labs C5D are great with the HD598.

If you prefer more desktop amps, the Schiit products generally pair great with Sennheiser. I use the Valhalla currently on my 598 and love the results...

Cheers,
K

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4,104 of 7,535

From own experience, I can say that the Audioengine D3, JDS Labs C5D are great with the HD598.

If you prefer more desktop amps, the Schiit products generally pair great with Sennheiser. I use the Valhalla currently on my 598 and love the results...

Cheers,
K

Thanks a lot bro :) Any opinion on Audioengine D2? i heard it has some realy good results

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #4,105 of 7,535
Thanks a lot bro :) Any opinion on Audioengine D2? i heard it has some realy good results

Welcome.

Heard good things about the D2 but no personal experience unfortunately.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4,106 of 7,535
They play very nicely out of the HRT Microstreamer. This is the best I've ever heard them sound (compared to E11, Asus STX). In fact, the Microstreamer has sent my whole rig a few notches higher.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4,107 of 7,535

The D3 IMO is not worth the extra $20. I would go with the D1 as it has the digital spdif in as well as RCA outs (as opposed to a Y cable).

Correct. FiiO IMO is great for the price, but honestly am not impressed with their choice in outdated (cheap and abundant) Wolfsen DAC . Anyway, Like I suggested, the Audioengine D1 is fantastic; Adds weight/warmth in the low end but retains the clarity and soundstage is fantastic. Very airy and wide. I posted many many posts back the the Audioengine D1 and the HD598 are a perfect match!

Don't get the D2. Not worth it for the sake of being wireless. The D2 is great for matching up their 'A' series speakers (which are BTW fantastic!)
beerchug.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #4,108 of 7,535

The D3 IMO is not worth the extra $20. I would go with the D1 as it has the digital spdif in as well as RCA outs (as opposed to a Y cable).

Correct. FiiO IMO is great for the price, but honestly am not impressed with their choice in outdated (cheap and abundant) Wolfsen DAC . Anyway, Like I suggested, the Audioengine D1 is fantastic; Adds weight/warmth in the low end but retains the clarity and soundstage is fantastic. Very airy and wide. I posted many many posts back the the Audioengine D1 and the HD598 are a perfect match!

Don't get the D2. Not worth it for the sake of being wireless. The D2 is great for matching up their 'A' series speakers (which are BTW fantastic!)
beerchug.gif

Well i was wrong when saying about the D2 i was meaning the D1 cause the D2 is a wireless edition...i just missred. Good thanks too about the suggestions :)

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #4,110 of 7,535
Amazon has it on sale for $99 ! ordered one ,can't wait to try it.

Saw that also. I was contemplating in getting one.

To those who already have this, is the HD598 hard to drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back